Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Wondering if BR checks on cops are thorough enough

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838

    Wondering if BR checks on cops are thorough enough

    http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/po...had-raped-wife

    The police report says Joshua Boren was sexually abused as a child, struggled with drug addiction as a young man and pornography addiction throughout his life, and had a deep-rooted hatred for his mother.


    A guy who hates his mother probably is not suited to be a cop .. there are many other folks available.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-19-2014 at 06:10 AM. Reason: fixed title - not through

  2. #2
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    A guy who hates his mother probably is not suited to be a cop .. there are many other folks available.
    Completely disagree with you. There are tones of good people out there that hate their mothers.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,202
    Back ground checks for LEOs vary greatly from department to department I've seen no back ground checks to very details ones.

    I seen officers who were both good and not so good with great back grounds and not so great back grounds.

    People being people it is really hard to predict who well be what.

    Same with education requirements for LEOs I seen good officers with just an HS education and seen poor officers with much higher education.

    It is impossible to predict what well happen in the future.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  4. #4
    Regular Member Maverick9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-atlantic
    Posts
    1,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Completely disagree with you. There are tones of good people out there that hate their mothers.
    I reject your notion that people should be measured in tons...oh, wait (remembers last Walmart visit). Nevermind.

    Oh snap, you said tones, didn't you. Now, you've lost me.
    Last edited by Maverick9; 07-20-2014 at 10:35 AM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    I reject your notion that people should be measured in tons...oh, wait (remembers last Walmart visit). Nevermind.

    Oh snap, you said tones, didn't you. Now, you've lost me.
    Yeah, people are melodic.
    Last edited by Jack House; 07-20-2014 at 05:22 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770
    From what I understand (very little) of psychiatry and psychology, there is no absolute way of predicting what any given individual will or will not do over the long term. There are indicators that should come up during psych testing that should, and I stress the word "should", give some indication to the stability of an individual.

    That said, again from what I understand, a sociopath or psychopath can sail through most of those tests without raising any red flags.

    A question: After a person is hired and trained as a police officer, do they have to undergo random drug testing which also includes testing for steroid use? If they don't, that might explain some of the more outrageous incidents, to include this one, that have occurred.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

  7. #7
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    From what I understand (very little) of psychiatry and psychology, there is no absolute way of predicting what any given individual will or will not do over the long term. There are indicators that should come up during psych testing that should, and I stress the word "should", give some indication to the stability of an individual.

    That said, again from what I understand, a sociopath or psychopath can sail through most of those tests without raising any red flags.

    A question: After a person is hired and trained as a police officer, do they have to undergo random drug testing which also includes testing for steroid use? If they don't, that might explain some of the more outrageous incidents, to include this one, that have occurred.
    Would depend on department pikocy and contract. We do random testing for alcohol and drugs. Actuallt very thorough.

    Immediately have to drive to hospital (time is written down and logged) where you are met with a nurse from a private company. They give us a breathalyzer and blood draw on the spot. If you blow anything besides goose eggs your screwed. Not sure what the exact drugs they they test for but its a lot...

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Would depend on department pikocy and contract. We do random testing for alcohol and drugs. Actuallt very thorough.

    Immediately have to drive to hospital (time is written down and logged) where you are met with a nurse from a private company. They give us a breathalyzer and blood draw on the spot. If you blow anything besides goose eggs your screwed. Not sure what the exact drugs they they test for but its a lot...

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Sound like [C2H5OH] testing ... really, you should know what they are testing for ...

  9. #9
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,886
    if departments utilize Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI-2), long version ~ 567 questions, they might discern traits, which if not ignored, could identify personnel who can not cut the mustard in the high stress, risk job.

    however: quote the MMPI-2 is oriented towards the detection of psychopathology and it is considered a medical test, it is only appropriate for use in pre-employment screening only after all other factors have been considered. These other factors include interviews, background checks, strength and fitness tests, and reading tests. Areas of the MMPI-2 that are useful in pre-employment screening include the validity scales and the basic scales, where high scores indicate that the applicant might be a good candidate for removal from the applicant pool. In addition, elevations on some of the Supplementary Scales may be significant indicators for removal. In recent years, the MMPI-2 has been undergoing significant changes that include the RC Scales (Restructured Clinical) and their associated Restructured Form. These new areas of the MMPI-2 have the potential to be significant indicators for police pre-employment screening, but they have not been fully validated by law enforcement. Other areas where the MMPI-2 may be useful include Fitness-for-Duty Evaluations (FFDEs) and treatment planning for troubled officers. unquote

    https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publicatio...aspx?ID=254015

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  10. #10
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,886
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Sound like [C2H5OH] testing ... really, you should know what they are testing for ...
    i am sure it is the standard panel but you should know precisely what is being tested and how the sample is handled, especially since your job is in the balance if they miss test your sample.

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  11. #11
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,274
    Joshua Boren had worked for the Lindon Police Department for only three months when the murder-suicide occurred. Before that, he was a Utah County sheriff's deputy for seven years, Johnson said.
    As troubled as this nitwit is being made out to be it is astonishing that his co-workers had no clue this guy was a "3-year-old boy stuck in a big man's body."

    Just goes to show you that once you are on the "in" everybody else is on the "out."
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    i am sure it is the standard panel but you should know precisely what is being tested and how the sample is handled, especially since your job is in the balance if they miss test your sample.

    ipse
    If its drug testing, I would sure like to know the methods that the lab uses .. many methods are flawed.

    And do they audit the labs? Or just assume that they are good labs?

    In my state the medical examiner for the state (you know, the one that produces evidence for trials) has never audited any lab ~ a big red flag to any results they produce.


    http://news.yahoo.com/florida-town-s...082251736.html
    ^^^ see this story? Do they do any checking at all there? No even ask the question? KKK? Sure, whatever.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 07-21-2014 at 04:17 PM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Completely disagree with you. There are tones of good people out there that hate their mothers.
    My mother is a violent, agressive , abusive person. I detest her and have nothing to do with her.

    Now of course since cops need to have a low IQ to be a cop, it does seem reasonable to fill the ranks they would need to fill it up with folks who will not think outside the box and the prescribed view point.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •