Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whistleblower admits: Chesterfield PD has a 'Quota System' -- new laws proposed

Whistleblower admits: Chesterfield PD has a 'Quota System' -- new laws proposed

I would have thought Chesterfield County was a (relatively) safe place to go about in public, with little need to fear the police.

Evidently not:

Former police officer exposes Chesterfield’s ticket quota goals
    Two Virginia delegates who represent voters in Chesterfield County said they would consider banning ticket quotas at law enforcement agencies after CBS 6 uncovered traffic stop and arrest mandates at the Chesterfield County Police Department.

A former officer with the Chesterfield Police Department came to CBS 6 investigative reporter Melissa Hipolit with concerns about the way he said the department measured officer performance. His recent review contained traffic stop and arrest mandates.

It showed the following work goals:
    • Two-three traffic stops per day
    • One arrest per day

“Failure to meet the expectation during this work performance plan will result in further disciplinary action,” the review read.

The former officer said he resigned after he was denied a one percent raise for not making enough traffic stops and arrests.
    Shocking!
    “This is…this is shocking…it really is,” Del. Riley Ingram (R – Chesterfield) said.

“This is a little disconcerting,” Del. Delores McQuinn (D – Chesterfield) said. She said she had never seen something like that in writing before.

When questioned about the document, leaders at the Chesterfield Police Department sought to clarify its intent.

“If you think Chesterfield County Police officers are evil and out to target our citizens, that’s just completely false,” Lieutenant Colonel Kelly said.
    That is not very reassuring. See the comment at Karin Riley Porter Attorney at Law.

“If you think Chesterfield County Police officers are evil and out to target our citizens, that’s just completely false,” Lieutenant Colonel Kelly said.
    So, is it that they are not evil, just out to target the citizens?

Seems to me that the other way requires both characteristics.

Now, if they wanted to meet some arbitrary quota, they ought to consider enforcing 46.2-877

§ 46.2-877. Minimum speed limits.

No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+46.2-877

There is a certain demographic (not by race but by lack of intelligent behavior) that seems to think that driving in the left lane at at least 10MPH below the posted speed limit is a guaranteed way to avoid a speeding ticket - which, sadly, seems to be true.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    A FORMER cop?

Where was his ethics when he WAS a cop?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    A FORMER cop?

Where was his ethics when he WAS a cop?
    Read the article. He resigned over the requirements.

sent using tapatalk
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Read the article. He resigned over the requirements.

sent using tapatalk
    Well, to be more accurate he resigned after not getting a 1% raise for failing to meet said requirements.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Chesterfield bureaucrat complains: "A gross misrepresentation of the facts."

Well, someone's offended:

Chesterfield official rebuts police quota reports
    The Chesterfield County administrator dismissed recent reports that police are using a quota system for traffic stops and arrests as “a gross misrepresentation of the facts.”

County Administrator James J.L. “Jay” Stegmaier said those benchmarks are among many ways supervisors measure the work their officers are performing. But they’re not a hard-and-fast quota that every traffic officer must meet every day, he said.

WTVR News Director Sheryl Barnhouse said, “We fully stand by our report.

State Sen. John Watkins, a Republican whose district includes Chesterfield, said he’s not sure state action will be necessary but said he’s planning to find out more about what’s really going on in the county.

“I have not seen the directives that have come from the police department to individual officers on the street, so I’m not sure what they told them the expectations were,” Watkins said. “I find it a little hard to believe that they quotaed the numbers of traffic stops. That seems a little inordinate, but maybe they did. … That would bother me.”
    That would bother a lot of us, I would think.

Golly, I wonder how many citizens who carry are stopped ... and how are they treated?

Two to three traffic stops per day! LOL

A long time ago, twenty years, when I did my ride along I did it with our notorious ticket-nuttsi. His parents were killed by a drunken speeder and he did a good job of professionalism. We did forty traffic stops in an eight hour shift with two warnings only. The stops were righteous, almost all excessive speed as I recall.

