• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Let's collect "Virginia Bubba Laws!"

TFred

Alright, inspired by another recent thread about "'laws' that just ain't laws," lets see if we can collect some of our favorite "Bubba Laws." Things you hear folks cite from their Uncle Bubba's second cousin, twice removed on their mother's side - that they're just SURE are rock-solid laws in Virginia... but just aren't.

A couple guidelines, let's make sure we keep this VIRGINIA centric, meaning, there very well may be some Virginia Bubba Laws that are indeed actual laws in OTHER states. That's fine, but who cares about other states, I'd like to see this thread only apply to Virginia.

And be kind, it's meant to be entertaining... let's try not to hurt anyone's feelings.

Finally, remember the ultimate authority is a CITE TO A LAW or a court case opinion!

A few of my favorites:

Virginia Bubba Law #1: It's illegal to carry in a bank.
Followed closely by Virginia Bubba Law #2: It's illegal to carry in a hospital.
Virginia Bubba Law #3: Once you have a CHP, then you cannot Open Carry.

See how this is going? Anyone have any other favorites?

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
"If you shoot them in your house and they make it outside then collapse, just drag them back inside."

"You have to retreat until you can no longer retreat safely before you can use deadly force."

"Virginia is a duty to retreat state... you cannot stand your ground." [actually saw this on a "legal" website]

"You have to have a special permit to carry openly in Virginia."

[And from the thread that inspired this one...]
"As long as 1/3 of the gun is visible(or some such legalese), it is not legally concealed per Virginia law. In other words, most IWB holsters qualify legally as open carry in Virginia as long as 1/3 of the gun is not covered by clothing and such."

[Along with]
"Here in the land of Virginia, an iwb holster is considered an open carry holster so long as your shirt is tucked. As long as 1/3 of the gun is visible, it's open carry."

[and]
"As I understand it in VA, atleast 1/3 of the firearm must be visible (holster counts) so an iwb holster is open carry as long as the shirt isn't covering the firearm."

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Remember that "machine guns are illegal in Virginia".

My "authority" for this one is about half the people who have ever talked ith me about machine guns, plus maybe 3/4 of the cops I've discussed the matter with.

And I actually had someone behind a gun store counter tell me that if I had a pistol with a threaded barrel I could not have a magazine with less than 20 rounds.

I should not name my "authority" for this one to prevent unnecessary shame, but "authority" was part of the name of the place where he worked.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Remember that "machine guns are illegal in Virginia".

My "authority" for this one is about half the people who have ever talked ith me about machine guns, plus maybe 3/4 of the cops I've discussed the matter with.

And I actually had someone behind a gun store counter tell me that if I had a pistol with a threaded barrel I could not have a magazine with less than 20 rounds.

I should not name my "authority" for this one to prevent unnecessary shame, but "authority" was part of the name of the place where he worked.

stay safe.
That may one day be the case. There have been several attempts to require such guns to have [strike]silencers[/strike] suppresors and high capacity drum magazines :lol:

Brian D.

Virginia Bubba Law #1: It's illegal to carry in a bank.
Followed closely by Virginia Bubba Law #2: It's illegal to carry in a hospital.
Virginia Bubba Law #3: Once you have a CHP, then you cannot Open Carry.

Those three gems are far from exclusive to Virginia, just in case anybody here doesn't read other sections of this site... ;)

builtjeep

From another forum I frequent. I set the record straight with code cites.

"You can carry concealed in any establishment that has a liquor license you just can't consume alcohol when carrying. If you're at a "bar" and want to drink you can't just throw your firearm in a glovebox or something either. You have to legally secure it where you don't have immediate access to it as if you didn't have a permit."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
From another forum I frequent. I set the record straight with code cites.

"You can carry concealed in any establishment that has a liquor license you just can't consume alcohol when carrying. If you're at a "bar" and want to drink you can't just throw your firearm in a glovebox or something either. You have to legally secure it where you don't have immediate access to it as if you didn't have a permit."
Almost right - one can drink an adult beverage if they are OCing - many don't consider it as good form, but it is legal.

A. Any person permitted to carry a concealed handgun who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such handgun in a public place is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor......

B. No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises.
https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.012

Note that open carry is not referenced - sooo by default OC and imbibing is legal.

b0neZ

Not specific to Virginia or even a "law" but----

If you OC you will be the FIRST to be shot!

edesy5u9.jpg

Primus

Let's not forget, "if you're open carrying, your firearm must be visible from three sides."

That would be illegal. Needs to be 5 sides. Front side rear above and below.

Also your forgetting the distance requirement. Must be visible from 68" above, 36" in below, 53.5 meters from the front and rear and 42.5 meters from the side.

Unless its a high point. Then it doesn't count as a gun because they are so bad. Its no different then carrying a cellphone. With no minutes. And broken screen.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My favorite is from a Roanoke Cop..
"You don't have the right to remain silent unless you've broken a law. Have you broken the law?" :eek:

Blk97F150

My favorite is from a Roanoke Cop..
"You don't have the right to remain silent unless you've broken a law. Have you broken the law?" :eek:

You should have asked him if he still beats his wife.... that question makes about as much sense as his. :p

R027

"Virginia is a duty-to-retreat state because it doesn't have a castle doctrine"

I have also heard the "3 sides visible requirement while OCing" not too long ago..