Thread: H.R. 2959 and Affirmative Defense States

H.R. 2959 and Affirmative Defense States

Please take note, this entire topic is based on my speculations!

For once I finally took the time and actually read H.R. 2959 ( which I wholeheartedly support) however, to my dismay I don't think this bill (when turned law) will do much for some of the restrictive states in the union.

For example let's look at FOPA. As most here know, FOPA - firearm owner protection act - does just that, protect gun owners during times of interstate travel. However in recent times, this FEDERAL LAW has been nothing more than an affirmative defense in some of the more unjust states - NY and NJ.

I truly fear that if passed, states will see National reciprocity as an affirmative defense, and thus making this bill invalid in many states as it will not protect you from arrest.

Once again, I know this is nothing but speculation, but I feel that it is valid enough for discussion.

Banned
    https://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th...ouse-bill/2959

Shown Here:
    Introduced in House (08/01/2013)

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2013 - Amends the federal criminal code to authorize a person who is carrying a valid, government-issued identification document containing that person's photograph and a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm in one state, and who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm under federal law, to possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a machine gun or destructive device) in another state in accordance with the restrictions of that state.

--still need a permission slip --- bummer == and what about folks where permission slips are not needed? Double bummer.

Oh well...I can understand why some would want this bill passed....
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 07-17-2014 at 12:02 AM.

H.R. 2959 and Affirmative Defense States

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

--still need a permission slip --- bummer ==
    Yup, all this is intended to do is to make CCW licenses like drivers licenses in the sense where there is reciprocity between the states, mandated through federal law.

I personally don't think this will do much to deter arrest in the restrictive states.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

What about folks where permission slips are not needed?
    Hopefully they'll do something along the lines of Arizona by issuing a non mandated permit. So far as I'm aware the only state that would fall under this category would be Vermont.
    Last edited by jrmullen93; 07-17-2014 at 12:09 AM. Reason: grammer

"to possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a machine gun or destructive device) in another state in accordance with the restrictions of that state."

And if the state's law says thou shalt not carry a handgun? Or thou shall have one of our CCW permits?

Still screwed???

A friend just got his renewal CCW from MO and the new ones issued by the Sheriffs dept. don't have a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    A friend just got his renewal CCW from MO and the new ones issued by the Sheriffs dept. don't have a picture.
    Arizona doesn't have a Photo on theirs either. I was quite surprised when I found this out.

Oops! Misread. Thought it said that the CCW had to have a photograph.