• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in private residences

MikeLovell

Sorry for the lazy question, I live in Illinois, I'm going to view some houses to buy in Wisconsin over the next few days. Usually I open carry is Wisconsin. I live in Illinois and have Illinois & Utah CCPs.

I'll go going in and out of various residences to look at them. Any laws I should be aware of?

In Illinois you need the owners permission. Which would be rather complicated in this case! Maybe I have to leave the gun behind.

Last edited:

MikeLovell

No such law as preemptorily requiring explicit permission to go armed in another's residence in Wisconsin.

There was in South Carolina and I liked the clarity it brought to the situation.

Tough call. Okay well good news there then.

I guess it's a good idea, but in the case of what I need to do (go into many homes without the owner there to authorize it) then it could get problematic! :)

MikeLovell

In Wisconsin the owner/agent can only prohibit/forbid and NOT authorize.

You have the right under Wisconsin Constitution and law. The owner/agent has the power to forbid who he will.

Thanks everybody.

I don't think the wife will let me OC on hit occasion, but good to know the law is on my side for CC :)

MKEgal

Unless the doors are posted, or the owner tells you you can't carry there, you can carry there, openly or concealed.
Between your concern for your wife's tender sensibilities and potential "oogieness" of the real estate agent or owner, this might be a good time to conceal.

MikeLovell

Unless the doors are posted, or the owner tells you you can't carry there, you can carry there, openly or concealed.
Between your concern for your wife's tender sensibilities and potential "oogieness" of the real estate agent or owner, this might be a good time to conceal.

Yes I went concealed in the end.

We looked at places and plots in Pleasant Prairie. Lovely place.

wimwag

Sorry for the lazy question, I live in Illinois, I'm going to view some houses to buy in Wisconsin over the next few days. Usually I open carry is Wisconsin. I live in Illinois and have Illinois & Utah CCPs.

I'll go going in and out of various residences to look at them. Any laws I should be aware of?

In Illinois you need the owners permission. Which would be rather complicated in this case! Maybe I have to leave the gun behind.

I just bought a house in NW WI and I OCd to every showing. Some of them are foreclosed homes and a lot of the former owners blame the bank for their escrow-related issues (for those unaware, DONT. You don't need a boat, you want one. Big difference.) and I prefer the visual deterrent. One place we were hoping to buy was in great condition before the inspection and then we meet with the inspector and he's like "there's about $10,000 worth of fire damage to the upstairs bathroom." Dude could have been there.

Last edited:

wimwag

I had two agents tell me they had a problem with me carrying. I told them both "Since it's a problem I'm sure you won't mind losing this commission." One offered to pray for me and the other changed her tune. Too late. My guy has mossy oak seat covers in his truck.

MikeLovell

[...] You don't need a boat, you want one. Big difference [...]

I don't know about that. I need it to impress the leeeeedes.

We're going to go for a new build I think. I can feel the clock ticking down until I can leave the People's Republic of Illinois and finally OC all the time.

MKEgal

wimwag said:
I had two agents tell me they had a problem with me carrying. I told them both "Since it's a problem I'm sure you won't mind losing this commission." One offered to pray for me ...
I'd mention that unprofessional behaviour to the supervisor or company owner.
They can have their religion, but forcing it on a customer is wrong.

wimwag

I don't know about that. I need it to impress the leeeeedes.

We're going to go for a new build I think. I can feel the clock ticking down until I can leave the People's Republic of Illinois and finally OC all the time.

Welcome to Wisconsin! We used to be like Killinois a few years ago.

wimwag

Or they can lose sales and I'll tell my friends to avoid them. They (both) also tried to convince me one property wasn't going to qualify for my loan (RD.) The porperties they were trying to show me were well above what I want to pay ($155k, 220k). Well, I bought it. Deal is done on Friday.

Franky

Or they can lose sales and I'll tell my friends to avoid them. They (both) also tried to convince me one property wasn't going to qualify for my loan (RD.) The porperties they were trying to show me were well above what I want to pay ($155k, 220k). Well, I bought it. Deal is done on Friday.

Or the two realtors can tell their broker they wish not to work with anyone who openly carries a firearm. They also have a choice of avoidance. The behaviour factor is also two sided.

wimwag

Or the two realtors can tell their broker they wish not to work with anyone who openly carries a firearm. They also have a choice of avoidance. The behaviour factor is also two sided.

You're the expert in bad behavior.

idodishez

While I have an issue with someone offering to pray for me because I'm carrying a firearm (I'm legally exercising my RTKABA, I don't have a disease), I hardly consider her offer to pray "forcing her religion on a customer". I've offered or told someone id pray for them many times. (Though never in a way to imply something was wrong w them). Should she be fired like the bank teller who was terminated for telling customers to have a blessed day?

Too much PC crap already. We don't need more.

"I miss America"

MKEgal

idodishez said:
I hardly consider her offer to pray "forcing her religion on a customer". I've offered or told someone id pray for them many times. (Though never in a way to imply something was wrong w them). Should she be fired like the bank teller who was terminated for telling customers to have a blessed day?
She shouldn't have been fired unless she continued the unacceptable behaviour after being warned not to do it.

And I didn't say the agents should be fired, only that their supervisor should know about it. S/he might want to have a chat with them about making customers uncomfortable, bringing private matters into the workplace, not tarnishing the company's image, etc. Your jumping to them being fired leads me to believe that you know their actions were unacceptable, and their supervisor would see it that way & take action to prevent it happening again.

I see it as no more acceptable than talking about the sex acts they were committing last night.
Some things are private and should not be shared with (especially forced on) random strangers, particularly in a work setting.
If it's someone you know, and you know they're religious and will be comforted by your offer, go ahead & tell them you'll pray for them. If you're not certain, don't do it.

JustaShooter

I'm with idodishez, I don't consider saying you will pray for someone to be forcing your religion on them. I think it is silly to say such a thing simply because they are carrying a gun, but it doesn't cross the line in my opinion.