• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Places to shoot around the Valley?

Javelina

I understand I can go to Shooters World or Scottsdale Gun Club but I am wondering if there are any good places to shoot around the valley for hopefully the price of free99? My wife has been talking with me and wants to go out and shoot my gun and get a good feel for it should she have to use it with me not home. Any help would be awesome, thanks guys! :cool:

Rusty Young Man

I understand I can go to Shooters World or Scottsdale Gun Club but I am wondering if there are any good places to shoot around the valley for hopefully the price of free99? My wife has been talking with me and wants to go out and shoot my gun and get a good feel for it should she have to use it with me not home. Any help would be awesome, thanks guys! :cool:

It isn't free, but Caswells Indoor Shooting Range in Mesa has Ladies' Night on Tuesdays and Fridays. This is the range I use when I take out a family member, and I make it Ladies' Night if it is a female member of the family; helps reassure them when there is a handful of women shooting and only one or two yucky men to ruin the atmosphere.:lol:

It would be $15 for you and $0 for yours; if you bring you own ammo and gun, that should be all you end up paying.
Just try to avoid the older lady who works there.:uhoh:

*Shooting range pricing
http://www.caswells.com/range.aspx

FreeInAZ

@Javelina

Well I always end up with a few free passes that get wasted for SGC, so if She didn't mind us being there and shooting too, you're welcome to some free range time. If she wants to try smaller versions of your pistol I have a G26(9mm) or G27(40) she can try?

Last edited:

Javelina

+1000 FOR EVERYONE!!! lol

Thanks everyone. I think we will try ladies night first and then I will definitely meet up with FreeInAZ (Rusty you should come too!) and then hopefully she can try a few different handguns (and maybe even end up wanting one to carry :lol: ) next I will be needing to get ammo. I have been looking at Cheaper Than Dirt and they seem to have a good selection so I will get some from them asap. If anyone that uses Glocks life myself or FreeInAZ (2 people that I know that do) please share what practice ammo you use and why. I want something smooth for her yet not far from the real thing as she would have to use real deal ammo in an emergency. Thanks guys!

FreeInAZ

Javelina - in 40s&w almost all FMJ ammo well be loaded to similar specs. Remember s&w 40 is a over-pressured round to begin with, so it's one of the rounds drawbacks. I would say you are fine using any non bi-metal jacketed practice rounds at a indoor range. They are fussy about that. Magtech is usually on sale at SGC and for members it's 10% of in addition. Winchester white, American Eagle, etc.. are all good practice rounds too IMHO.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

CTD are dirt bag gougers- avoid feeding those trolls if possible please. These are the same aholes that were charging $100 for a $9 box of wolf ammo during the panic! :(

jrmullen93

Luckygunner is pretty good as well, I will admit they had their share of rice gouging as well but no where near as bad as CTD.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Thanks everyone. I think we will try ladies night first and then I will definitely meet up with FreeInAZ (Rusty you should come too!) and then hopefully she can try a few different handguns (and maybe even end up wanting one to carry :lol: )

Depending on when you want to go, I'll try to make it so she can try my 1911 in .45 ACP; all-steel construction makes for low recoil.:)

next I will be needing to get ammo. I have been looking at Cheaper Than Dirt and they seem to have a good selection so I will get some from them asap. If anyone that uses Glocks life myself or FreeInAZ (2 people that I know that do) please share what practice ammo you use and why. I want something smooth for her yet not far from the real thing as she would have to use real deal ammo in an emergency. Thanks guys!
SNIP...Magtech is usually on sale at SGC and for members it's 10% of in addition. Winchester white, American Eagle, etc.. are all good practice rounds too IMHO.

Besides the brands FreeInAZ mentioned, I'd recommend Sellier & Bellot as well as Fiocchi; both seem to run a tad hotter than WWB, and are a LOT cleaner. No problems in the few hundred rounds I've run, of each, through my 1911. Of course, my experience has been with .45 ACP alone.:confused:

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

CTD are dirt bag gougers- avoid feeding those trolls if possible please. These are the same aholes that were charging $100 for a $9 box of wolf ammo during the panic! :(
+1 re:CTD

I get my practice ammo online at Georgia Arms. Good ammo, great prices.
Luckygunner is pretty good as well, I will admit they had their share of rice gouging as well but no where near as bad as CTD.
The Armory was also selling at astronomical prices ($.50/rd of steel-cased FMJ Wolf 7.62X39).:(
A good practice would be for more people to refuse to be gouged during times of relative scarcity, and then to refuse to patronize said gougers in times of plenty.

I haven't tried Georgia Arms, but I can recommend J&G Sales (www.jgsales.com/). They're based in Flagstaff, AZ, and they've always had great customer service (in my dealings with them, at least). Even during the panic, their prices were fairly reasonable.

Last edited:

azcdlfred

Train Me Arizona was set up as a source for places to shoot as well as for training. AzCDL is a sponsor of Train Me Arizona. We sell their maps at our website and you can get them at our gun show tables.

Caveat - The supply of maps is running out and there will not be a reprint in the near future.

Fred

Javelina

Looks like BLM is my only choice???

For those who may have forgotten )since I handle myself in a more adult manner I feel ;) ) I am unfortunately only 19 and Caswell's won't let me shoot at their range. Will SGC let me shoot or is BLM land my only choice if I wanted to take only my wife and I out first? Also thanks for the info on CTD I will look into Georgia or maybe J&G as I like supporting local AZ businesses :cool:

So far looks like this is the winner for practice ammo: http://www.luckygunner.com/tula-40-s-w-ammo-for-sale-40sw180fmjtulablack-500

Just gonna save up some bucks then will probably take her out to Ben Avery.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

For those who may have forgotten )since I handle myself in a more adult manner I feel ;) ) I am unfortunately only 19 and Caswell's won't let me shoot at their range. Will SGC let me shoot or is BLM land my only choice if I wanted to take only my wife and I out first? Also thanks for the info on CTD I will look into Georgia or maybe J&G as I like supporting local AZ businesses :cool:

I should have remembered that.
duh.gif

Just called SGC and the young man who answered says they have an age minimum of 18 (eighteen). If you're bringing your OWN gun and ammo, you and yours should be good to go.

If only more ranges realized that no crime is being committed by renting the LANE to someone who already owns the firearm and the ammunition that will be used...:(

Last edited:

Javelina

I should have remembered that.
duh.gif

Just called SGC and the young man who answered says they have an age minimum of 18 (eighteen). If you're bringing your OWN gun and ammo, you and yours should be good to go.

If only more ranges realized that no crime is being committed by renting the LANE to someone who already owns the firearm and the ammunition that will be used...:(

+2000 FOR RUSTY!!!

Thanks for getting to it before I could get off work, its greatly appreciated, maybe we will head there next after Ben Avery since I know we wont go through 500 rounds in one sitting lol but then again I have to save up to get the ammo first. So the plan will be Ben Avery and the SGC and I will make sure to let you and FreeInAZ know. Maybe we can even make it a statewide event! :cool:

FreeInAZ

You are fine to shoot there Javelina. I have taken a younger shooter there before without issue. You will have to watch a 15 minute safety video and sign a waiver stating you understand the safety rules. Overall as indoor ranges go, SGC is one of the best IMHO. They offer a wide selection of rental guns too. As a member you get a free machine gun rental once each year on your birthday and 50 rounds of ammo. Last year I plinked with a auto glock 18 in a stock kit. It was pretty cool. ;)

Here are the rules in advance -

http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/on-the-shooting-range/about-the-range

azcdlfred

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you can also have these maps printed at Wide World Of Maps in Phoenix?
Wide World of Maps did the initial printing however they are not printing any more of the current version.

The map needs updating and advertisements need to be sold. The vendor has other projects they are working on and this is not a priority for them.

Fred

Javelina

Never fired ammo vs. reloads?

Hello everyone, one last real quick question and I'm not sure if this topic has been placed elsewhere although, I have looked and can't find it so please forgive me if it has. However I am wondering everyone's thoughts on never fired ammo vs. reloaded ammo. Does it make a huge difference to use reloaded ammo strictly for the range? A buddy of mine has told me about a site where I can get 100 rounds of 40 S&W reloads for $23.99 + S&H and he says they are solid reloads and he has never had a misfire with them. If anyone wants to share their thoughts that would be greatly appreciated! :lol: