• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Law abiding Pennsylvania mother victimized by New Jersey gun laws

Primus

This is another example why folks need to keep their mouths shut during police encounters. Clearly this woman had little to no experience in dealing on the wrong side of the law. Please note that she was the victim of two robbery's hence the weapons for defence.
Her honesty and the draconian NJ gun laws along with mandatory sentencing will probably result in this hard working Mother of two, being put in a cage, losing her children, her house,job and possibly her life. The law is not justified in this incident. The punishment does not fit the crime.
Currently I have not heard or read of any black leaders(Sharpton,Jackson) coming forward in defence of this woman.
If anyone is a poster child for the 2nd Amendment, this Mother of two, surely is. She and her children were the victims of two horrible crimes.
In my opinion incarcerating this woman would serve no ones best interest. She is not a threat to society,The draconian NJ gun laws are a threat to
life,liberty and property of all law abiding citizens. The only victim in this case is the woman,and her family.

My .02

CCJ

Well said. +1

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Saxxon

1 - she may have been law-abiding in PA, but she was a scofflaw, a common criminal, in NJ.

2 - she was not victimized. Except perhaps by her own stupidity. (That's right - stupidity. Not ignorance. Stupidity.)

3 - it is a shame that more folks are not aware of the issue of reciprocity, and even if they are that they do not check the fine print on reciprocity between their home state and where they are planning to wind up.

4 - other than hiring a cadre of instructors armed with 2x4s I have no idea of how to make what seems to be the vast majority of law-abiding gun owners aware of the concept of reciprocity and how it applies to anywhere they might go outside their home state.

stay safe.

Be that someone would be as snarky if and when you get caught afoul of one of the 10,000s of gun laws that no one person can possibly know all about.

I'd grant that more involved gun owners might have gone to the trouble to find that out, but most people like this woman really aren't thinking that broadly about how the government is trying to violate their rights in regards to firearms. She found that she was a victim, that having a firearm would help her resist that and though that getting the license would be enough (certainly should have been).

If there is no intent to harm, there should be no crime - period. That is one of the problems with the country these days, far too many victimless crimes.

countryclubjoe

Be that someone would be as snarky if and when you get caught afoul of one of the 10,000s of gun laws that no one person can possibly know all about.

I'd grant that more involved gun owners might have gone to the trouble to find that out, but most people like this woman really aren't thinking that broadly about how the government is trying to violate their rights in regards to firearms. She found that she was a victim, that having a firearm would help her resist that and though that getting the license would be enough (certainly should have been).

If there is no intent to harm, there should be no crime - period. That is one of the problems with the country these days, far too many victimless crimes.

+1

This is one case where I would pay to be on the jury..
CCJ

Midwest

The New Jersey Supreme Court has used "United States v. Cruikshank " which the Federal Supreme Court ruled that second amendment did NOT apply to the States and that 1876 ruling was consistent with the 1833 ruling "Barron v. Baltimore" that the Bill of Rights did not apply to the States. At the time the gun laws were formed, the NJ Supreme Court was bound by those rulings.

However after "McDonald v. Chicago" ruling, the NJ Supreme Court is now bound by that and not "United States v. Cruikshank " .

NJ Gun Laws need to be revisited or thrown out because "United States v. Cruikshank " and "Barron v. Baltimore" are no longer precedent in the US Supreme Court law. "McDonald v. Chicago" is now precedent.

Someone needs to challenge all of New Jersey's gun laws because the prior rulings were based on the old Supreme Court interpretation and not the new one. I mentioned this in the NJ Gun Forums and on another site.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/70719-another-victim-of-senseless-nj-laws/?p=894564

Another problem with New Jersey is that the wording for The Second Amendment was left out of the 1947 NJ Constitutional Convention. Whether done by accident or on purpose is unclear.

http://conservativenewjersey.com/handguns-banned-in-new-jersey

In addition, there are no gun rights in New Jersey. Just a series of narrow exemptions in certain cases to possess a firearm. Read that again.

Then we have the 1966 FID law which requires residents to apply to the police for a firearms ID card before they can buy a squirrel rifle or even a BB gun!

