Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: If asked...

  1. #1
    Regular Member sparkman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Posts
    132

    Question If asked...

    I open carry almost everywhere I can, and if I can't I don't go there. I am curious as to how some of you respond to individuals asking you why you carry a firearm. I have been asked a couple of times why and my response always depends on the individual who is asking. I was asked by a mother once why I carry a firearm and I explained to her that as a father and as a husband, I have a duty and responsibility to protect my family and myself from those who wish to do us harm. Another time a friend asked me and I told him that I would rather have one and not need it than need it and not have one.

    One time I was told that firearms should only be for LEO and that people should not be able to have firearms. I asked them what gives them the right to say such a thing, and their reply was "I have a right to speak and that is protected by the Constitution!" I smiled and said "that's funny, my right to have a firearm is protected by that very same Constitution...imagine that".

    It's funny how all the anti's out there question my right to protect my family and myself, tell me that I shouldn't be allowed to have firearms, and then hide behind the very same Constitution that protects their rights to speak those words to me. Imagine the uproar if a license was required to make a speech, write a book, or go to church.

    I was just wondering what some of you have said and to have a better dialogue with those who ask.
    Last edited by sparkman2; 07-19-2014 at 10:49 AM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson (quoting Cesare Beccaria)

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,152
    Where there is no commitment to concord (union, harmony, stipulation, covenant)) there is no dialogue. One of the denoted meanings of dialogue is logical and rational expression.

    I ignore challenges to my gun carry. I thank praise privately/discreetly.

    I related here, not too long ago, a clothing malfunction that left my gun indiscreetly exposed to a kindhearted caution by a neighbor. We had never exchanged words of any sort before, but now we have a common interest.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  3. #3
    Regular Member sparkman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Where there is no commitment to concord (union, harmony, stipulation, covenant)) there is no dialogue. One of the denoted meanings of dialogue is logical and rational expression.

    I ignore challenges to my gun carry. I thank praise privately/discreetly.

    I related here, not too long ago, a clothing malfunction that left my gun indiscreetly exposed to a kindhearted caution by a neighbor. We had never exchanged words of any sort before, but now we have a common interest.
    I see your point and I agree. I for one live my life as simple as possible. It is these moments when asked a question pertaining to this particular topic, I feel that if I choose to respond to their question, my response should be logical, respectful, and not seem arrogant. I'm not responding to change their mind, I'm responding to their question as to why and the manner in which I respond could help or hurt their view of those of us who choose to open carry. Word of mouth can travel very fast, as that gun store owner in New Kent County found out, how you choose to respond to a question can really come back and bite you.
    I had a similar occurrence awhile back. Was out and about and realized my zipper was not fully up so to speak. As someone else pointed out in this forum, it gave a whole new meaning to the words "open carry".
    Last edited by sparkman2; 07-19-2014 at 10:21 AM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson (quoting Cesare Beccaria)

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkman2 View Post
    Imagine the uproar if a license was required to make a speech, write a book, or go to church. ( only if you "conceal/hide from the public when you speak. )

    I was just wondering what some of you have said and to have a better dialogue with those who ask.
    SVG, myself and several others set up a booth(by invitation) at the "Gay Pride" music festival in B'ham last weekend. A gentleman kept asking us the usual questions and were gave him relevant answers because we were prepared for them. He would counter us and then go google answers to verify us. He must have asked, checked and asked again a dozen times before his mind opened like a sunrise and he admitted he understood and supported us.
    On the other hand their was a very closed minded guy who took a (partial) copy of an ordinance excluding weapons from music festivals and he demanded that we be removed, he made an mwag call and was a general PIA for a while. Most laughed at him and he was asked to leave.
    This is the difference between a mind that is open to education and one that is forever closed due to fear.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  5. #5
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    First, I don't carry weapons.
    Weapons are intended to be used to harm, and I hope I never have to do that.

    As for what I say when people ask me why I have a pistol, it depends on the situation & their attitude.

    I carry because it's a civil right. Rights need no reasons or justification.

    I carry to be able to protect myself.

    I carry for education. (Showing other people that gun /= evil, murder, death, etc., as well as having a better idea of how to exercise their RKBA... heck, sometimes people don't even know that they're allowed to!)

