• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should released felons be banned from owning guns?

Should released felons be barred from owning guns?

• Yes

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • I have no opinion on this topic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a natural right once released you should have all your rights recongized.

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • They should not have any rights at all once convicted.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Freedom1Man

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/07/...hts-come-from-the-creator/#comment-1492543627

A Michigan man facing multiple felony weapons charges argued that police violated his God-given rights by searching his home and confiscating several weapons.

Philip Zapata argued Tuesday in court that he was not bound by state laws, reported Monroe News, citing legal theories promoted by the sovereign citizen movement.

“Your laws are violating my rights,” Zapata said. “My rights don’t come from the Constitution. My rights come from the creator.”

Police executed a search warrant Feb. 6 at Zapata’s Erie Township home, where officers said they found a rifle in the bathroom, a 9 mm handgun behind a trap door in a wall, and a shotgun behind a freezer.

The 36-year-old Zapata is a convicted felon, which bars him from legally owning firearms.

stealthyeliminator

I voted 'no'

The 'It's a natural right once released you should have all your rights recongized.' answer is too simplified and generalized...

By no I simply mean that a person should not be automatically legally barred from possessing or owning firearms just because they've been convicted of a felony. That doesn't mean I don't believe it could ever be appropriate to legally bar someone from owning or possessing firearms, even outside of incarceration.

Felony conviction is such a stupid, over-generalized, over-simplified criteria for prohibiting firearm ownership and possession. But just leave it to our government to make up stupid rules... and you won't be disappointed.

Primus

I voted 'no'

The 'It's a natural right once released you should have all your rights recongized.' answer is too simplified and generalized...

By no I simply mean that a person should not be automatically legally barred from possessing or owning firearms just because they've been convicted of a felony. That doesn't mean I don't believe it could ever be appropriate to legally bar someone from owning or possessing firearms, even outside of incarceration.

Felony conviction is such a stupid, over-generalized, over-simplified criteria for prohibiting firearm ownership and possession. But just leave it to our government to make up stupid rules... and you won't be disappointed.

Well said.+1

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Freedom1Man

I voted 'no'

You can be deprived of some of your rights while you're incarcerated.

I am using felony as a, faulty, litmus test due to the article that I was referencing.

I could have left it at, yes or no, but I wanted people to have more outlets.

twoskinsonemanns

If someone is trust worthy enough to be let out of their cage then the should not have their gun rights taken from them. If they can't be trusted with a gun they shouldn't be let out into society in the first place

Freedom1Man

Well the anti-gun logic in this can be applied to any other rights also.

Felons can no longer have free speech.
Felons cannot travel freely.
Felons have no right to not incriminate themselves.

Those can all be applied so long as they can be denied the right to keep and bear arms.

countryclubjoe

Ones released from prison and they satisfy all the requirements of their probation, then Yes, their right to keep an bear arms for defence of life, liberty and property should be restored.

My .02

Regards

CCJ

Jack House

If someone is trust worthy enough to be let out of their cage then the should not have their gun rights taken from them. If they can't be trusted with a gun they shouldn't be let out into society in the first place
My thoughts exactly. One of the biggest arguments we use for not banning guns other than they are our right is that criminals will always have them. Prohibiting felons from owning guns just means the law abiding former felons will be prohibited while the career criminal will still have a gun.

cjohnson44546

I answered yes... but the choices are pretty bad.

It really depends on the person and what crimes they committed. Should all felons be banned from owning guns.... no.... should most, yes. While on parole, yes, in almost every case... Its a case by case basis. Also, violent felons should spend a lot longer in prison or have a lot harsher punishments... I think we go way too easy on them.

Freedom1Man

It really depends on the person and what crimes they committed. Should all felons be banned from owning guns.... no.... should most, yes. While on parole, yes, in almost every case... Its a case by case basis. Also, violent felons should spend a lot longer in prison or have a lot harsher punishments... I think we go way too easy on them.

So, who will protect them while they are on parole?

So, while on parole, you have no right to the means to defend yourself?

WalkingWolf

Not only is it unconstitutional, it is a waste of resources. Everybody knows if a criminal wants a gun, they will get a gun, and commit crime with it. That is why they are criminals, but the freemen with a past, who served their time, payed their debt and are law abiding should be treated as people.

Baked on Grease

According to their definition of Soveriegn Citizen, I geuss nearlly everone ob this forum is one. I mean.. how dare people think that we have Rights in spite of laws insyead of because of them.

RK3369

if they've served the sentence...........

then haven't they paid their debt to society and thereby should have all their rights restored? I can see an argument saying that if they used a gun in the commission of a violent crime, then they should never again be allowed to possess one, but other than that, I'm not sure we as a society have the right to take away all of their other rights for the duration of their life.

sudden valley gunner

then haven't they paid their debt to society and thereby should have all their rights restored? I can see an argument saying that if they used a gun in the commission of a violent crime, then they should never again be allowed to possess one, but other than that, I'm not sure we as a society have the right to take away all of their other rights for the duration of their life.

IF they used their fists, should they have hands no more?

OC for ME

What harm is done to "society" for any citizen to merely possess a gun?

If a citizen should use a gun for evil he must answer for his crime regardless of the weapon used, or no weapon used at all.

If a citizen uses a gun for good he will be brought forward to answer for the crime of merely possessing a gun regardless of his good deed.

Cops gladly enforce this ridiculous law just because they can.

cjohnson44546

So, who will protect them while they are on parole?

So, while on parole, you have no right to the means to defend yourself?
Parole doesn't mean free to go... They are still paying their debt. If they don't like the consequences they shouldn't have done the crime.

Not only is it unconstitutional, it is a waste of resources. Everybody knows if a criminal wants a gun, they will get a gun, and commit crime with it. That is why they are criminals, but the freemen with a past, who served their time, payed their debt and are law abiding should be treated as people.
The problems are our lax laws and letting people off without really paying their debts. The punishments need a major overhaul. If the were correctly done, I'd have no problems with felons getting guns legally. There are people released that should never be released, and that is one reason they aren't trusted. Felons have proven they cannot be trusted to be law abiding citizens. Doing your time in no way changes that. Many should be locked up for life, but at least they lose some of their rights since they are let go. I think as a whole, the US is much too easy on criminals. I cannot be for giving felons guns, until AFTER the actual system is fixed, not before.

sudden valley gunner

Parole doesn't mean free to go... They are still paying their debt. If they don't like the consequences they shouldn't have done the crime.

The problems are our lax laws and letting people off without really paying their debts. The punishments need a major overhaul. If the were correctly done, I'd have no problems with felons getting guns legally. There are people released that should never be released, and that is one reason they aren't trusted. Felons have proven they cannot be trusted to be law abiding citizens. Doing your time in no way changes that. Many should be locked up for life, but at least they lose some of their rights since they are let go. I think as a whole, the US is much too easy on criminals. I cannot be for giving felons guns, until AFTER the actual system is fixed, not before.

Who did they reimburse for their crimes?