• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wondering if BR checks on cops are thorough enough

davidmcbeth

Banned
Last edited by a moderator:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Back ground checks for LEOs vary greatly from department to department I've seen no back ground checks to very details ones.

I seen officers who were both good and not so good with great back grounds and not so great back grounds.

People being people it is really hard to predict who well be what.

Same with education requirements for LEOs I seen good officers with just an HS education and seen poor officers with much higher education.

It is impossible to predict what well happen in the future.

Maverick9

Completely disagree with you. There are tones of good people out there that hate their mothers.

I reject your notion that people should be measured in tons...oh, wait (remembers last Walmart visit). Nevermind.

Oh snap, you said tones, didn't you. Now, you've lost me.

Last edited:

Jack House

I reject your notion that people should be measured in tons...oh, wait (remembers last Walmart visit). Nevermind.

Oh snap, you said tones, didn't you. Now, you've lost me.
Yeah, people are melodic. :cool:

Last edited:

SFCRetired

From what I understand (very little) of psychiatry and psychology, there is no absolute way of predicting what any given individual will or will not do over the long term. There are indicators that should come up during psych testing that should, and I stress the word "should", give some indication to the stability of an individual.

That said, again from what I understand, a sociopath or psychopath can sail through most of those tests without raising any red flags.

A question: After a person is hired and trained as a police officer, do they have to undergo random drug testing which also includes testing for steroid use? If they don't, that might explain some of the more outrageous incidents, to include this one, that have occurred.

Primus

From what I understand (very little) of psychiatry and psychology, there is no absolute way of predicting what any given individual will or will not do over the long term. There are indicators that should come up during psych testing that should, and I stress the word "should", give some indication to the stability of an individual.

That said, again from what I understand, a sociopath or psychopath can sail through most of those tests without raising any red flags.

A question: After a person is hired and trained as a police officer, do they have to undergo random drug testing which also includes testing for steroid use? If they don't, that might explain some of the more outrageous incidents, to include this one, that have occurred.

Would depend on department pikocy and contract. We do random testing for alcohol and drugs. Actuallt very thorough.

Immediately have to drive to hospital (time is written down and logged) where you are met with a nurse from a private company. They give us a breathalyzer and blood draw on the spot. If you blow anything besides goose eggs your screwed. Not sure what the exact drugs they they test for but its a lot...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
Would depend on department pikocy and contract. We do random testing for alcohol and drugs. Actuallt very thorough.

Immediately have to drive to hospital (time is written down and logged) where you are met with a nurse from a private company. They give us a breathalyzer and blood draw on the spot. If you blow anything besides goose eggs your screwed. Not sure what the exact drugs they they test for but its a lot...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Sound like [C2H5OH] testing ... really, you should know what they are testing for ...

solus

if departments utilize Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI-2), long version ~ 567 questions, they might discern traits, which if not ignored, could identify personnel who can not cut the mustard in the high stress, risk job.

however: quote the MMPI-2 is oriented towards the detection of psychopathology and it is considered a medical test, it is only appropriate for use in pre-employment screening only after all other factors have been considered. These other factors include interviews, background checks, strength and fitness tests, and reading tests. Areas of the MMPI-2 that are useful in pre-employment screening include the validity scales and the basic scales, where high scores indicate that the applicant might be a good candidate for removal from the applicant pool. In addition, elevations on some of the Supplementary Scales may be significant indicators for removal. In recent years, the MMPI-2 has been undergoing significant changes that include the RC Scales (Restructured Clinical) and their associated Restructured Form. These new areas of the MMPI-2 have the potential to be significant indicators for police pre-employment screening, but they have not been fully validated by law enforcement. Other areas where the MMPI-2 may be useful include Fitness-for-Duty Evaluations (FFDEs) and treatment planning for troubled officers. unquote

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publications/abstract.aspx?ID=254015

ipse

solus

Sound like [C2H5OH] testing ... really, you should know what they are testing for ...

i am sure it is the standard panel but you should know precisely what is being tested and how the sample is handled, especially since your job is in the balance if they miss test your sample.

ipse

OC for ME

Joshua Boren had worked for the Lindon Police Department for only three months when the murder-suicide occurred. Before that, he was a Utah County sheriff's deputy for seven years, Johnson said.
As troubled as this nitwit is being made out to be it is astonishing that his co-workers had no clue this guy was a "3-year-old boy stuck in a big man's body."

Just goes to show you that once you are on the "in" everybody else is on the "out."

davidmcbeth

Banned
i am sure it is the standard panel but you should know precisely what is being tested and how the sample is handled, especially since your job is in the balance if they miss test your sample.

ipse

If its drug testing, I would sure like to know the methods that the lab uses .. many methods are flawed.

And do they audit the labs? Or just assume that they are good labs?

In my state the medical examiner for the state (you know, the one that produces evidence for trials) has never audited any lab ~ a big red flag to any results they produce.

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-town-stunned-news-police-kkk-ties-082251736.html
^^^ see this story? Do they do any checking at all there? No even ask the question? KKK? Sure, whatever.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Completely disagree with you. There are tones of good people out there that hate their mothers.

My mother is a violent, agressive , abusive person. I detest her and have nothing to do with her.

Now of course since cops need to have a low IQ to be a cop, it does seem reasonable to fill the ranks they would need to fill it up with folks who will not think outside the box and the prescribed view point.