Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Experiences

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    75

    Experiences

    It has been some time since I last posted. No issues in Wal-Mart, Gordmans, Pet-Co, Arby's, McDonalds, or Safeway.

    Bank Teller asked me how I did at the range.

    My other bank (Navy Federal), does not know I carry. It is not permitted inside the building, so I don't carry there. They have a large no firearms sign. I never understood that. We law abiding citizens obey those. But I suspect the criminals would not.

    I've had one ask me about the laws, cause her deployed husband wanted her to carry (she stopped me in the parking lot, I was with my wife and daughter... that needs to be said ), and one person at the corner store ask me about colorado, says he was from Maryland... where they need a permit to carry. I understand from what he says and what I read, Maryland is not a permissive state.

    So far, good experiences.


    p.s. Still waiting on the CHP.... wow.
    Last edited by JonStore; 07-18-2014 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added postscript

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by JonStore View Post
    Bank Teller asked me how I did at the range.
    Which bank? The reason I'm asking is because Ent Federal Credit Union, which used to never bat an eye over it, just got stupid. They're now advising their guards to ask customers to leave their firearms in their car. Yeah, that's about as effective at a bank as it was at Luby's in Killeen, Texas....

    My other bank (Navy Federal), does not know I carry. It is not permitted inside the building, so I don't carry there. They have a large no firearms sign. I never understood that. We law abiding citizens obey those. But I suspect the criminals would not.
    It's a combination of ignorance and stupidity. It takes both, really, to arrive at these conclusions.

    The ignorance comes into play with respect to what's actually safest for both employees and customers. Clearly, so-called gun-free zones are not gun-free, and are magnets for those who hope to capitalize on being armed while the general public has been disarmed. It is for these reasons of safety I refuse to frequent, much less spend money, in any institution which disarms its customers.

    The stupidity comes into play with respect to either refusing to do sufficient research in order to reach the facts and correct conclusions. Case in point, the Ent vice-president with whom I spoke last week was firm in his convictions, wrong as they were, despite my presenting the facts to him both on the phone and in writing. Quite frankly, it never ceases to amaze me that an institution such as a bank who won't make a financial decision unless it's solidly based on facts, will turn right around, throwing all common sense and intelligence out the window and arrive at conclusions which are dramatically less safe for their customers and employees. That's just stupid.

    p.s. Still waiting on the CHP.... wow.
    Comes in handy some times. Should not be necessary, though. I'm a staunch supporter of Constitutional Carry.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Instead of "NO GUNS" they should put "NO CRIMINALS" signs up ... after all, that is their goal, right?

  4. #4
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Instead of "NO GUNS" they should put "NO CRIMINALS" signs up ... after all, that is their goal, right?
    But wouldn't that interfere with the free association rights of the criminals?
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  5. #5
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Instead of "NO GUNS" they should put "NO CRIMINALS" signs up ... after all, that is their goal, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    But wouldn't that interfere with the free association rights of the criminals?
    You shouldn't discriminate against the morally suspect; put up the following signs instead:

    NO MURDERING
    NO RAPING
    NO PILLAGING

    Watch as crime rates plummet in the area.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 07-21-2014 at 04:08 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Riverton, Wyoming, United States
    Posts
    5

    Coming From Wyoming

    Hey guys. I grew up in Colorado until i was 18. Moved to Maryland for 4 years and never gave any thought to owning a gun.... although i did know it was near impossible to get a carry permit there. im now 26 and have been living in Wyoming for 4 years and purchased my first gun a month ago. A XDM 9mm full size. The law here is very relaxed. You can open carry or concealed carry and you do NOT need a permit for cc. So as i visit my family in the coming weeks in pueblo and jeffco i reached out to several law enforcement officers, Sheriffs and Highway patrol in the areas i will be. I asked my many questions about open carry. ALL of them said it was not a problem and that it was totally legal. so im waiting to see the experience i will have as i travel down there. Hopefully its not to bad lol.

    P.S. my mag is 19 rounds. But since im out of state and use the gun for personal defense I am excempt from the large capacity mag ban.