    I carry because criminals usually aren't stupid enough to attack someone when there's a cop around & there's rarely a cop around.

    Also because in my city the police response time to serious emergencies is on average over 13 minutes (after the victim gets to a phone, and calls 911, and explains where s/he is & what the problem is), and I'd like to be alive & unharmed if they ever arrive.
    (The criminal can be alive & unharmed if he doesn't attack me, or leaves once he realizes he's bitten off more than he can chew, or decides that lying on the ground spread-eagle & waiting for police is a good idea.)

    Also because according to the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports database my city has the highest rate of violent crime in the state, generally by at least twice the rate of the next most violent city.

  6. #6
    Regular Member sparkman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    First, I don't carry weapons.
    Weapons are intended to be used to harm, and I hope I never have to do that.

    As for what I say when people ask me why I have a pistol, it depends on the situation & their attitude.

    I carry because it's a civil right. Rights need no reasons or justification.

    I carry to be able to protect myself.

    I carry for education. (Showing other people that gun /= evil, murder, death, etc., as well as having a better idea of how to exercise their RKBA... heck, sometimes people don't even know that they're allowed to!)

    I carry because criminals usually aren't stupid enough to attack someone when there's a cop around & there's rarely a cop around.

    Also because in my city the police response time to serious emergencies is on average over 13 minutes (after the victim gets to a phone, and calls 911, and explains where s/he is & what the problem is), and I'd like to be alive & unharmed if they ever arrive.
    (The criminal can be alive & unharmed if he doesn't attack me, or leaves once he realizes he's bitten off more than he can chew, or decides that lying on the ground spread-eagle & waiting for police is a good idea.)

    Also because according to the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports database my city has the highest rate of violent crime in the state, generally by at least twice the rate of the next most violent city.
    I wasn't concerned with being politically correct, just was posing a question to those here who wish to respond. To be fair I will edit my OP to reflect "firearm".
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson (quoting Cesare Beccaria)

  7. #7
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    I have never been asked why I carry, sometimes "Are those real". Why I carry is my own business, and I would probably relay that if ever asked why.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    "Why do you carry a gun?"/"Why are you carrying a gun?"

    "Why aren't you?"

    "What do you mean?"

    "How do you plan to protect yourself if someone tries to harm you?"

    "Why would anybody do that? I'm not a bad person."

    "But anybody that would try to harm you would be a bad person, right?"

    "Well, I could always call the police."

    "And they would come after that bad person harmed you. What good would they be then?"

    "Oh." .... (wait for it).... "But why would anybody try to harm you if they saw you are carrying a gun?" .... (wait for it again) ...."Oh." .... (wait some more) .... "So can just anybody carry a gun? Don't you need some sort of license?"

    "Carrying a gun is a right. You don't need permission to do anything that is your right."

    "Oh."

    "Here is some information about your right to carry a gun and what the laws are about carrying a gun. You can go to the websites on the bottom [of the card - OCDO & VCDL in the case of the cards I hand out] to find out more about it.

    "OK. Thanks."

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  9. #9
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    I generally weigh my response based upon the individual who has asked the question; how I perceive them, their demeanor and sense of humor. I tend to prefer comical responses but do hold those in abeyance most of the time. So it usually boils down to something like this.

    "Why do you carry a firearm?" or "Why do you carry like that?"
    "So I don't have to use it."

    I have found this to be both non-threatening to the person asking and gives them pause as they try to make some sense of it. This gives me the opportunity to engage them in conversation and I have yet to have a bad time of it with someone who has asked me similar questions.

    "Why do you carry a firearm?"

    "I have some medical issues that preclude me from fighting or running as I was once able to do. This makes me a perfect victim and I would rather not be one of those."

    Once I explain those medical issues, they understand. Other questions tend to ensue and the encounter winds up good for both parties.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    "Why do you carry a gun?"/"Why are you carrying a gun?"

    "Why aren't you?"

    "What do you mean?"

    "How do you plan to protect yourself if someone tries to harm you?"

    "Why would anybody do that? I'm not a bad person."

    "But anybody that would try to harm you would be a bad person, right?"

    "Well, I could always call the police."

    "And they would come after that bad person harmed you. What good would they be then?"

