• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cameron for a week

AFCop

Visiting,

Can someone give me the quick do's and don'ts here in Wisconsin.

Moreso, do signs hold the weight of law with regard to notice. Thanks in advance.

MKEgal

AFCop said:
Can someone give me the quick do's and don'ts here in Wisconsin.
Moreso, do signs hold the weight of law with regard to notice.
Here's the link to the sticky thread which will answer all your questions & then some:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...rrying-(OC)-In-WI-Here-s-what-you-should-know

Yes, signs (when the correct size & visibility) are considered giving notice just as if the manager had told you in person. They must be at least 5x7" and posted near every entrance, in a manner/position such that it's reasonably likely to come to the attention of someone who's entering.
943.13(2)(bm)(1)

Places for which you need a ccl:
- school zones (within 1000' of the edge of a school property), and for this you need a WI ccl according to federal law
- publicly-owned buildings (as long as they're not posted)
- state fish hatcheries (dunno the reasoning on this one)
- "taverns", a term which covers both bars & restaurants which serve alcohol by the drink (you can also carry openly without a ccl if you have permission from the owner or manager). You cannot drink alcohol on the premises while carrying concealed! 941.237

Places off-limits even with a ccl: 175.60(16)
LEO stations
most courts
secure mental health facilities
jail
beyond "security" @ airports
school grounds (grades 1-12), unless you meet one of the (rare) exceptions

You don't need a ccl to carry openly or concealed in your residence (including hotel room), your business, or land you own / lease / legally occupy. Otherwise, you must have your ccl & driver's license on you. If an officer is acting "in an official capacity and with lawful authority" (i.e. s/he has RAS that you're committing a crime (such as CCW)) you must show both your licenses.
175.60(2g)

Last edited:

wimwag

Cameron huh? Be wary of the cops in Barron County. They can feel threatened when other people are armed. Their confidence rests in their holster.

wimwag

LOL The very best evidence, personal experience 02-12-2002 from Barron County

Careful, it's a misdemeanor to use the system to harass. You clicked agree and I took a screenshot. Is this why your wife left you and filed for a protective order which you violated?