• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cleveland Mayor > proposes to limit purchases of one firearm per 90 days

Midwest

Cleveland Mayor > proposes to limit purchases of one firearm per 90 days

Cleveland's mayor Frank Jackson submitted sweeping gun control legislation that restricts purchases to just one firearm every 90 days as well as a "gun offender registry" (Whatever that means).

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/loca...5/cleveland-gun-control-legislation/12710565/

"The mayor submitted new legislation to City Council, which would completely rewrite the city's gun laws."

JustaShooter

Yep, it looks to me like at least two of his proposals are clear violations of Ohio's firearm law preemption under ORC 9.68. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out - especially since the City of Cleveland has *already* lost one preemption challenge. I don't think a judge will look too kindly on such willful disregard of the law...

aadvark

Ohio Revised Code 9.68(A) Preempts and Precludes Cleveland Ordinances Dealing with Firearms, Firearm Components, and Ammunition.

Ohio Revised Code 9.68(B) Authorizes Costs and Legal Fees should an Individual, or a Group, Prevails in an Action to Enforce ORS 9.68(A).

The Ohio Supreme Court has now said This Twice. The Cleveland, Ohio City Government and Mayor should Know Better.

aadvark

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Cerberus

Yeah.

From the news story here: http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/loca...6/17/proposed-gun-offender-registry/10717535/

Regarding the proposed Cleveland Gun Offender Registry?

"The city is looking to Chicago for inspiration..."

THAT'S your problem RIGHT THERE !!

AMEN!

If the city of Cleveland wishes to follow Chicago's example, perhaps they can draw inspiration from the number of politicians the good people of Chicago, have shipped off to make license plates. If this proposal of Mayor Jackson's is indicative of his typical leadership, making license plates seems like a more effective use of his time.