Want a handgun in NJ? You need a separate "permit to purchase permit" for that and you can only buy a handgun once a month. And NJ considers a pellet/airgun pistol and a black powder pistol to be a handgun. No, I am not joking.

And that "Permit to purchase" does not authorize you to carry that handgun. And forget about getting a carry permit for a handgun unless you are an armed guard on duty. Or you are 'politically connected'.

If you want to bring your handgun to a target range, you have to go directly from your house to the range and make no stops along the way. No I am not kidding. And even that case the handgun better be unloaded, locked in a box in a trunk and separate from the ammunition. Those are the "narrow exemptions" in NJ's criminal code. Notice I said nothing about gun rights.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
+1

This is one case where I would pay to be on the jury..
CCJ

And if I were on the jury I most likely would cast a vote to nullify the existing law. no need to go into the technical and petty reasons that would convince me otherwise.

That being said, carrying a gun is a huge responsibility, just like driving a car. Maybe it's just me but I do a quick check of the traffic laws of states I am passing through/visiting just so I don't get caught doing something legal where I live but not where I am out of state. Right turn on red laws are a good example - some states prohibit doing so unless there is a specic sign posted saying you can. Did the same thing wrt guns before I got involved in RKBA issues. YMMV, of course.

stay safe.

countryclubjoe

The New Jersey Supreme Court has used "United States v. Cruikshank " which the Federal Supreme Court ruled that second amendment did NOT apply to the States and that 1876 ruling was consistent with the 1833 ruling "Barron v. Baltimore" that the Bill of Rights did not apply to the States. At the time the gun laws were formed, the NJ Supreme Court was bound by those rulings.

However after "McDonald v. Chicago" ruling, the NJ Supreme Court is now bound by that and not "United States v. Cruikshank " .

NJ Gun Laws need to be revisited or thrown out because "United States v. Cruikshank " and "Barron v. Baltimore" are no longer precedent in the US Supreme Court law. "McDonald v. Chicago" is now precedent.

Someone needs to challenge all of New Jersey's gun laws because the prior rulings were based on the old Supreme Court interpretation and not the new one. I mentioned this in the NJ Gun Forums and on another site.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/70719-another-victim-of-senseless-nj-laws/?p=894564

Another problem with New Jersey is that the wording for The Second Amendment was left out of the 1947 NJ Constitutional Convention. Whether done by accident or on purpose is unclear.

http://conservativenewjersey.com/handguns-banned-in-new-jersey

In addition, there are no gun rights in New Jersey. Just a series of narrow exemptions in certain cases to possess a firearm. Read that again.

Then we have the 1966 FID law which requires residents to apply to the police for a firearms ID card before they can buy a squirrel rifle or even a BB gun!

Want a handgun in NJ? You need a separate "permit to purchase permit" for that and you can only buy a handgun once a month. And NJ considers a pellet/airgun pistol and a black powder pistol to be a handgun. No, I am not joking.

And that "Permit to purchase" does not authorize you to carry that handgun. And forget about getting a carry permit for a handgun unless you are an armed guard on duty. Or you are 'politically connected'.

If you want to bring your handgun to a target range, you have to go directly from your house to the range and make no stops along the way. No I am not kidding. And even that case the handgun better be unloaded, locked in a box in a trunk and separate from the ammunition. Those are the "narrow exemptions" in NJ's criminal code. Notice I said nothing about gun rights.

Great, great post.
Thank you
Best regards
CCJ

Saxxon

New Jersey is a cesspit of totalitarianism. I was born there and left finally at 20, never to return I think.

Interesting points on the US Supreme Court rulings. Those rulings were essentially saying that the Bill of Rights didn't apply to the states and sound fundamentally flawed, especially post-Civil War. Then again, pre-Civil War the US Supreme Court produced the Dredd Scott decision. I suspect in part though that the use of Cruikshank by NJ was selective and ignored other issues, because I have seen that same case quoted in a pro-gun stance as well.

sudden valley gunner

New Jersey is a cesspit of totalitarianism. I was born there and left finally at 20, never to return I think.

Interesting points on the US Supreme Court rulings. Those rulings were essentially saying that the Bill of Rights didn't apply to the states and sound fundamentally flawed, especially post-Civil War. Then again, pre-Civil War the US Supreme Court produced the Dredd Scott decision. I suspect in part though that the use of Cruikshank by NJ was selective and ignored other issues, because I have seen that same case quoted in a pro-gun stance as well.

Even in the usurpers in black robes horrible opinions in Dred Scott, they state a "citizen" has the right to bear arms everywhere in the states.

countryclubjoe

I understand over 33k was raised so far for this young Mother's defense fund.

I only wish I were sitting on this jury.

Regards

CCJ

Kopis

Im really torn on this one. I feel like the cop should've just said, ma'am, this is a big deal in NJ, turn around and go back to PA. If it was a regular white guy that this had happened to, would anyone care? Why does everyone feel like she should be exempted from knowing the gun laws in the area shes lives?

sudden valley gunner

Im really torn on this one. I feel like the cop should've just said, ma'am, this is a big deal in NJ, turn around and go back to PA. If it was a regular white guy that this had happened to, would anyone care? Why does everyone feel like she should be exempted from knowing the gun laws in the area shes lives?

The color of her skin matters squat!

She wasn't arrested in the area she lives, she has a CPL and thought she was doing the polite thing by informing the officer she was armed.

Why is it on the burden of the people to know every government rule they may inadvertently cross. I bet you break several laws a day without even realizing it.

When the "law" makes you choose between it and morality, natural rights, and liberty. It is the "law" that is in the wrong not the person.

countryclubjoe

She wasn't arrested in the area she lives, she has a CPL and thought she was doing the polite thing by informing the officer she was armed.

Why is it on the burden of the people to know every government rule they may inadvertently cross. I bet you break several laws a day without even realizing it.

When the "law" makes you choose between it and morality, natural rights, and liberty. It is the "law" that is in the wrong not the person.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++11111111111111111111111111111111111111111

ccj

Kopis

Yes, I break the law daily, thank you. Anyway, carrying a firearm is a HUGE responsiblity, i still believe that part of that responsibility is to know the laws in your area. Fair, right/wrong is irrelevant. There are lots of males arrested daily for stuff like this and no one is up in arms raising money for them. I feel bad for her, it sucks the system is going to eff her over and i think the cop should've had the common sense to see she has no record, just got her CPL and clearly was just turned around on the turnpike mistakenly but the LEO also has to leave personal opinion out of their job. If they are liberal and in an OC state, they cant push their personal agenda right? In the same token, a right wing cop shouldnt let stuff go because of his/her personal opinions on it. You have to leave your personal opinions at the door as an LEO i would think. you're supposed to enforce the law regardless of color, sex, personal bias etc.

OC Freedom

How can this response be topped? You are so right on.

This gal like so many new gun owners, are just starting to learn about gun laws and firearms. Like other newbees entering this world she made the mistake thinking her permit worked like a drivers license and that the police are your friend. Her only real offense is ignorance and being an honest law abiding person.

OC Freedom

Yes, I break the law daily, thank you. Anyway, carrying a firearm is a HUGE responsiblity, i still believe that part of that responsibility is to know the laws in your area. Fair, right/wrong is irrelevant. There are lots of males arrested daily for stuff like this and no one is up in arms raising money for them. I feel bad for her, it sucks the system is going to eff her over and i think the cop should've had the common sense to see she has no record, just got her CPL and clearly was just turned around on the turnpike mistakenly but the LEO also has to leave personal opinion out of their job. If they are liberal and in an OC state, they cant push their personal agenda right? In the same token, a right wing cop shouldnt let stuff go because of his/her personal opinions on it. You have to leave your personal opinions at the door as an LEO i would think. you're supposed to enforce the law regardless of color, sex, personal bias etc.

The Second Amendment is the supreme law on firearms. New Jersey is violating the law with firearm restrictions. The founders are clear in their written comments about the Second Amendment and what they meant about "shall not be infringed".