Thread: Moving to ID

Moving to ID

I'll be moving to ID in about six months. I currently have a UT permit that expires in about 5 years, and a FL non-resident permit that expires in three years. I am trying to find out if I need to get a ID permit after I move or can I carry on a UT or FL non-resident permit for a few months before obtaining a ID permit?

I do plan on obtaining the ID permit but it might take a month or two.

I do know that in UT, you can be a resident and carry with a permit from another state, so long as that state issues non-resident permits.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by retg View Post
    I'll be moving to ID in about six months. I currently have a UT permit that expires in about 5 years, and a FL non-resident permit that expires in three years. I am trying to find out if I need to get a ID permit after I move or can I carry on a UT or FL non-resident permit for a few months before obtaining a ID permit?

I do plan on obtaining the ID permit but it might take a month or two.

I do know that in UT, you can be a resident and carry with a permit from another state, so long as that state issues non-resident permits.

Thanks,
    Idaho reconizes any permit from any state and so don't feel you need to get one from Idaho. I have my permit from Washington state with my Idaho address on it so I do not see the need for getting one from Idaho. When it comes to open carry, Idaho is one the best and you will find it boring as its accepted by the public. Check out handgunlaw/us for good info on Idaho concealed carry, but I suggest you carry open as much as possible for concealed carry is distasteful and its what thugs do.

The advantage to having an Idaho one is when it comes to purchasing from an FFL dealer. No background check needed!
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    The advantage to having an Idaho one is when it comes to purchasing from an FFL dealer. No background check needed!
    That is true. For me personally, I am fine using my UPIN instead of acquiring an Idaho permit, standard or enhanced. If Oregon or The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia ever recognizes Idaho's permit then I will get one.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Freedom View Post
    That is true. For me personally, I am fine using my UPIN instead of acquiring an Idaho permit, standard or enhanced. If Oregon or The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia ever recognizes Idaho's permit then I will get one.

So, when hell freezes over?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Wrong ! The 4473 is a BR chk.

Quote Originally Posted by bad_astronaut View Post
    So, when hell freezes over?
    Yep.

RETG, first welcome to the forum

second is the UT an resident or non resident permit.

i could be mistaken but from what i understand about Idaho law. when you become a resident there , the other resident permits are void.

i suggest you Open carry
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    RETG, first welcome to the forum

second is the UT an resident or non resident permit.

i could be mistaken but from what i understand about Idaho law. when you become a resident there , the other resident permits are void.

i suggest you Open carry
    Actually, I have two permits. The UT permit, is a resident permit, and by UT law would technically be invalid once I become a legal resident of ID. That's due to the change a few years ago in the UT permit that requires a person to obtain a permit from their resident state (if they issue and accept a UT permit) to obtain a non-res UT permit. So, for me to transfer my UT permit to a non-res permit requires me to obtain my ID permit.

However, I do have a FL non-resident permit and that is the one I'm questioning. Guess the best would be to write the state and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by retg View Post
    Actually, I have two permits. The UT permit, is a resident permit, and by UT law would technically be invalid once I become a legal resident of ID. That's due to the change a few years ago in the UT permit that requires a person to obtain a permit from their resident state (if they issue and accept a UT permit) to obtain a non-res UT permit. So, for me to transfer my UT permit to a non-res permit requires me to obtain my ID permit.

However, I do have a FL non-resident permit and that is the one I'm questioning. Guess the best would be to write the state and find out.
    As I stated in my above post, Idaho will recognize your Florida permit if you are an Idaho resident. The only requirement is that you must have your license on you when you carry concealed.

Idaho code 18-3302 (12)(g) which says:

(g) Any person who has a valid permit from a state or local law enforcement agency or court authorizing him to carry a concealed weapon. A permit issued in another state will only be considered valid if the permit is in the licensee's physical possession.

Regular Member SovereigntyOrDeath's Avatar
    Welcome to Idaho!

Please open carry as much as possible.

I have not had one business or person object in the Coeur D Alene/Post Falls area.