• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Target does not seem to mind police shoplifting ...

Freedom1Man

Primus

He should charged. Especially if he's been positively identified and target wants to press charges.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

countryclubjoe

Petty thieves are not created over night. I am of the opinion that this is not the first rodeo for the alleged thief.

I would suspect that the tape/tapes will come to light during the civil litigation.

The only brave sole in this whole incident is the young store security guard/detective and I wish him much success in his future litigation.

Hopefully we will see some positive actions taken by the local PD. They(PD) have nothing to gain by protecting an alleged petty thief.

My .02

Regards

CCJ

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
If anyone has specific information on an individual consider posting it, but please relate to the total numbers in the control group - no wide brush strokes here please.

I don't think that Target's decision to defend the thief is relative to a single individual myself. I hypothesize that cops are now like the mafia..insult one and you insult them all and they will return the insult. That's why Target let this particular person go...to avoid a mob-like retaliation. Everyone knows how cops treat people who they think mistreat their own...

Some companies just use the civil world remedies and ban a person from a store; Target almost always calls the cops...

What happens when you're accused of shoplifting at a huge corporate chain like Target? Well, even if the evidence is thin, they don't let you off with a slap on the wrist. Nicola, an (innocent, she argues) shopper who was picked up at one of the retailer's Brooklyn outposts, was hauled handcuffed out of the store, thrown in the back of a police car and taken to a jail in Bed-Stuy, where she spent ten hours in a jail cell and was charged with Petty Larceny, a crime that could land her in the clink. Deciding to fight back, she's hired an attorney and is blogging about her plight. http://ny.racked.com/archives/2008/03/31/nightmare_target_arrests_you_f.php

So I don't see any difference except that its a cop. Any cop that steals is more dangerous than your average shoplifter IMO.