• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More noticeable: hip holster vs drop holster

wimwag

I've been OCing for about 5 years steady and sporadically before that, but always in a hip or shoulder holster.

Last week I threw my back out loading a car onto a flatbed and I decided to use a drop holster that I normally reserve for hunting to alleviate the stress on my back. It seems to me that if people are almost completely oblivious to a holstered firearm on the hip, they are even more oblivious to a holstered firearm in a leg holster. I usually get curious looks from several people any time I go to WalMart, but since Saturday I've had only one person (that I noticed) actually do a double take.

Does anyone else use any form of leg holster? What kinds of reactions do (or don't) you get?

wimwag

wimwag - my sympathies on your back trouble. It is a royal PIA!!

On your dropdown holster, is the lower end tied to your leg to hold it steady?

I have a 4" revolver that I have both a leather and nylon holsters that I change with the weather. As OC is impossible off your own property here in Illinois, I don't have much interaction with anybody. I modded both holsters so they could be lashed around my thigh, keeping the holster from following the gun when I pull up on it.

In addition to back surgery in the early '70s, I have arthritis slowing me down. Having the holster lower on my side means I have to "crimp" my shoulder and elbow that much less and clears the holster faster.

:D

I have this one

http://www.militaryoutdoorclothing.com/New-Black-Drop-Leg-Holster_p_299.html

I would like to get another drop holster, but I spent all my money on a house. :D