Thread: More noticeable: hip holster vs drop holster

More noticeable: hip holster vs drop holster

I've been OCing for about 5 years steady and sporadically before that, but always in a hip or shoulder holster.

Last week I threw my back out loading a car onto a flatbed and I decided to use a drop holster that I normally reserve for hunting to alleviate the stress on my back. It seems to me that if people are almost completely oblivious to a holstered firearm on the hip, they are even more oblivious to a holstered firearm in a leg holster. I usually get curious looks from several people any time I go to WalMart, but since Saturday I've had only one person (that I noticed) actually do a double take.

Does anyone else use any form of leg holster? What kinds of reactions do (or don't) you get?

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    wimwag - my sympathies on your back trouble. It is a royal PIA!!

On your dropdown holster, is the lower end tied to your leg to hold it steady?

I have a 4" revolver that I have both a leather and nylon holsters that I change with the weather. As OC is impossible off your own property here in Illinois, I don't have much interaction with anybody. I modded both holsters so they could be lashed around my thigh, keeping the holster from following the gun when I pull up on it.

In addition to back surgery in the early '70s, I have arthritis slowing me down. Having the holster lower on my side means I have to "crimp" my shoulder and elbow that much less and clears the holster faster.

I have this one

http://www.militaryoutdoorclothing.c...ter_p_299.html

I would like to get another drop holster, but I spent all my money on a house.

Most of the time nothing But I was wearing one when this happened.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...06#post2075806

Mike