Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Places to shoot around the Valley?

Places to shoot around the Valley?

I understand I can go to Shooters World or Scottsdale Gun Club but I am wondering if there are any good places to shoot around the valley for hopefully the price of free99? My wife has been talking with me and wants to go out and shoot my gun and get a good feel for it should she have to use it with me not home. Any help would be awesome, thanks guys!

Table Mesa Rec area would most likely be your best bet. Be aware of fire restrictions!

http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/recreation/shoot.html
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 07-15-2014 at 04:02 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

This state is blessed with BLM land. Take advantage of it, just don't abuse it!

Quote Originally Posted by Javelina View Post
    I understand I can go to Shooters World or Scottsdale Gun Club but I am wondering if there are any good places to shoot around the valley for hopefully the price of free99? My wife has been talking with me and wants to go out and shoot my gun and get a good feel for it should she have to use it with me not home. Any help would be awesome, thanks guys!
    It isn't free, but Caswells Indoor Shooting Range in Mesa has Ladies' Night on Tuesdays and Fridays. This is the range I use when I take out a family member, and I make it Ladies' Night if it is a female member of the family; helps reassure them when there is a handful of women shooting and only one or two yucky men to ruin the atmosphere.

It would be $15 for you and $0 for yours; if you bring you own ammo and gun, that should be all you end up paying.
    Just try to avoid the older lady who works there.

*Shooting range pricing
    http://www.caswells.com/range.aspx
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

@Javelina

Well I always end up with a few free passes that get wasted for SGC, so if She didn't mind us being there and shooting too, you're welcome to some free range time. If she wants to try smaller versions of your pistol I have a G26(9mm) or G27(40) she can try?
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 07-15-2014 at 07:07 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

+1000 FOR EVERYONE!!! lol

Thanks everyone. I think we will try ladies night first and then I will definitely meet up with FreeInAZ (Rusty you should come too!) and then hopefully she can try a few different handguns (and maybe even end up wanting one to carry ) next I will be needing to get ammo. I have been looking at Cheaper Than Dirt and they seem to have a good selection so I will get some from them asap. If anyone that uses Glocks life myself or FreeInAZ (2 people that I know that do) please share what practice ammo you use and why. I want something smooth for her yet not far from the real thing as she would have to use real deal ammo in an emergency. Thanks guys!

Javelina - in 40s&w almost all FMJ ammo well be loaded to similar specs. Remember s&w 40 is a over-pressured round to begin with, so it's one of the rounds drawbacks. I would say you are fine using any non bi-metal jacketed practice rounds at a indoor range. They are fussy about that. Magtech is usually on sale at SGC and for members it's 10% of in addition. Winchester white, American Eagle, etc.. are all good practice rounds too IMHO.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 07-15-2014 at 08:20 PM.

CTD are dirt bag gougers- avoid feeding those trolls if possible please. These are the same aholes that were charging $100 for a $9 box of wolf ammo during the panic!

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    CTD are dirt bag gougers- avoid feeding those trolls if possible please. These are the same aholes that were charging $100 for a $9 box of wolf ammo during the panic!
    +1 re:CTD

I get my practice ammo online at Georgia Arms. Good ammo, great prices.

Places to shoot around the Valley?

Luckygunner is pretty good as well, I will admit they had their share of rice gouging as well but no where near as bad as CTD.
    Last edited by jrmullen93; 07-15-2014 at 11:37 PM. Reason: add to add my see CTD comment

Thanks everyone. I think we will try ladies night first and then I will definitely meet up with FreeInAZ (Rusty you should come too!) and then hopefully she can try a few different handguns (and maybe even end up wanting one to carry )
    Depending on when you want to go, I'll try to make it so she can try my 1911 in .45 ACP; all-steel construction makes for low recoil.

next I will be needing to get ammo. I have been looking at Cheaper Than Dirt and they seem to have a good selection so I will get some from them asap. If anyone that uses Glocks life myself or FreeInAZ (2 people that I know that do) please share what practice ammo you use and why. I want something smooth for her yet not far from the real thing as she would have to use real deal ammo in an emergency. Thanks guys!
    SNIP...Magtech is usually on sale at SGC and for members it's 10% of in addition. Winchester white, American Eagle, etc.. are all good practice rounds too IMHO.
    Besides the brands FreeInAZ mentioned, I'd recommend Sellier & Bellot as well as Fiocchi; both seem to run a tad hotter than WWB, and are a LOT cleaner. No problems in the few hundred rounds I've run, of each, through my 1911. Of course, my experience has been with .45 ACP alone.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 07-16-2014 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Punctuation
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by jegoodin View Post
    +1 re:CTD

I get my practice ammo online at Georgia Arms. Good ammo, great prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmullen93 View Post
    Luckygunner is pretty good as well, I will admit they had their share of rice gouging as well but no where near as bad as CTD.
    The Armory was also selling at astronomical prices ($.50/rd of steel-cased FMJ Wolf 7.62X39).
    A good practice would be for more people to refuse to be gouged during times of relative scarcity, and then to refuse to patronize said gougers in times of plenty.

I haven't tried Georgia Arms, but I can recommend J&G Sales (www.jgsales.com/). They're based in Flagstaff, AZ, and they've always had great customer service (in my dealings with them, at least). Even during the panic, their prices were fairly reasonable.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 07-16-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Train Me Arizona was set up as a source for places to shoot as well as for training. AzCDL is a sponsor of Train Me Arizona. We sell their maps at our website and you can get them at our gun show tables.

Caveat - The supply of maps is running out and there will not be a reprint in the near future.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post

Caveat - The supply of maps is running out and there will not be a reprint in the near future.

Fred
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe you can also have these maps printed at Wide World Of Maps in Phoenix?

Looks like BLM is my only choice???

For those who may have forgotten )since I handle myself in a more adult manner I feel ) I am unfortunately only 19 and Caswell's won't let me shoot at their range. Will SGC let me shoot or is BLM land my only choice if I wanted to take only my wife and I out first? Also thanks for the info on CTD I will look into Georgia or maybe J&G as I like supporting local AZ businesses

So far looks like this is the winner for practice ammo: http://www.luckygunner.com/tula-40-s...jtulablack-500

Just gonna save up some bucks then will probably take her out to Ben Avery.
    Last edited by Javelina; 07-16-2014 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Becuase I had to!

For those who may have forgotten )since I handle myself in a more adult manner I feel ) I am unfortunately only 19 and Caswell's won't let me shoot at their range. Will SGC let me shoot or is BLM land my only choice if I wanted to take only my wife and I out first? Also thanks for the info on CTD I will look into Georgia or maybe J&G as I like supporting local AZ businesses
    I should have remembered that.

Just called SGC and the young man who answered says they have an age minimum of 18 (eighteen). If you're bringing your OWN gun and ammo, you and yours should be good to go.

If only more ranges realized that no crime is being committed by renting the LANE to someone who already owns the firearm and the ammunition that will be used...
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 07-16-2014 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    I should have remembered that.

Just called SGC and the young man who answered says they have an age minimum of 18 (eighteen). If you're bringing your OWN gun and ammo, you and yours should be good to go.

If only more ranges realized that no crime is being committed by renting the LANE to someone who already owns the firearm and the ammunition that will be used...
    +2000 FOR RUSTY!!!

Thanks for getting to it before I could get off work, its greatly appreciated, maybe we will head there next after Ben Avery since I know we wont go through 500 rounds in one sitting lol but then again I have to save up to get the ammo first. So the plan will be Ben Avery and the SGC and I will make sure to let you and FreeInAZ know. Maybe we can even make it a statewide event!

You are fine to shoot there Javelina. I have taken a younger shooter there before without issue. You will have to watch a 15 minute safety video and sign a waiver stating you understand the safety rules. Overall as indoor ranges go, SGC is one of the best IMHO. They offer a wide selection of rental guns too. As a member you get a free machine gun rental once each year on your birthday and 50 rounds of ammo. Last year I plinked with a auto glock 18 in a stock kit. It was pretty cool.

Here are the rules in advance -

http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/on-...bout-the-range

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you can also have these maps printed at Wide World Of Maps in Phoenix?
    Wide World of Maps did the initial printing however they are not printing any more of the current version.

The map needs updating and advertisements need to be sold. The vendor has other projects they are working on and this is not a priority for them.

Fred

Never fired ammo vs. reloads?

Hello everyone, one last real quick question and I'm not sure if this topic has been placed elsewhere although, I have looked and can't find it so please forgive me if it has. However I am wondering everyone's thoughts on never fired ammo vs. reloaded ammo. Does it make a huge difference to use reloaded ammo strictly for the range? A buddy of mine has told me about a site where I can get 100 rounds of 40 S&W reloads for $23.99 + S&H and he says they are solid reloads and he has never had a misfire with them. If anyone wants to share their thoughts that would be greatly appreciated!

Hello everyone, one last real quick question and I'm not sure if this topic has been placed elsewhere although, I have looked and can't find it so please forgive me if it has. However I am wondering everyone's thoughts on never fired ammo vs. reloaded ammo. Does it make a huge difference to use reloaded ammo strictly for the range? A buddy of mine has told me about a site where I can get 100 rounds of 40 S&W reloads for $23.99 + S&H and he says they are solid reloads and he has never had a misfire with them. If anyone wants to share their thoughts that would be greatly appreciated!
    Reloading is a hobby among many and an industry unto itself.

About half the cost of a cartridge is the brass casing so many folks reload ammo.

If everything is done properly nothing should go wrong. The only squibs (too little powder and bullet doesn't leave the barrel) I've seen at the range are from reloads. And, too much powder can cause guns to blow apart. There are a lot of variables (type of powder, amount of powder, casings sized properly, etc.) that may give you inconsistencies that you do not encounter with factory ammo. But, you save money.

That said, if you buy reloads from a reliable source they work just as good as factory ammo for getting bullets down range.

Regardless of what you shoot at the range I recommend that before you leave the range you run at least one magazine with your "carry" ammo to imprint how your gun shoots with the "good" ammo in your mind and body.

Fred

Depends on who's reloading them Im always skeptical.

The website is laxammo.com The reviews are good as well and it seems like a reliable company. Thanks for the advice Fred of running a magazine of "good" ammo first, I feel like I will be able to tell the difference after using a magazine of my daily defense rounds.

Depends on who's reloading them Im always skeptical.
    Me too.

When Bubba sells them at a gun show you don't know what you are getting. Did he size his cases? Is the bullet seated properly? Did he use cheap powder that will foul my gun? Did he save a few pennies by using slightly less powder? Was he day dreaming and forgot to check for powder? Had he just finished a 6 pack of beer and added too much powder.

The only reloads I would trust are ones I did myself.

Fred

The website is laxammo.com The reviews are good as well and it seems like a reliable company.
    Big difference!

You're talking about a professional business, not some backwoods Duck Dynasty wannabe sitting at a gun show table selling reloads in dirty Ziploc bags for beer money.

Fred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast