Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: Will Missouri legislature override Governor Nixon's veto of SB 656?

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Will Missouri legislature override Governor Nixon's veto of SB 656?

    http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/op...cle728828.html

    &

    http://www.kansascity.com/news/state...cle727249.html

    SNIP

    "The Missouri legislation [SB 656] also lowered the minimum age required to get a concealed weapons permit to 19 from 21 and allows permit holders to carry guns openly, even in cities that ban open carry. In addition, health care professionals could not be required to ask whether a patient has access to guns, and public housing authorities could not ban tenants from possessing firearms.

    The bill passed the Missouri House in May by a 111-28 vote, two more than would be required for a veto override. The Senate's 21-7 vote fell two votes shy of that threshold, but three Republicans were absent."

    My comment - I think we have the votes to override!

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,608
    Hopefully the Missouri legislature will do exactly that!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    1,012
    I hope they do. The legislature don't have a good record doing that though, and there's some other oddities going on in the Senate. But, we'll find out in early September, which should be close enough to election day to have some possibility of a vague memory in the voters' minds.

  4. #4
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    I hope they do. The legislature don't have a good record doing that though, and there's some other oddities going on in the Senate. But, we'll find out in early September, which should be close enough to election day to have some possibility of a vague memory in the voters' minds.
    Pefect opportunity for neoconservative republicans to appear pro freedom and pro gun while knowing full well it won't become law. No doubt they would have even passed constitutional carry because they know the governor will veto, and overrides are difficult
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,608
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Pefect opportunity for neoconservative republicans to appear pro freedom and pro gun while knowing full well it won't become law. No doubt they would have even passed constitutional carry because they know the governor will veto, and overrides are difficult
    Even if they do not have the votes to override a veto, it will attract more attention and that is good for bringing it to the attention of more people.

    Go for it!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974
    I really hope they override. I'm not very optimistic though. But maybe that is just my general pessimism with political creatures at this point.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southern MO
    Posts
    513
    Don't hold your breath on the over ride unless you have an enormous amount of oxygen on hand.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    The Senate will be the issue. Contact Senator Dempsey's office and Tim Jones asking if there is an planned override session and their thoughts on SB656. There may not be enough votes in the Senate.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  9. #9
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,272
    With two vacant seats in the senate the odds are slim to none...and I'm leaning more to the none than the slim. The senate is not very liberty minded these past several years. They have not announced that they will work to override the veto at this point which confirms for me that they are not liberty minded.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  10. #10
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    With two vacant seats in the senate the odds are slim to none...and I'm leaning more to the none than the slim. The senate is not very liberty minded these past several years. They have not announced that they will work to override the veto at this point which confirms for me that they are not liberty minded.
    I would concur; but since this bill was originally a Senate Bill, they may want it to pass.

    I'm trying to figure out if the two vacant seats will have a numerical issues, meaning what are the # of votes needed for the overide; some I have spoken to say they won't have an effect.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  11. #11
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    I would concur; but since this bill was originally a Senate Bill, they may want it to pass.

    I'm trying to figure out if the two vacant seats will have a numerical issues, meaning what are the # of votes needed for the override; some I have spoken to say they won't have an effect.
    It only took one republican vote to not override a veto last go-around, by a senator that voted for it, before he voted against it.

    By my math, every republican must vote to override with two vacancies.

    34R, 9D in the senate.

    34 - 2= 32R - 9D = 23. 23 is the minimum to override a veto in the senate.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  12. #12
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,272
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    It only took one republican vote to not override a veto last go-around, by a senator that voted for it, before he voted against it.

    By my math, every republican must vote to override with two vacancies.

    25 34R, 9D in the senate.

    34 - 2= 32 - 9D = 23. 23 is the minimum to override a veto in the senate.
    Sorry
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  13. #13
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    It only took one republican vote to not override a veto last go-around, by a senator that voted for it, before he voted against it.

    By my math, every republican must vote to override with two vacancies.

    34R, 9D in the senate.

    34 - 2= 32R - 9D = 23. 23 is the minimum to override a veto in the senate.
    This is one reason Nixon hasn't allowed appointments to these seats. It works to his advantage.

    Surely a couple of conservative Dems will roll over....there were only 3 Dems that didn't vote for it initially....a total 28 Senators voted in favor.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    64123
    Posts
    23
    If the override was a horse I wouldn't bet on it. Too much behind the scenes skulduggery for this to become law.

  15. #15
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    Not gonna happen.

    Instead of risking the wrath of last year, a couple will just be absent thus allowing a straight party line vote to fail without a nay in the bunch.

    We need some brass in the house and senate, some serious brass.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

  16. #16
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,608
    Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    Not gonna happen.

    Instead of risking the wrath of last year, a couple will just be absent thus allowing a straight party line vote to fail without a nay in the bunch.

    We need some brass in the house and senate, some serious brass.
    Maybe you need to kick the brass out and reload
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southern MO
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    Not gonna happen.

    Instead of risking the wrath of last year, a couple will just be absent thus allowing a straight party line vote to fail without a nay in the bunch.

    We need some brass in the house and senate, some serious brass.
    Would that be the same 2 that voted no on the over ride last year and put out all the bovine feces about how they would introduce a bill that would be the first to be placed on the floor this year to be voted on but it dragged out to the last week of the session?

  18. #18
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by 9026543 View Post
    Would that be the same 2 that voted no on the over ride last year and put out all the bovine feces about how they would introduce a bill that would be the first to be placed on the floor this year to be voted on but it dragged out to the last week of the session?
    I am really not in tune with it this year, I suspect they will pick alternate kicking boys this round. Once the other org got fired up and involved we again became an easy trade within the OC ranks.

    Just my own speculation is all, they do not want any more direct descent from party line so not showing up gets the goal without the heat and it can be handed off for another round next year in exchange for preferred org agendas...

    Might be really bent about it if it were the revision and preempted but this one is kinda odd and the debate over the direction the step takes has merit.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

  19. #19
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    You may want to keep in mind, last year's bill had the nullification portion in it; this year's doesn't. There was apprehension about the nullification portion of the bill last year; hence why two broke ranks and left. Another difference is many more Dems in the Senate and House voted for this bill than last years. Only 3 Senate Dems voted against it this year; last year it was a party line vote initially; except one Dem (IIRC). The House had overwhelming support. If the veto session comes down to only party line votes, then 'NASA we have a problem'.

    Now I say all this to say; it is a different bill, however, the outcome could be the same.

    This is an election year; so if any of the Senate Dems are under pressure and they need to garner some conservative support, they 'may' jump ship and vote for it again. But on the same side, if they are in a very liberal district and need the liberal vote to overcome another liberal candidate, they may go hardcore. Since I am not educated on all the different districts, especially around St Louis, I'm at a loss on how this will go.

    Let's hope there is an override session and this bill is brought up then passed.

    It would be nice to have another Rally on the day it is brought up at the Capitol.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    1,012
    Now that Amendment 5 looks safely in the bag, I would humbly recommend that we wait until it's certified, then check out county's BoE for the votes for it, and provide a count to our sitting Senators and Representatives, along with a reminder that the voters' will certainly looks to be clear when it comes to firearm regulation, and if everything in politics was this easy, their jobs would be a lot simpler.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    I would concur KC!

    I do not see why Dempsey and Jones would not bring it up based upon the 60/40 ratio for the special session....I know on this board and some converation last night; many think SB656 is not needed. My suggestion is the amendment will be tested; the question is who will and how much $$ will they need.

    I believe they should override SB656; it's better to have it and not need it; than to need it and not have it.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in MO
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/op...cle728828.html

    &

    http://www.kansascity.com/news/state...cle727249.html

    SNIP

    "The Missouri legislation [SB 656] also lowered the minimum age required to get a concealed weapons permit to 19 from 21 and allows permit holders to carry guns openly, even in cities that ban open carry. In addition, health care professionals could not be required to ask whether a patient has access to guns, and public housing authorities could not ban tenants from possessing firearms.

    The bill passed the Missouri House in May by a 111-28 vote, two more than would be required for a veto override. The Senate's 21-7 vote fell two votes shy of that threshold, but three Republicans were absent."

    My comment - I think we have the votes to override!

    I think we have the answer!

  23. #23
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    So... has the Governor's veto been overridden yet? I've read that the Senate voted to override, but how does the House look, and when will they vote?

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    1,012
    The veto has been overriden, and the new statutes will be effective 30 days from today.


    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    So... has the Governor's veto been overridden yet? I've read that the Senate voted to override, but how does the House look, and when will they vote?

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,605
    Thank Goodness that The Missouri Legislature had The Sense to Override The Governors' Veto of Senate Bill 656.

    Now, Open Carry for Trained and Responsible Permit Holders, even as Young as 19, will be Allowed State-wide, even in Kansas City and Louisville!

    Congratulations to Missourians!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •