• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will Missouri legislature override Governor Nixon's veto of SB 656?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/yael-t-abouhalkah/article728828.html

&

http://www.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article727249.html

SNIP

"The Missouri legislation [SB 656] also lowered the minimum age required to get a concealed weapons permit to 19 from 21 and allows permit holders to carry guns openly, even in cities that ban open carry. In addition, health care professionals could not be required to ask whether a patient has access to guns, and public housing authorities could not ban tenants from possessing firearms.

The bill passed the Missouri House in May by a 111-28 vote, two more than would be required for a veto override. The Senate's 21-7 vote fell two votes shy of that threshold, but three Republicans were absent."

My comment - I think we have the votes to override!

kcgunfan

I hope they do. The legislature don't have a good record doing that though, and there's some other oddities going on in the Senate. But, we'll find out in early September, which should be close enough to election day to have some possibility of a vague memory in the voters' minds.

77zach

I hope they do. The legislature don't have a good record doing that though, and there's some other oddities going on in the Senate. But, we'll find out in early September, which should be close enough to election day to have some possibility of a vague memory in the voters' minds.

Pefect opportunity for neoconservative republicans to appear pro freedom and pro gun while knowing full well it won't become law. No doubt they would have even passed constitutional carry because they know the governor will veto, and overrides are difficult

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Pefect opportunity for neoconservative republicans to appear pro freedom and pro gun while knowing full well it won't become law. No doubt they would have even passed constitutional carry because they know the governor will veto, and overrides are difficult
Even if they do not have the votes to override a veto, it will attract more attention and that is good for bringing it to the attention of more people.

Go for it!

Redbaron007

The Senate will be the issue. Contact Senator Dempsey's office and Tim Jones asking if there is an planned override session and their thoughts on SB656. There may not be enough votes in the Senate. :cuss: :banghead:

OC for ME

With two vacant seats in the senate the odds are slim to none...and I'm leaning more to the none than the slim. The senate is not very liberty minded these past several years. They have not announced that they will work to override the veto at this point which confirms for me that they are not liberty minded.

Redbaron007

With two vacant seats in the senate the odds are slim to none...and I'm leaning more to the none than the slim. The senate is not very liberty minded these past several years. They have not announced that they will work to override the veto at this point which confirms for me that they are not liberty minded.

I would concur; but since this bill was originally a Senate Bill, they may want it to pass.

I'm trying to figure out if the two vacant seats will have a numerical issues, meaning what are the # of votes needed for the overide; some I have spoken to say they won't have an effect.

OC for ME

I would concur; but since this bill was originally a Senate Bill, they may want it to pass.

I'm trying to figure out if the two vacant seats will have a numerical issues, meaning what are the # of votes needed for the override; some I have spoken to say they won't have an effect.
It only took one republican vote to not override a veto last go-around, by a senator that voted for it, before he voted against it.

By my math, every republican must vote to override with two vacancies.

34R, 9D in the senate.

34 - 2= 32R - 9D = 23. 23 is the minimum to override a veto in the senate.

OC for ME

It only took one republican vote to not override a veto last go-around, by a senator that voted for it, before he voted against it.

25 [strike]34R[/strike], 9D in the senate.

34 - 2= 32 - 9D = 23. 23 is the minimum to override a veto in the senate.
Sorry

Redbaron007

34R, 9D in the senate.

34 - 2= 32R - 9D = 23. 23 is the minimum to override a veto in the senate.

This is one reason Nixon hasn't allowed appointments to these seats. It works to his advantage.

Surely a couple of conservative Dems will roll over....there were only 3 Dems that didn't vote for it initially....a total 28 Senators voted in favor.

Great Gazoo

If the override was a horse I wouldn't bet on it. Too much behind the scenes skulduggery for this to become law.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Not gonna happen.

Instead of risking the wrath of last year, a couple will just be absent thus allowing a straight party line vote to fail without a nay in the bunch.

We need some brass in the house and senate, some serious brass.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not gonna happen.

Instead of risking the wrath of last year, a couple will just be absent thus allowing a straight party line vote to fail without a nay in the bunch.

Maybe you need to kick the brass out and reload :)

Not gonna happen.

Would that be the same 2 that voted no on the over ride last year and put out all the bovine feces about how they would introduce a bill that would be the first to be placed on the floor this year to be voted on but it dragged out to the last week of the session?

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Would that be the same 2 that voted no on the over ride last year and put out all the bovine feces about how they would introduce a bill that would be the first to be placed on the floor this year to be voted on but it dragged out to the last week of the session?

I am really not in tune with it this year, I suspect they will pick alternate kicking boys this round. Once the other org got fired up and involved we again became an easy trade within the OC ranks.

Just my own speculation is all, they do not want any more direct descent from party line so not showing up gets the goal without the heat and it can be handed off for another round next year in exchange for preferred org agendas...

Might be really bent about it if it were the revision and preempted but this one is kinda odd and the debate over the direction the step takes has merit.

Redbaron007

You may want to keep in mind, last year's bill had the nullification portion in it; this year's doesn't. There was apprehension about the nullification portion of the bill last year; hence why two broke ranks and left. Another difference is many more Dems in the Senate and House voted for this bill than last years. Only 3 Senate Dems voted against it this year; last year it was a party line vote initially; except one Dem (IIRC). The House had overwhelming support. If the veto session comes down to only party line votes, then 'NASA we have a problem'.

Now I say all this to say; it is a different bill, however, the outcome could be the same.

This is an election year; so if any of the Senate Dems are under pressure and they need to garner some conservative support, they 'may' jump ship and vote for it again. But on the same side, if they are in a very liberal district and need the liberal vote to overcome another liberal candidate, they may go hardcore. Since I am not educated on all the different districts, especially around St Louis, I'm at a loss on how this will go.

Let's hope there is an override session and this bill is brought up then passed.

It would be nice to have another Rally on the day it is brought up at the Capitol.

kcgunfan

Now that Amendment 5 looks safely in the bag, I would humbly recommend that we wait until it's certified, then check out county's BoE for the votes for it, and provide a count to our sitting Senators and Representatives, along with a reminder that the voters' will certainly looks to be clear when it comes to firearm regulation, and if everything in politics was this easy, their jobs would be a lot simpler.