• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recertification ???

OkieOutlaw

I received my renewal license in July 2013. I have been seeing news reports on my local TV stations that a new law has passed in OK. concerning the SDA. According to the report all OK residents that received their certification before 2011 now have to be recertified before Nov, or will be required to take the entire class again. Does this mean that my new carry permit is not worth the paper its printed on? I am a disabled Vietnam Veteran confined almost entirely to a wheelchair and on SS. Can anyone verify this and if so what is required to get recertified. With all the news stories about home invasions and carjacking I absolutely do not want to lose my license. Please Help???:banghead:

Glock 1st fan

I received my renewal license in July 2013. I have been seeing news reports on my local TV stations that a new law has passed in OK. concerning the SDA. According to the report all OK residents that received their certification before 2011 now have to be recertified before Nov, or will be required to take the entire class again. Does this mean that my new carry permit is not worth the paper its printed on? I am a disabled Vietnam Veteran confined almost entirely to a wheelchair and on SS. Can anyone verify this and if so what is required to get recertified. With all the news stories about home invasions and carjacking I absolutely do not want to lose my license. Please Help???:banghead:

Relax. Its not anything to do with people who already have their permit. This is just there are probably hundreds if not thousands of people across the state who have taken the course since inception and never turned their paperwork in for their license. So if you took the SDA course say in 2000 but still have the certificate you will have to retake the course if you have not applied by November of this year.

Those already in possession of a permit currently will not have nothing to worry about

Last edited:

Arin Morris

^ This.

It's not for renewals, it's just for the SDA certificate. I didn't see anything about having to get another certificate to renew unless you let your handgun permit expire beyond the grace period. I don't see why you'd take a SDA class if you didn't plan on getting your handgun license within' 3 years anyway. I started the process of getting mine the week after.

I honestly think this "law" was a waste of time. They should be doing more to reinstate our rights, like constitutional carry.

Last edited:

Glock 1st fan

^ This.

It's not for renewals, it's just for the SDA certificate. I didn't see anything about having to get another certificate to renew unless you let your handgun permit expire beyond the grace period. I don't see why you'd take a SDA class if you didn't plan on getting your handgun license within' 3 years anyway. I started the process of getting mine the week after.

I honestly think this "law" was a waste of time. They should be doing more to reinstate our rights, like constitutional carry.

There are a lot of reasons people did not turn it in but the most common is the misconception that the cost of the class is all you need to get your permit. Though most people are told up front that this is not the case they either dont comprehend what they heard or did not listen and when they complete the course they simply dont have the money to proceed further and simply opt not to apply.

Aside of that some people who take the class learn during the course of the class that they have a preclusion which would prohibit them from obtaining the permit such as illegal drug charge in the past and again opt not to proceed. There are alot of reasons people dont continue on but Id say the vast majority is financial.

And I agree about constitutional.

Last edited:

hrdware

The 3 year expiration is how the law was originally written back in 95. I got my permit in 99, but I took the class in 96. Back then you had to be 23 to get your permit so even though I was old enough to take the class, I wasn't old enough for the permit. It wasn't long later that the law was changed to 21.

Someone could take the class at 18 and then have to sit on the certificate for 3 years before getting their license.

Last edited:

OkieOutlaw

Thanks guys and girls. I knew I could get some straight answers in here, and not some gobbledigoop mis reported story from the lame stream media. I too would be all for constitutional carry across all the states although we have some really good neighbors around us here in OK> Thanks again for clearing this up for me.
:banana:

Glock 1st fan

Thanks guys and girls. I knew I could get some straight answers in here, and not some gobbledigoop mis reported story from the lame stream media. I too would be all for constitutional carry across all the states although we have some really good neighbors around us here in OK> Thanks again for clearing this up for me.
:banana:

Not a problem.