• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about purchasing (not sure if this is the right area)

jsknier

I was doing some research on buying my first gun and already have it 3/4 payed off and decided to do MORE research... the Gun shop i am purchasing from does not do the Form 4473 until the gun is payed off so it hasn't been ran yet even tho i only have to pay $50 to finally pay it off.

I was looking up on the ATF website at the Form 4473 and question 11(c) "Have you ever been convicted in any court of a felony, or any other crime, for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than 1 year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation?" unfortunately i would have to answer yes because i was convicted of theft by unlawul taking - moveable property (Misdemeanor class-2...max sentence of 2 years imprisonment) and to answer some other questions... I was charged about 8yrs ago, and can NOT have it removed from my record without a pardon from the Governor.

HOWEVER....

for a PA concealed carry permit on the application it states under question 30(G) "ARE YOU NOW CHARGED WITH, OR HAVE YOU EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF A CRIME PUNISHABLE BY IMPRISONMENT FOR A TERM EXCEEDING ONE YEAR? THIS IS THE MAXIMUM SENTENCE YOU COULD HAVE RECEIVED, NOT THE ACTUAL SENTENCE YOU DID RECEIVE. (IT DOES NOT INCLUDE FEDERAL OR STATE OFFENSES PERTAINING TO ANTITRUST, UNFAIR TRADE PRACTICES, RESTRAINTS OF TRADE, OR REGULATION OF BUSINESS; OR STATE OFFENSES CLASSIFIED AS
MISDEMEANORS AND PUNISHABLE BY A TERM OF IMPRISONMENT NOT EXCEEDING TWO YEARS.)" (sorry for the caps that was a copy/paste quote)

So my question is this....

Am I reading this properly? From my understanding I could legally get my concealed carry permit but NOT be able to purchase the gun to carry?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Am I reading this properly? From my understanding I could legally get my concealed carry permit but NOT be able to purchase the gun to carry?

I think you got the jist....except reversed...you can buy a gun but still not be able to get a permit.

jsknier

no i do not already have the permit. Also how do i have it backwards? not trying to argue with you because this is my first gun and i will openly admit i know nothing about the laws (yet).... The federal Form 4473 to buy the gun says longer than a year and my charge carried a max of 2 years...the carry permit app says misdemeanor that carries a punishment not to exceed 2 years...which mine doesn't exceed 2 years

jsknier

Update

Just an update...i did pass my check and am now the proud owner of a Ruger SR9c...i am going friday to apply for my concealed permit and see how that goes