• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone carry in this type of holster...

njkennelly

So there are several threads about holsters but none that I found that answers this question:

How many of you OC in and open top kydex holster similar (or identical) to the one pictured below. I have been OCing with one for about a year and a half and never had an issue or questioned by my choice of holster. So with all the so with all the thumb break/button release references in the other threads it made me curious.

b5dee94c9a479cc5f90df0cb40912a2b.jpg

Fallschirjmäger

On a range, or by myself or with known friends, or concealed I have no problems with carrying in a holster with zero retention.
When with people I don't know within contact distance, I'll always opt for retention.

I look at it the same way as my wallet or phone; alone or with friends I'll lay it out on the table, but I won't do that around places where it might get snatched.

edit: by 'it' I mean wallet or cellphone, not pistol. Although I have laid it out on tables, it will be unloaded and amongst friends.

Last edited:

garand_guy

I have one like that. Sometimes it feels like it's slipping out, but that's just my body moving behind the holster. As long as there is a tight hold, it's not an issue.

I really doubt there is an epidemic of gun snatching out there. Never heard of an OC'r being robbed of his weapon. Most cops get disarmed because they are specifically targeted by the whackjobs who they've usually been dispatched too.

Still, be wary. Retention never kept a determined crazy person from snatching a cop's gun.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
I've carried in similar (Raven Phantom) for years.

Though I do tend to leave it in the holster rather than laying it out on a table regardless of who's around. ;)

Primus

On a range, or by myself or with known friends, or concealed I have no problems with carrying in a holster with zero retention.
When with people I don't know within contact distance, I'll always opt for retention.

I look at it the same way as my wallet or phone; alone or with friends I'll lay it out on the table, but I won't do that around places where it might get snatched.

+1

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
fobus

I have about a dozen fobus holsters for as many pistols. The paddle works for me and I like being able to adjust the "grab" of the weapon.

Yard Sale

I carry primarily in open top kydex.

Some OCDO members are hypocritical on the subject of retention holsters. "Nobody has ever had their gun snatched! If you don't carry in a retention rig you are irresponsible because you are inviting a gun snatch!111!"

Last edited:

MaxPower

I also OC in a friction only holster. One of these: http://www.giholsters.com/silent-thunder-stx-2-0/

When I first started open carrying, retention was something I thought about often, and read many different opinions. I opted for no retention other than friction, mainly because I have poor manual dexterity to begin with. If I ever need to use my gun, the added adrenalin dump would cause that poor manual dexterity to get even worse and I don't think I'd be able to get my gun out of the holster, even with extensive practice at the calm setting of a range. So, I opted instead to learn some retention techniques, always have a couple knives I can reach with either hand, and keep a high state of situational awareness.

wimwag

I carry primarily in open top kydex.

Some OCDO members are hypocritical on the subject of retention holsters. "Nobody has ever had their gun snatched! If you don't carry in a retention rig you are irresponsible because you are inviting a gun snatch!111!"

I'm more worried about tripping or having it knocked loose when I'm working.

Yard Sale

You can crank down on the friction. You'd have to attain quite a bit of velocity in exactly the direction of the open top to give the mass (gun & ammo) the momentum to overcome the friction.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I've done some pretty jumpy stuff in competition, and I've tested my holster to retain when upside down (though not when jumping while upside down).

Rusty Young Man

So there are several threads about holsters but none that I found that answers this question:

How many of you OC in and open top kydex holster similar (or identical) to the one pictured below. I have been OCing with one for about a year and a half and never had an issue or questioned by my choice of holster. So with all the so with all the thumb break/button release references in the other threads it made me curious.

b5dee94c9a479cc5f90df0cb40912a2b.jpg

I've been known to introduce people to leather... holsters:lol:
In all seriousness though, I OC my 1911 in a forward-cant leather holster made by Galco (the model is named "Concealable"):
http://www.galcogunleather.com/concealable-belt-holster_8_4_1064.html
Tight leather, hot waxed, Level 1 retention (friction, "only":rolleyes:), and I don't have to worry about marring the finish.

Last edited:

b0neZ

I've been known to introduce people to leather... holsters:lol:
In all seriousness though, I OC my 1911 in a forward-cant leather holster made by Galco (the model is named "Concealable"):
http://www.galcogunleather.com/concealable-belt-holster_8_4_1064.html
Tight leather, hot waxed, Level 1 retention (friction, "only":rolleyes:), and I don't have to worry about marring the finish.

This beats the heck out of my Cop 3-Slot.

Too bad it's not available for my EDC. P97dc is not easy to find the good stuff for.

ed2276

I have an open top kydex...I believe the brand is LG. I got it so that I could wear it IWB when I got my CCW. It can also be worn OWB for open carry, but I wanted a retention holster, so I have a Serpa. I love the Serpa, as it is a very fast draw. The only thing I don't like about it is that without the paddle the belt loop openings are not wide enough for the belt I have. Other than that, I love it.

Craftymommy

I do not carry in a kydex but I do have a leather OWB holster I use that has no retention(see my profile pic). I do want to get one with some sort of retention however I am on the fence about getting a new Firearm so I am holding off. I have a knife but always forget to carry it as I keep it separate from my firearm. I am very aware of my surroundings though, especially always going out with one or both of my kids. Never had an issue.

My husband has an IWB kydex for conceal carry though and a Blackhawk with a button release for OC.