• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your Problem With Guns or Gays Is Not Political

sudden valley gunner

A well written article by a friend of mine. I don't just like it because I am the "Rob" in the article.....;)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robin...-guns-or-gays-is-not-political_b_5571755.html

FUQ- "Last month I did something I'd done only once before: I went to a range and shot some guns. Lots of guns. All shapes, ages and sizes.
This is a very strange thing to do for a guy born British. Guns feature nowhere in British culture. "

sudden valley gunner

Originally I was going to take Robin hiking and shoot in my spot. I decided instead to ask John for his expertise in training new shooters, I think I made the right choice.

Much kudos to MSGLaigaie, for helping make this happen and all his hard work in our county in promoting OC and rights.

countryclubjoe

Hi SVG

A good article.

The term " Ethnocentrism' comes to mind.
The Belief that ones own cultural group is superior,that one's own cultural beliefs (etc) is normal and others are abnormal.
( See William G.Sumner) "FOLKWAYS"----

Lack of education, lack of reading, cultural bias, personal prejudices, along with our associations, all form the basis for ethnocentrism. A local example would be OC v CC carry, or hand gun v long gun.

Rob aka, SVG, thank you for sharing.

My .02

Best regards

CCJ

sudden valley gunner

Agreed!
Isn't it amazing how a little "hands-on" experience can open somebody's eyes (and attitudes)!

+1

Hi SVG

A good article.

The term " Ethnocentrism' comes to mind.
The Belief that ones own cultural group is superior,that one's own cultural beliefs (etc) is normal and others are abnormal.
( See William G.Sumner) "FOLKWAYS"----

Lack of education, lack of reading, cultural bias, personal prejudices, along with our associations, all form the basis for ethnocentrism. A local example would be OC v CC carry, or hand gun v long gun.

Rob aka, SVG, thank you for sharing.

My .02

Best regards

CCJ

Yep. At Pride in Bellingham yesterday we again had a huge warm welcome. I didn't have that term handy but now I will! Although that was the discussion by many, how association and education breaks down prejudices and fear.

OC for ME

I'll be a dissenter if you will.

If a citizen votes to limit liberty there can be no meeting somewhere in the middle. There is no tolerance of limiting the LGBT community's rights/liberty and there should be none. Yet limiting guns and gun rights is OK.

It works both ways. People who favor more gun regulation are not actually motivated by a desire to take away your liberty. ...
It certainly does not work both ways, and of course they are. No discussing the various viewpoints of the LGBT issue, that is considered intolerant, bigoted. But a discussion of the various viewpoints regarding gun ownership and the exercise of the right is OK, considered rational, tolerance on display.....pfft!! Anyone who claims that they did not know that regulating guns, via their vote, is not limiting their fellow citizen's liberty is nothing but a liberal trying to get you to buy him his next beer.

This is a very strange thing to do for a guy born British. Guns feature nowhere in British culture.
And whose fault is that. The British commoner long ago abdicated their rights to the crown.

Anyway, glad ya had fun at the range.

Redbaron007

Anytime you can get someone to the range and they enjoy it; it is a successful day!! Poor Brit!

As to the comparison of LGBT vs 2A rights argument....I'll leave it up to another thread.

sudden valley gunner

I'll be a dissenter if you will.

If a citizen votes to limit liberty there can be no meeting somewhere in the middle. There is no tolerance of limiting the LGBT community's rights/liberty and there should be none. Yet limiting guns and gun rights is OK.

It certainly does not work both ways, and of course they are. No discussing the various viewpoints of the LGBT issue, that is considered intolerant, bigoted. But a discussion of the various viewpoints regarding gun ownership and the exercise of the right is OK, considered rational, tolerance on display.....pfft!! Anyone who claims that they did not know that regulating guns, via their vote, is not limiting their fellow citizen's liberty is nothing but a liberal trying to get you to buy him his next beer.

And whose fault is that. The British commoner long ago abdicated their rights to the crown.

Anyway, glad ya had fun at the range.

I think what he is saying is most people who vote to limit rights don't see it that way.

From personal conversations with Robin he is absolutely open to discussing issues with the LGBT too.

OC for ME

I think what he is saying is most people who vote to limit rights don't see it that way.
Rationalizing their vote is what he is talking about. Folks do it all the time. "I know this is wrong, voting to limit liberty (guns), but I have a fundamental disagreement where guns are concerned." This is why he misses the mark, his cultural background.

He understands, or so he says. But, how does he vote! That is the only metric that matters.

"I know this is wrong, voting to limit liberty ([strike]guns[/strike] freedom of speech/press), but I have a fundamental disagreement where [strike]guns[/strike] freedom of speech/press are concerned."

"I know this is wrong, voting to limit liberty ([strike]guns[/strike] gay marriage), but I have a fundamental disagreement where [strike]guns[/strike] gay marriage are concerned."

From personal conversations with Robin he is absolutely open to discussing issues with the LGBT too.
He is not the LGBT community. The "tolerant left," the LGBT crowd to be specific in this case, are very far afield of any tolerance. Heck, the LGBT community will use the media to persecute those who hold a different viewpoint. Ask Brendan Eich if a rational conversation can be held with the LGBT community.

We 2A supporters, OCers specifically, on the other hand, are intolerant if we do not engage in the intolerant lefts' specious, false premise laden discussions.

You know him, I do not. I only have his printed words to form a opinion of him. Until he divorces himself from making comparisons, guns and LGBT community, then he may understand that there is liberty for all or there is liberty for none. No comparisons are needed.

Liberty is not a al carte proposition.....liberty is too simple. I'm not so sure he gets that.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
then he may understand that there is liberty for all or there is liberty for none. No comparisons are needed.

Liberty is not a al carte proposition.....liberty is too simple..

This is Truth!
There was a bit of drama over this years picnic. Someone (occupy bellingham) got in the papers and complained about OC Whatcom County would be at "their" picnic and that we "forced" our way into the Pride celebration. None of it was true and after the "gay" community defended us enmasse it was retracted and a rep from occupy actually apologized to SVG.
Rob and I were in the park for our picnic when we ran into a member of the Pride group. She looked at us and said, : Oh it's YOU people." I quickly, but politely replied, " They used to say that when you came into the room." She had nothing to say.

When we were exposing the writer to weaponry I chose the Enfield and told him, "This weapon is the reason you speak english and not german." It gave him a historical anchor point. Very positive.

Last edited:

OC for ME

This is Truth!
There was a bit of drama over this years picnic. Someone (occupy bellingham) got in the papers and complained about OC Whatcom County would be at "their" picnic and that we "forced" our way into the Pride celebration. None of it was true and after the "gay" community defended us enmasse it was retracted and a rep from occupy actually apologized to SVG.
Rob and I were in the park for our picnic when we ran into a member of the Pride group. She looked at us and said, : Oh it's YOU people." I quickly, but politely replied, " They used to say that when you came into the room." She had nothing to say.

When we were exposing the writer to weaponry I chose the Enfield and told him, "This weapon is the reason you speak english and not german." It gave him a historical anchor point. Very positive.
No doubt that he was exposed to important information. How he uses that info remains a mystery to me. Again, how does he vote.

Example: A liberal with a gun, defending our 2A right, yet votes for the likes of Pelousy, Boxer, Schummer, Obama.

I'm still trying to understand why he inserted the LGBT stuff into a story that shows him shooting a rifle.....hmm, very suspicious I am.

sudden valley gunner

No doubt that he was exposed to important information. How he uses that info remains a mystery to me. Again, how does he vote.

Example: A liberal with a gun, defending our 2A right, yet votes for the likes of Pelousy, Boxer, Schummer, Obama.

I'm still trying to understand why he inserted the LGBT stuff into a story that shows him shooting a rifle.....hmm, very suspicious I am.

Because he is showing what I have said for years, and one many like me can relate to. I used to be bigoted toward the gay community, I was taught religiously it was wrong. I never hated them though, I developed a as long as they keep it away from me attitude, why should I care. Then as I got older and met gay people I realized many are good people and my attitude was wrong. I also learned that just because someone is gay doesn't mean they don't have so many other things in common with me and I ended up having some great gay friends.

The same is with some who are culturally afraid/dislike guns. Association and education destroys fear and bigotry.

If you worried he'd vote for welfare state, nope. For more government in any way probably not. He and I differ on borders I am more of an open border guy he is more of a monitored border guy. etc.

Is it for everyone no, but he is for liberty for all although I would say he does as he hints in his article often fall on the conservative side of issues.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

As a gay gun owner...I did not fully read this topic...im sorry

<3

As a gay gun owner, you may enjoy the article.

Our local OC group went to our local Pride event last weekend with tremendous success and a warm welcome by most. Except for a few straight folks who seemed to want to save gay folks from guns.....:p

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
After hearing about the anti gun rhetoric from the "occupy b'ham" SVG and I were in the park attending the Fourth Annual Whatcom County OC picnic. The Pride group was holding a picnic also in another part of the park. Rob and I had to walk thru them to get to the parking lot when we came upon a young lady. She looked at us both(well armed) and said..."Oh, it's YOU people." I quickly replied, "That is what they used to say when YOU came in the room." It gave her a much better perspective. They were pariahs, now we are the pariahs. People will find a reason to hate, it's easy.

sudden valley gunner

After hearing about the anti gun rhetoric from the "occupy b'ham" SVG and I were in the park attending the Fourth Annual Whatcom County OC picnic. The Pride group was holding a picnic also in another part of the park. Rob and I had to walk thru them to get to the parking lot when we came upon a young lady. She looked at us both(well armed) and said..."Oh, it's YOU people." I quickly replied, "That is what they used to say when YOU came in the room." It gave her a much better perspective. They were pariahs, now we are the pariahs. People will find a reason to hate, it's easy.

She ended up supporting us the next day at the booth!