• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NG deployed to Chicago?

wimwag

http://www.thenewsnerd.com/local/82-shot-chicago-considered-war-zone-military-deployed/

I originally questioned the story but I've been told by a friend and a friend of a friend that the NG is indeed deployed in Chicago. No word of this on the local news.

This is the result of a liberal society and strict gun laws. I think it's about time to call up the militia, though they won't because armed citizens will show up and refute their claims that guns in private hands equates to more bloodshed.

Edit: to be clear, I really doubt the story. If it did happen I'm sure BBC would gleefully jump all over it to trumpet how well their own system "works." (If requiring their unarmed police to be armed so they can win fights against rioters is "working")

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Here's your first clue the story is phoney:

Mayor Rahm Emmanuel has called on the assistance of the United States military to help patrol the blood-soaked streets of Chicago. The unprecedented move is one step away from declaring total martial law in the nation’s third most populous city.

When local law enfporcement is no longer capable of maintaing law & order the procedure is usually 1) engage mutual assistance plans with surrounding jurisdictions, 2) call the State Police, and finally 3) ask the Governor to activate the state's National Guard in its role as the state militia.

The "United States military" is prevented by Possee Comitatus from engaging in local law enforcement - except in some very limited and restricted circumstances.

The U.S. military will act as a liaison for the Chicago Police Department and will not be given free reign to enforce the law, at least at this moment.
seems to be some editorial speaker's wet dream.

The recent spate of deaths from gunfire really is not something that the National Guard as State Militia can help control, let alone reduce. The 4th Amendment helps keep that lid firmly in place.

Finally, the shoulder patches of those people wearing gang colors are not US military/Illinois NG unit patches.

While it might be fun for Hizzoner the Mare and the Cheat of Police to wish for a military intervention that includes door-to-door door kicking in and warantless searches and confiscation of property as well as warantless detention of anybody they do not like, it will not be happening due to the inability of the CPD to stem the tide of shooting of firearms by people who are not legally qualified to possess them.

stay safe.

wimwag

Well, if the 82nd deployed to Detroit (terrible job, by the way) and only troubled those going to work, I'm sure the libs will have no problem using federal troops against the innocent people of Chicago. I too am often guilty of pretending to do something at work.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's all political grandstanding. I don't think any of those clowns have any idea of what the NG might be able to do if it was deployed in a law enforcement role.

The NG is real good at traffic control, crowd control, and detention of those rounded up. Actually investigating a crime? Not so much.

And put a lone NG pouge out there with a M-4 to patrol the mean streets and just how long until there would be a NG pouge without a M-4 (and the rest of whatever battle rattle they had) laying in the mean streets? BTW - there are not enough NG troops to deploy a full squad (14 troops) over very much territory, and at that size they are too conspicuous and cumbersome to do much against the lone BG or chase after some drive-by.

Sadly, the voters will not understand that an admission that the cops cannot effectively maintain order is an admission of the failure of the city and CPD administrations. They'll just keep voting in whoever gives them the most free stuff.

stay safe.