    Would love to hear some responses guys Thank!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gonzales View Post
    Hey guys. I grew up in Colorado until i was 18. Moved to Maryland for 4 years and never gave any thought to owning a gun.... although i did know it was near impossible to get a carry permit there. im now 26 and have been living in Wyoming for 4 years and purchased my first gun a month ago. A XDM 9mm full size. The law here is very relaxed. You can open carry or concealed carry and you do NOT need a permit for cc. So as i visit my family in the coming weeks in pueblo and jeffco i reached out to several law enforcement officers, Sheriffs and Highway patrol in the areas i will be. I asked my many questions about open carry. ALL of them said it was not a problem and that it was totally legal. so im waiting to see the experience i will have as i travel down there. Hopefully its not to bad lol.

    P.S. my mag is 19 rounds. But since im out of state and use the gun for personal defense I am excempt from the large capacity mag ban.


    Would love to hear some responses guys Thank!
    If you would like to be a test case for the Colorado Law, go ahead and bring a >15 magazine, while Pueblo and Jefferson County Sheriffs said they wouldn't be enforcing the law, >15 round magazines are not available on store shelves (in Jeffco, in my experience) and any law enforcement that answers to city or state(the governor, not county sheriffs) will likely arrest and charge you. I have used high capacity magazines at public ranges with no protest and interference. You can disassemble your magazines and carry them throughout the state to my (limited) knowledge. I would recommend using a 15 round magazine while in the state unless you can reasonably say your magazines were purchased before July 1, 2013 the law makes only applies to "persons" and not to "residents" so my (non-lawyer) reading would suggest that any "standard" capacity magazine purchased before July 1, 2013 by a resident of any state can be possessed inside the state of Colorado.

    read more here:
    http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cli...le=1224_01.pdf

    ps: this is the first draft which reads 10 round limit on rifles and handguns, and 5 rounds on shotguns, it was revised to 15 on rifles and handguns and 8 rounds in shotguns

    good luck

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    El Paso County, Colorado
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by JG_Buffalo View Post
    If you would like to be a test case for the Colorado Law, go ahead and bring a >15 magazine, while Pueblo and Jefferson County Sheriffs said they wouldn't be enforcing the law, >15 round magazines are not available on store shelves (in Jeffco, in my experience) and any law enforcement that answers to city or state(the governor, not county sheriffs) will likely arrest and charge you. I have used high capacity magazines at public ranges with no protest and interference. You can disassemble your magazines and carry them throughout the state to my (limited) knowledge. I would recommend using a 15 round magazine while in the state unless you can reasonably say your magazines were purchased before July 1, 2013 the law makes only applies to "persons" and not to "residents" so my (non-lawyer) reading would suggest that any "standard" capacity magazine purchased before July 1, 2013 by a resident of any state can be possessed inside the state of Colorado.

    read more here:
    http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cli...le=1224_01.pdf

    ps: this is the first draft which reads 10 round limit on rifles and handguns, and 5 rounds on shotguns, it was revised to 15 on rifles and handguns and 8 rounds in shotguns

    good luck
    He is correct as far has he goes. You don't get to skate on this just because you are from out of state.

    The fact that old mags are grandfathered makes it virtually impossible to enforce, however. Just don't bring a firearm of a type that was introduced after 1 July '13 (so they'd know the magazine had to be sold after that date) and DON'T bring a mag that they can prove you bought after that date. (If they really wanted to get you they could conceivably check your credit card record for mag purchases.)

    They might be able to build a case against you if the gun was purchased after 1-Jul-2013 as well, but you could claim you bought the mags in anticipation of getting the gun.

    All of that would be a lot of effort on their part (unless you blab and thereby confess, e.g.: "You can still get these in Wyoming, lookitthis, see I got this here 33 round Glock mag just last week!") and I doubt that even an overzealous city cop is likely to try something unless you really piss him off somehow (do not moon cops), but then I live in one of the better parts of the state (I.e., outside of Denver Metro/Boulder). I wouldn't want to be caught in the actual city and county of Denver carrying a gun with a 16+ rounder unless I had a receipt from BEFORE that date. This is what god made compacts for.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •