Thread: PRINTING in Illinois

PRINTING in Illinois

Not an OC question, but still...

When I took my CCP course they told me the police don't want printing. When I went back to research the level of printing I couldn't find anything in the statute.

Maybe I juts don't know the terminology used.

Anyone know what the law says about printing?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLovell View Post
    [ ... ]Anyone know what the law says about printing?
    Public Act 098-0063 HB0183 Enrolled LRB098 05760 MGM 35799 b AN ACT concerning regulation.

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois, represented in the General Assembly:

Section 1. Short title. This Act may be cited as the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

Section 5. Definitions. As used in this Act:
    [ ... ]
    "Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a vehicle.

Section 10. Issuance of licenses to carry a concealed firearm.
    [ ... ]
    (c) A license shall be valid throughout the State for a period of 5 years from the date of issuance. A license shall permit the licensee to:
    (1) carry a loaded or unloaded concealed firearm, fully concealed or partially concealed, on or about his or her person; and
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-12-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Public Act 098-0063 HB0183 Enrolled LRB098 05760 MGM 35799 b AN ACT concerning regulation.

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois, represented in the General Assembly:

Section 1. Short title. This Act may be cited as the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

Section 5. Definitions. As used in this Act:
    [ ... ]
    "Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a vehicle.
    Ah, I thought it was a different clause or something.

I guess we won't fully know until somebody gets busted!

Well how else are going to get a permit if Illinois cops don't like printing... Badda Bing!
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Well how else are going to get a permit if Illinois cops don't like printing... Badda Bing!
    You'll be here all week?

It would seem Illinois may have a form of Open Carry built into the law as ITW holster-carry appears to qualify as concealed under the law.

Not an OC question, but still...

When I took my CCP course they told me the police don't want printing. When I went back to research the level of printing I couldn't find anything in the statute.

Maybe I juts don't know the terminology used.

Anyone know what the law says about printing?
    Maybe your instructor is right and where you live the police don't want printing. However the law says nothing about printing, just that your handgun needs to be concealed or mostly concealed. Your police many not want you carrying on a FCCL either, doesn't matter either.

Quote Originally Posted by junglebob View Post
    Maybe your instructor is right and where you live the police don't want printing. However the law says nothing about printing, just that your handgun needs to be concealed or mostly concealed. Your police many not want you carrying on a FCCL either, doesn't matter either.
    Yes, this is what they probably meant. I guess when they trained the trainers, they were told this.

Until somebody gets charged and we have a test case, I'm still a bit nervous about that. You know what the police are like here.

Yes, this is what they probably meant. I guess when they trained the trainers, they were told this.

Until somebody gets charged and we have a test case, I'm still a bit nervous about that. You know what the police are like here.

I don't recall the instructor in my concealed carry class warning about printing. I think I would have remembered. Of course I am in Southern Illinois, south of I64 and over 300 miles from Chicago so things are more gun friendly here. A local bank has a sign that says SECURITY NOTICE: The lawful carry of concealed firearms is permitted on this property. A bank in another town has a sign that says Protected by Smith & Wesson, the bank president says some of his employees carry, and always have.
    Last edited by junglebob; 07-23-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Are we talking about printing not intentionally, or intentional printing because OC is not legal in Illinios. If the second there would be better ways to let people know you are armed. Some of the CC crowd around here are prone to wearing gun branded clothing, which does not make sense in NC, but would in Illinois. There is no law anywhere that I know of against wearing such clothing.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Are we talking about printing not intentionally, or intentional printing because OC is not legal in Illinios. If the second there would be better ways to let people know you are armed. Some of the CC crowd around here are prone to wearing gun branded clothing, which does not make sense in NC, but would in Illinois. There is no law anywhere that I know of against wearing such clothing.
    Well, this is something else that's debatable.

Although having the bottom half of your holster sticking out from under your shirt, and the barrel being visible would technically not be against the exact wording of the law. I would imagine as soon as somebody tries the courts will clarify exactly what's supposed to happen.

I wouldn't risk it personally. Not unless everybody will have a whip around for my legal costs!

I have a lot of holsters that cover >50% of the firearm. I'd certainly be arrested. But the law is clumsily written and I don't think it would be against the law (as written). I also don't see a judge agreeing with me though.