Over the next years, as my involvement with the department expanded and deepened, I was pleased to follow his career. Would that they all stayed that intensely professional and honest.

About department budgeting and such, as I recall, at that time the department was allowed 2.3 commissioned officers per thousand population.

ETA At that time, in SC, gun carry except for particular purposes was illegal. That's when I learned, for instance, about the palm print on the rear pillar of the pulled car.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-17-2014 at 05:19 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Centurion
    I have absolutely zero problem with the "righteous" or lawful enforcement of law. I do have a problem with the apparent inability of ANY Law Enforcement Agency to assess the effectiveness of its employees without a requirement to make a certain number of traffic stops / arrests in a certain time frame!

And as to the "palm print" on the rear pillar of a stopped car---- it works great to potentially ID a specific car that drove off from a stop--- Well it probably worked better when we had "peace officers", a bit less now with the Law Enforcement Officer who is wearing those shooting gloves with the weights in them so the "little slap" is more effective in KNOCKING OUT the receiver of the little cuffing!

But, I digress----

Returning you now back to the original channel where certain agencies are now claiming to use # of stops/citations/arrests as an officer performance standard after the courts have told them that "quotas" are UNLAWFUL!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    You want a 1% raise? Then meet the performance evaluation of an averaged 3 + 1 per day.

Don't meet that performance standard and no raise + other consequences possible.

That equals a quota, no matter how you spin it, slice it, or dice it.

How would we be reacting if gun carriers were being stopped under such standards? Screaming our heads off I suspect.

Well ladies and gentlemen, this is really no different. We need to have a certain level of understanding between ourselves and LEA. It is this expectation that Chesterfield PD has insulted. Don't put me in the position of being caught up in your numbers game and think it can be swept under the rug explained away.

Chief Thierry G. Dupuis has missed a golden opportunity by not stopping this immediately - the buck does stop with you Chief.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Quotas are nothing new (though undeniably wrong) .. I can recall a NYPD cop (Queens if I recall correctly~about 15 yrs ago) where he tape recorded morning meetings about various subject matters like: quotas, re-classifying crimes to make the crimes stats better etc.

If they guy really felt like he was getting screwed for $$$ then he should have sued or used his union's chain of command procedure. Quitting and then filing a wrongful termination in such a situation would not be successful...you generally have to get fired for speaking up about violating public policies.

If I got a speeding ticket every time I sped, I would be an extremely busy boy. I think we all would. Supercops giving out speeding tickets aren't so super in my opinion. I have never lost a speeding ticket contested case yet. And I have contested almost all of them. I never actually violated any true speed limit (3 * 10^8 m/s).

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    You want a 1% raise? Then meet the performance evaluation of an averaged 3 + 1 per day.

Don't meet that performance standard and no raise + other consequences possible.

That equals a quota, no matter how you spin it, slice it, or dice it.

How would we be reacting if gun carriers were being stopped under such standards? Screaming our heads off I suspect.

Well ladies and gentlemen, this is really no different. We need to have a certain level of understanding between ourselves and LEA. It is this expectation that Chesterfield PD has insulted. Don't put me in the position of being caught up in your numbers game and think it can be swept under the rug explained away.

Chief Thierry G. Dupuis has missed a golden opportunity by not stopping this immediately - the buck does stop with you Chief.
    Do you truly expect Chief Thierry G. Dupuis to admit the truth?

Cops lie all the time. It is one of their "tools of the trade" when trying to get you to admit something. Funny, but they can lie, but if you lie to a Fed, it is a crime.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the truth from a cop. It will never happen.

This is NOT cop bashing, it is simply the truth and the courts allow it.
    Last edited by va_tazdad; 07-18-2014 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    Do you truly expect Chief Thierry G. Dupuis to admit the truth?

--snipped--.
    When Joseph E. Pittman Jr was Chief, he did exactly that - put an immediate stop to quotas. Somehow they were still able to evaluate officer performance - imagine that.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Banned
    When Joseph E. Pittman Jr was Chief, he did exactly that - put an immediate stop to quotas. Somehow they were still able to evaluate officer performance - imagine that.
    Whaaaaat? lol Some people are ethical, most are not...

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    I think it was you that said the Chief missed a golden opportunity to fix it.....Even though everyone has known all along most Departments have either a written or unwritten quota policy, putting it in black in white only enrages people more.

I doubt we'll see see legislation or at least enforceable legislation, because the Police Unions will cry wolf.....but the stench will remain.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    If ticket quotas were the worst thing going on in Chesterfield law enforcement circles, life would be considered to be pretty good.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    If ticket quotas were the worst thing going on in Chesterfield law enforcement circles, life would be considered to be pretty good.
    Amen Jim !
    and for the bash all cops folks, this officer is not the only one to resign due to issues with the policies in Chesterfield.

I know of at least one other top notch officer that tried to bring the department up to standards and was assigned to an empty room with no duties other than look at the bare walls for his entire shift, for his efforts.

I've said before that the Chesterfield PD and the Sheriff's Department needs a good house cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Amen Jim !
    and for the bash all cops folks, this officer is not the only one to resign due to issues with the policies in Chesterfield.

I know of at least one other top notch officer that tried to bring the department up to standards and was assigned to an empty room with no duties other than look at the bare walls for his entire shift, for his efforts.

I've said before that the Chesterfield PD and the Sheriff's Department needs a good house cleaning.
    Very interested in shining a bright light in such places. If he/she is not in the midst of legal action against ChPD, maybe they can be induced to go public - that would likely be one too many bales of hay on the camel's back.

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Includes an 'Arrest Quota' too -- at least ONE per day.

That is not pretty good.

Very interested in shining a bright light in such places. If he/she is not in the midst of legal action against ChPD, maybe they can be induced to go public - that would likely be one too many bales of hay on the camel's back.
    Perhaps a new state law should require that all PD policies be posted for public review on local government web sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Perhaps a new state law should require that all PD policies be posted for public review on local government web sites.
    Post links to them here on OCDO.

Here is Milwaukee PD Code of Conduct and SOP's
    http://city.milwaukee.gov/Directory/...of-Conduct.htm
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-18-2014 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Post links to them here on OCDO.

Here is Milwaukee PD Code of Conduct and SOP's
    http://city.milwaukee.gov/Directory/...of-Conduct.htm
    Very nice catch! A role model for Virginia, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Very nice catch! A role model for Virginia, perhaps?
    MPD a role model? No. They're largely corrupt and incompetent.

SOP's and standards in general, like ISO9000, are worth only the commitment given by management. The ISO came to my industry to learn how to write standards. We wrote detailed procedures for everything that we did and refined them with experience.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-18-2014 at 05:47 PM.

I think we all can agree this is bad. Let me pose an example:

Police officer has encountered several speed violators and satisfied his/her quota for the day pertaining to writing tickets. But, all of the cars stopped have been mostly good citizens, with clean records and NO warrants. The last car stop of the day is one of us, and we have a gun secured in the center console. Well, let's just haul this guy DOWNTOWN on a concealed weapons charge!! In the end, what the gunnie was doing was legal, but the police officer needed to make quota, and easily could claim ignorance of the law for secured container carry and is immune from liability for his/her ineptitude. Quotas = bogus charges simply to make numbers regardless of criminal intent or malice. End of story.

Chesterfield PD Policies & Procedures

http://www.chesterfield.gov/government.aspx?id=7343

If it's not in there, it cannot be an official policy of the CPD.

That would mean that CPD officers and administration are operating outside of established boundaries and limitations - in other words, acting as a rogue agency.

Perhaps a complaint to the Attorney General to have the State Police investigate them?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    http://www.chesterfield.gov/government.aspx?id=7343

If it's not in there, it cannot be an official policy of the CPD.

That would mean that CPD officers and administration are operating outside of established boundaries and limitations - in other words, acting as a rogue agency.

Perhaps a complaint to the Attorney General to have the State Police investigate them?

stay safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast