• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

old Coney Island

ps1mhd

Will be going to old Coney Island Saturday (not my choice go or miss out on 8 hrs. pay).
Looking at their policies I found this.

Park Policies
•No person may bring or possess any weapons including concealed firearms on any Coney Island property including buildings, parking lots and private vehicles

I know in Ky they can't do this, but can they in Ohio?

Mike

PS I know they wouldn't be searching cars.

RT48

Parking lots are not a criminal violation rather they would have to sue you in court.

(a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126

RCall

Parking lots are not a criminal violation rather they would have to sue you in court.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126

That states IF the posted land or premises is primarily a parking lot. Isn't the posted land or premises primarily an amusement park? Or, is it primarily a parking lot which has a secondary use as an amusement park? Only if the parking lot were its own separate property then I would believe that would apply. I believe one would have to look at the property as a whole and not just the parking section of the property.

Last edited:

Cerberus

Are they charging you separately for parking? Most facilities of this sort do, if so I think I could make a pretty good argument that the portion of the property on which my car was parked, was mostly a parking lot.

I think the question becomes, do you want to take a chance on dealing with the potential hassle?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Are they charging you separately for parking? Most facilities of this sort do, if so I think I could make a pretty good argument that the portion of the property on which my car was parked, was mostly a parking lot.

I think the question becomes, do you want to take a chance on dealing with the potential hassle?
Dollar and cents has nothing to do with the statute. All that matters under the statute is it a parking lot or parking facility. And don't forget, corporations are in business to make money. In other words, return on investment. Civilly suing over a gun locked in a visitor's car does not seem to result in a wind fall profit.