Thread: Anyone carry in this type of holster...

Anyone carry in this type of holster...

So there are several threads about holsters but none that I found that answers this question:

How many of you OC in and open top kydex holster similar (or identical) to the one pictured below. I have been OCing with one for about a year and a half and never had an issue or questioned by my choice of holster. So with all the so with all the thumb break/button release references in the other threads it made me curious.

On a range, or by myself or with known friends, or concealed I have no problems with carrying in a holster with zero retention.
    When with people I don't know within contact distance, I'll always opt for retention.

I look at it the same way as my wallet or phone; alone or with friends I'll lay it out on the table, but I won't do that around places where it might get snatched.

edit: by 'it' I mean wallet or cellphone, not pistol. Although I have laid it out on tables, it will be unloaded and amongst friends.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 07-18-2014 at 06:28 PM.

I have one like that. Sometimes it feels like it's slipping out, but that's just my body moving behind the holster. As long as there is a tight hold, it's not an issue.

I really doubt there is an epidemic of gun snatching out there. Never heard of an OC'r being robbed of his weapon. Most cops get disarmed because they are specifically targeted by the whackjobs who they've usually been dispatched too.

Still, be wary. Retention never kept a determined crazy person from snatching a cop's gun.
    Nevada Carry and Frontier Carry

Helpful guide to gun laws in the Intermountain West

I've carried in similar (Raven Phantom) for years.

Though I do tend to leave it in the holster rather than laying it out on a table regardless of who's around.

I carry in open top holsters.
    The 1911 is in this Kydex one: http://shop.blade-tech.com/owb-holst...l#.U8h3ZvldXq8
    The 625 is in this one, except black sharkskin: http://www.miltsparks.com/HSR.htm
    The Vaquero is in a standard dropped cowboy rig.
    Last edited by MAC702; 07-17-2014 at 09:28 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I carry in both. Really depends on my day and where I'm going.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    On a range, or by myself or with known friends, or concealed I have no problems with carrying in a holster with zero retention.
    When with people I don't know within contact distance, I'll always opt for retention.

I look at it the same way as my wallet or phone; alone or with friends I'll lay it out on the table, but I won't do that around places where it might get snatched.
    +1

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

fobus

I have about a dozen fobus holsters for as many pistols. The paddle works for me and I like being able to adjust the "grab" of the weapon.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

I carry primarily in open top kydex.

Some OCDO members are hypocritical on the subject of retention holsters. "Nobody has ever had their gun snatched! If you don't carry in a retention rig you are irresponsible because you are inviting a gun snatch!111!"
    Last edited by Yard Sale; 07-18-2014 at 01:35 PM.

I also OC in a friction only holster. One of these: http://www.giholsters.com/silent-thunder-stx-2-0/

When I first started open carrying, retention was something I thought about often, and read many different opinions. I opted for no retention other than friction, mainly because I have poor manual dexterity to begin with. If I ever need to use my gun, the added adrenalin dump would cause that poor manual dexterity to get even worse and I don't think I'd be able to get my gun out of the holster, even with extensive practice at the calm setting of a range. So, I opted instead to learn some retention techniques, always have a couple knives I can reach with either hand, and keep a high state of situational awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
    I carry primarily in open top kydex.

Some OCDO members are hypocritical on the subject of retention holsters. "Nobody has ever had their gun snatched! If you don't carry in a retention rig you are irresponsible because you are inviting a gun snatch!111!"

I'm more worried about tripping or having it knocked loose when I'm working.

You can crank down on the friction. You'd have to attain quite a bit of velocity in exactly the direction of the open top to give the mass (gun & ammo) the momentum to overcome the friction.

I've done some pretty jumpy stuff in competition, and I've tested my holster to retain when upside down (though not when jumping while upside down).
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by njkennelly View Post
    So there are several threads about holsters but none that I found that answers this question:

How many of you OC in and open top kydex holster similar (or identical) to the one pictured below. I have been OCing with one for about a year and a half and never had an issue or questioned by my choice of holster. So with all the so with all the thumb break/button release references in the other threads it made me curious.

I've been known to introduce people to leather... holsters
    In all seriousness though, I OC my 1911 in a forward-cant leather holster made by Galco (the model is named "Concealable"):
    http://www.galcogunleather.com/conce..._8_4_1064.html
    Tight leather, hot waxed, Level 1 retention (friction, "only"), and I don't have to worry about marring the finish.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 07-18-2014 at 06:30 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    I've been known to introduce people to leather... holsters
    In all seriousness though, I OC my 1911 in a forward-cant leather holster made by Galco (the model is named "Concealable"):
    http://www.galcogunleather.com/conce..._8_4_1064.html
    Tight leather, hot waxed, Level 1 retention (friction, "only"), and I don't have to worry about marring the finish.
    This beats the heck out of my Cop 3-Slot.

Too bad it's not available for my EDC. P97dc is not easy to find the good stuff for.

I have an open top kydex...I believe the brand is LG. I got it so that I could wear it IWB when I got my CCW. It can also be worn OWB for open carry, but I wanted a retention holster, so I have a Serpa. I love the Serpa, as it is a very fast draw. The only thing I don't like about it is that without the paddle the belt loop openings are not wide enough for the belt I have. Other than that, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I have about a dozen fobus holsters for as many pistols. The paddle works for me and I like being able to adjust the "grab" of the weapon.
    Same here for the rare occasion I carry my Kel-Tec PF9.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

I do not carry in a kydex but I do have a leather OWB holster I use that has no retention(see my profile pic). I do want to get one with some sort of retention however I am on the fence about getting a new Firearm so I am holding off. I have a knife but always forget to carry it as I keep it separate from my firearm. I am very aware of my surroundings though, especially always going out with one or both of my kids. Never had an issue.

My husband has an IWB kydex for conceal carry though and a Blackhawk with a button release for OC.