    "Oh." .... (wait for it).... "But why would anybody try to harm you if they saw you are carrying a gun?" .... (wait for it again) ...."Oh." .... (wait some more) .... "So can just anybody carry a gun? Don't you need some sort of license?"

    "Carrying a gun is a right. You don't need permission to do anything that is your right."

    "Oh."

    "Here is some information about your right to carry a gun and what the laws are about carrying a gun. You can go to the websites on the bottom [of the card - OCDO & VCDL in the case of the cards I hand out] to find out more about it.

    "OK. Thanks."

    stay safe.
    Have had that exact conversation many times!!

    Alot of times it goes to "well if people didnt have guns then there would..."

    "Ah yes the good ol law of the jungle!"

  11. #11
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkman2 View Post
    I open carry almost everywhere I can, and if I can't I don't go there. I am curious as to how some of you respond to individuals asking you why you carry a firearm. I have been asked a couple of times why and my response always depends on the individual who is asking. I was asked by a mother once why I carry a firearm and I explained to her that as a father and as a husband, I have a duty and responsibility to protect my family and myself from those who wish to do us harm. Another time a friend asked me and I told him that I would rather have one and not need it than need it and not have one.

    One time I was told that firearms should only be for LEO and that people should not be able to have firearms. I asked them what gives them the right to say such a thing, and their reply was "I have a right to speak and that is protected by the Constitution!" I smiled and said "that's funny, my right to have a firearm is protected by that very same Constitution...imagine that".

    It's funny how all the anti's out there question my right to protect my family and myself, tell me that I shouldn't be allowed to have firearms, and then hide behind the very same Constitution that protects their rights to speak those words to me. Imagine the uproar if a license was required to make a speech, write a book, or go to church.

    I was just wondering what some of you have said and to have a better dialogue with those who ask.

    I don't have a canned response but I try to stay polite and informative.
    While I might not change the mind of the person asking questions I might influence or educate someone else in ear shot.

    20+ yrs Ocing and yet to have an anti rights idiot get hostile with me, must be my smile.
    Last edited by Marco; 07-21-2014 at 03:19 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Virginia beach
    Posts
    25
    My typical answer is, "Because you are not." This has always initiated a reasonable conversation.
    Last edited by rev.david; 07-22-2014 at 05:50 PM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Richmond
    Posts
    163

    waffle house

    Sunday at waffle house while waiting 30 min for a table, I was asked what kind of gun it was. I replied sub compact .45. He replied how much was it. I replied $600. He said isnt that expensive, I said isnt your life worth $600.
    If you can not move at 1100 fps, then pass me by.

  14. #14
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    Quote Originally Posted by thedevilrobyjohn View Post
    Sunday at waffle house while waiting 30 min for a table, I was asked what kind of gun it was. I replied sub compact .45. He replied how much was it. I replied $600. He said isnt that expensive, I said isnt your life worth $600.
    Honestly my life is worth over a quarter million dollars, that is the cost of several heart procedures. Would I spend over a quarter million dollars on a a handgun? OHHH HELL NO!

    You can protect yourself with a free handgun if the handgun works. Money has no effectiveness(unless you can afford multiple armed body guards) on self defense. Numerous times people have used SNS to stop/kill an attacker. I have a PA-63 that I paid 60 dollars for over ten years ago, it actually has saved me from harm(charging large pit bull), where my most expensive gun has not. Please stop using that line, it is not only not true, it makes you look like a gun snob.

    I had a CW Enfield musket that I gave to my son, worth well over a grand. Is my life worth carrying a gun just based on cost alone? Ohhh hell no, but your mileage may vary.

    ETA large police depts pay on average around $200 for service pistols, it that all their life is worth?
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 07-23-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  15. #15
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,272
    Why do you carry a gun?

    Snarky retort: "A cell phone is notoriously ineffective at stopping a thug from harming me or my family."

    Rational response: "Nothing illegal about that."
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Honestly my life is worth over a quarter million dollars, that is the cost of several heart procedures. Would I spend over a quarter million dollars on a a handgun? OHHH HELL NO!

    You can protect yourself with a free handgun if the handgun works. Money has no effectiveness(unless you can afford multiple armed body guards) on self defense. Numerous times people have used SNS to stop/kill an attacker. I have a PA-63 that I paid 60 dollars for over ten years ago, it actually has saved me from harm(charging large pit bull), where my most expensive gun has not. Please stop using that line, it is not only not true, it makes you look like a gun snob.

    I had a CW Enfield musket that I gave to my son, worth well over a grand. Is my life worth carrying a gun just based on cost alone? Ohhh hell no, but your mileage may vary.

    ETA large police depts pay on average around $200 for service pistols, it that all their life is worth?
    Given the scenario and the way it came up, I say it was a good response. Maybe if he was wearing a hi-point... Honestly I don't get your acidity towards it. Is it regarding human life with monetary value that upsets you? Or that he wasn't quick enough with a better response?
    What is your example of what to say, I do ask?

  17. #17
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    Quote Originally Posted by FattyKrack View Post
    Given the scenario and the way it came up, I say it was a good response. Maybe if he was wearing a hi-point... Honestly I don't get your acidity towards it. Is it regarding human life with monetary value that upsets you? Or that he wasn't quick enough with a better response?
    What is your example of what to say, I do ask?
    It comes from the only people who say that are gun snobs, or fanboys of one gun or another. It is a justification, that has no bearing in fact, to validate spending money when none is needed. Now he may not be a gun snob or fanboy, but it is the typical response from those groups.

    I would have just said the gun is worth it for me, and left it at that. There are guns out there that would sell for 100,000 or more that would not be suitable for self defense carry. As far as human monetary value that is as insulting as it gets, life is priceless.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  18. #18
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,275
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Why do you carry a gun?

    Snarky retort: "A cell phone is notoriously ineffective at stopping a thug from harming me or my family."

    Rational response: "Nothing illegal about that."
    Good example, because when a person uses a smart arse retort, they are a smart arse. And that does nothing to educate, or further carry.

    If the person asking is being a a-hole, the best response is none, avoid confrontation. If the person is just curious there is no reason to be a jerk.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    I used to carry a rape whistle ... but then I got raped too much

  20. #20
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,608
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Good example, because when a person uses a smart arse retort, they are a smart arse. And that does nothing to educate, or further carry.

    If the person asking is being a a-hole, the best response is none, avoid confrontation. If the person is just curious there is no reason to be a jerk.
    Being a jerk will likely get you remembered (and all of us)......for all of the wrong reasons.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  21. #21
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Being a jerk will likely get you remembered (and all of us)......for all of the wrong reasons.
    So true. Whether or not we agree with this, we are all ambassadors for the right to carry; both openly and concealed. You will be judged by your demeanor, character, general appearance, and how you conduct yourself. It's a simple fact of life and like it or not we all do this. It behooves every one of us to think about this whenever we exit our homes and enter the public domain.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,194
    I adopted this So I can meet nice people like you and talk about are right to keep and bear arms.

    It is a disarming statement (pun Intended )

    Give you an opening to have a good positive conversation.

    Getting into a heated argument is not a good thing but if the other person wants to converse in a reasonable manner I'll talk if not I'll politely excuse my self and go on my way.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  23. #23
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I used to carry a rape whistle ... but then I got raped too much
    How much did you pay for it?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  24. #24
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,866
    Op, as much as nightmare and i dance, i must state his was the proper response...

    ignore the comment and continue walking.

    Yes, i know, deep in our hearts we all wish and feel the need to express an effective dialogue with others to further the educational goals of some idiot about open carry, but...

    MSG, SVG, Skid, & MKEgal, et al., truly what do your exchanges with the Q/A dance you do to answer continuous and contemptuous questions result in? did the good citizen you were 'enlightening' running out to purchase a firearm ensemble so they could immediately joining the other throng who are OC'g?

    skid you are to be commended, as, the dialogue you described is nothing more than playing head games with the individual, as you are well aware.

    MKEgal, most citizens do not have a clue or give a rat's arse about 2A so you are wasting your breath.

    i liken those types of questions to 'why are you wearing those kinda of pants - don't only police wear those, shirt, belt, why do you have a beard, and what color is your underwear, or wait, i can see from the plumber's crack you're not wearing any ~ ewww!

    our society has this stupid belief they must respond (or answer their cell) whenever someone speaks, once you get over it you will find life will go on!

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  25. #25
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    ... life is priceless.
    And that is likely his point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •