• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lt. Gov Dan Patrick supports Constitutional carry!

Count

Founder's Club Member
I had several lengthy meetings with Dan Patrick who is currently in the Senate and as of next year he'll replace Dewhurst. He is a strong supporter of Constitutional carry and he will allow all the votes on it and support it. DO NOT shortchange yourselves by having your contacts file an Oklahoma style open carry for license holders only when this is a unique chance for straight Constitutional Carry. The polls show a huge tea party wave this fall and both the House and Senate will be as pro gun as we'll probably see it. We have the votes and we have the momentum. Call Dan Patrick politely and urge him to support Constitutional carry. Know that he knows what it is and supports it. The reason we need to call because politicians like to know that what they are doing is popular and a couple thousand polite calls will definitely help.

Count

Founder's Club Member
Not yet. The issues we had with the legislature on several pro gun issues before was that the House leader Straus and the outgoing Lt Gov Dewhurst were major roadblocks to true reform and were playing dirty games. I believe we do have a serious chance this time to pass an Arizona style Constitutional carry. We need to come up with a bill and some strong sponsors for it! I just happened to be lucky enough to have Dan's ears for a few hours and we have a true pro Second Amendment friend in him!

davidmcbeth

Banned
Not yet. The issues we had with the legislature on several pro gun issues before was that the House leader Straus and the outgoing Lt Gov Dewhurst were major roadblocks to true reform and were playing dirty games. I believe we do have a serious chance this time to pass an Arizona style Constitutional carry. We need to come up with a bill and some strong sponsors for it! I just happened to be lucky enough to have Dan's ears for a few hours and we have a true pro Second Amendment friend in him!

Write one yourself ! You can do this ... then email it the folks in the committee it needs to be brought up in ...

SteveInCO

Write one yourself ! You can do this ... then email it the folks in the committee it needs to be brought up in ...

Speaking as an outsider, the ideal bill would be one that repeals existing language (i.e., whatever law it is you have there that prohibits open carry, as well as the other language that prohibits concealed carry except with a permit), rather than just writing another exception into the languages that's there.

That would serve to make the law book thinner.

[The last "constitutional carry" bill I saw here in CO was, quite frankly, stupid. Instead of repealing bad language, it merely said "oh and being a Colorado resident and not forbidden to own a gun is also an exception to our ban on CC," leaving all the other Bravo Sierra language in the statues, and STILL leaving out-of-staters from states with no reciprocity high, dry, and defenseless in Denver, where OC is also forbidden.]

I would, however, suggest leaving the permit bureaucracy in place so that people who want to CC while traveling in other states can have reciprocity there.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Speaking as an outsider, the ideal bill would be one that repeals existing language (i.e., whatever law it is you have there that prohibits open carry, as well as the other language that prohibits concealed carry except with a permit), rather than just writing another exception into the languages that's there.

That would serve to make the law book thinner.

[The last "constitutional carry" bill I saw here in CO was, quite frankly, stupid. Instead of repealing bad language, it merely said "oh and being a Colorado resident and not forbidden to own a gun is also an exception to our ban on CC," leaving all the other Bravo Sierra language in the statues, and STILL leaving out-of-staters from states with no reciprocity high, dry, and defenseless in Denver, where OC is also forbidden.]

I would, however, suggest leaving the permit bureaucracy in place so that people who want to CC while traveling in other states can have reciprocity there.

You know that sounds like a lame reason .... so you accept the gov't ability to regulate your right?

nobama

You know that sounds like a lame reason .... so you accept the gov't ability to regulate your right?

Baby steps. One of the main reasons I have a CCP, is to be able to carry in other states. The first thing to get done is to make OC of a handgun legal, then move towards constitutional carry, IMO.

stealthyeliminator

Isn't it the case that even some states, or at least one state with constitutional carry still has a licensing bureaucracy just so that residents have an option for having reciprocity with other states that don't have constitutional carry? Of course it'd be ideal to have constitutional carry across the board but until that happens I suppose it'd still be good to have the reciprocity. Unless you wanted to just rely on non-resident permits...

OCT should be working on a set of bills to repeal many of the non-sense restrictions, not just modify language to remove the concealment requirement from the CHL laws.

()pen(arry

How, exactly, are you going to deal with Joe Straus? Republican legislators in the Texas House trip over themselves in their mad scramble to be the first to vote for him as Speaker. I just don't see any realistic path to OC in Texas before Texas turns blue in 6 years. The sad reality is that Texas has been so solidly Republican for so long that there's absolutely zero incentive for Republicans to give two squirts of rat piss about liberty. When Texas turns blue, they'll make grandiose gestures, but it will be all show, and far too late. Good game, Republicans. Thanks for nothing. I lived there for 18 years, and I get greater liberties in Washington than I ever did there.

Jack House

Should he then break the law or just not carry in those states? :uhoh:

I want the license to stay for reciprocity and background check reasons. I want to be able to carry while traveling through Oklahoma to Kansas to visit my brother and everytime I buy a gun, I am delayed. Every. Single. Time.

Count

Founder's Club Member
How, exactly, are you going to deal with Joe Straus? Republican legislators in the Texas House trip over themselves in their mad scramble to be the first to vote for him as Speaker. I just don't see any realistic path to OC in Texas before Texas turns blue in 6 years. The sad reality is that Texas has been so solidly Republican for so long that there's absolutely zero incentive for Republicans to give two squirts of rat piss about liberty. When Texas turns blue, they'll make grandiose gestures, but it will be all show, and far too late. Good game, Republicans. Thanks for nothing. I lived there for 18 years, and I get greater liberties in Washington than I ever did there.

Straus gets voted in by the whole House. 100% of the democrats and about 20 redcoats from the Republican side join together and silence the rest of the Conservatives.... Now that you got educated on how it works you can keep daydreaming about democrats or as you call it blue getting you anything but tyranny, Saul Alinsky communism or Obama style dictatorship. I hope you vote a day late....

SteveInCO

As StealthyEliminator and Jack House have apparently realized, you misconstrue me perfectly.

If my suggestion were followed a person in Texas would NOT require any sort permit to carry either way. But that's in Texas. The permit would exist so people who wanted to travel elsewhere, in a non-Constitutional state, could whip out their (otherwise useless) Texas permit to carry there. Texas--and Texans--CANNOT change the law in the other state but the Texas government CAN help their people out by giving them the means to concealed carry over there, in spite of that other state's infringement.

If the permit goes away, Texans are *screwed* in other states. Vermonters cannot carry in most other states either, because they have no permit to be subject to reciprocity. As I understand it, Alaska did it right; they kept the permit process, but do not themselves require the permit. But other states will recognize it.

()pen(arry

Straus gets voted in by the whole House. 100% of the democrats and about 20 redcoats from the Republican side join together and silence the rest of the Conservatives.... Now that you got educated on how it works you can keep daydreaming about democrats or as you call it blue getting you anything but tyranny, Saul Alinsky communism or Obama style dictatorship. I hope you vote a day late....
This post epitomizes the gross ignorance and blind loyalty of the typical Republican voter.

Joe Straus became Speaker for the second time in 2011 on a vote of 132-15. The House was 99 Republicans and 51 Democrats. In 2013, he became Speaker by voice vote because no one was running against him, so complete was his support. The House was 95 Republicans and 55 Democrats. Joe Straus is not becoming Speaker by narrow margins and thanks to Democrats. Joe Straus is becoming Speaker due to the near-total lack of objection from Republicans.

Don't be a partisan hack. Texas doesn't have OC entirely thanks to Republicans. There is no one else to blame.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Should he then break the law or just not carry in those states? :uhoh:

I want the license to stay for reciprocity and background check reasons. I want to be able to carry while traveling through Oklahoma to Kansas to visit my brother and everytime I buy a gun, I am delayed. Every. Single. Time.

Break what law? The 2nd amendment? Supreme law of the land.

Jack House

could whip out their (otherwise useless) Texas permit
I wouldn't call it useless. You need the permit to protect you from the feds in GFSZs in Texas and most importantly of all, the permit allows you to bypass NICS. Which I have already stated allows me to skip the two day waiting period while the feds break out my record to see that my arrest 10 years ago was a BS charge that got dismissed.

SteveInCO

I wouldn't call it useless. You need the permit to protect you from the feds in GFSZs in Texas and most importantly of all, the permit allows you to bypass NICS. Which I have already stated allows me to skip the two day waiting period while the feds break out my record to see that my arrest 10 years ago was a BS charge that got dismissed.

GFSZs meaning schools of course. As far as I know the PO and military bases are always off limits. (Though we have a base here with a public gun range--obviously they allow guns at that rage!)

I had forgotten about the NICS thing. Probably because we don't have that nice little bonus here in Colorado (an improvement we could certainly stand to make, since there's just no prospect of getting rid of the background check). Two day waiting period? Wow. We don't have that here either (we just have the time it takes for the background check, done here by CBI, and that's usually well under an hour though during the last panic it got as high as nine days), and I'm glad.

Count

Founder's Club Member
Ideally we won't end up with a system where CCW holders have one set of places prohibited for carry and those who don't have a CCW have a different set of laws to follow. To give you an example: in Arizona you need a permit and you can only carry concealed in a non-posted alcohol establishment....

Jack House

GFSZs meaning schools of course.
More specifically the 1,000ft exclusion zone around a school.

I had forgotten about the NICS thing. Probably because we don't have that nice little bonus here in Colorado (an improvement we could certainly stand to make, since there's just no prospect of getting rid of the background check). Two day waiting period? Wow. We don't have that here either (we just have the time it takes for the background check, done here by CBI, and that's usually well under an hour though during the last panic it got as high as nine days), and I'm glad.
The waiting period only effects me, because I was arrested when I was 18 and the FBI has to dig out my buried record to see that the case was dismissed. With my CHL there is no waiting period, I fill out the form and am on my way.

Background checks should not take 9 days to complete. By law, the ATF has 3 days to respond to a background check and if they do not, the dealer is free to release the firearm to you. If your dealer makes you wait more than 9 days, or doesn't honor your CHL(assuming your CHL qualifies as an alternative to NICS like mine does), then your dealer is a PoS and you should find a new one.