• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Springfield...

BriKuz

My wife, kids, and I are in the process of moving to the Springfield area as we speak... We have been fairly active in the rtkba community in Ohio, and intend to make hairy nuisances of ourselves in MO, should the need ever arise. (In other words, we intend to support the community.)

Just wanted to give an intro... we have not been hugely active on OCDO as of late, or even OFCC's forums, but we'll be around, lurking at the least!

Brian + Janae

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Oh, heck! Thee goes the neighborhood.:uhoh:

As if I have not had enough enjoyment reading about the fun and games in the "I'll Show Them" state, now there are two more busybodies heading into the mix. :D

I have an idea you will be welcomed into the fracas.

stay safe.

kcgunfan

Springfield is a great town and I've never had an issue there. Welcome to Missouri!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MyWifeSaidYes

Aw, shucks.

I was hoping he meant Springfield, Ohio.

Now who am I gonna call when I need to release the hounds in northern Ohio?

:cry:

BriKuz

MWSY, time to recruit some more troublemakers, er, freedom lovers in Ohio! Besides, MWSY, you are a pretty good Uncle Festering Wound in the side of antis all by yourself... Although YOU may find it hard to get the liberal mind into a complete overload by seeing my wife breastfeed AND OC at the same time! lmao

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
My wife, kids, and I are in the process of moving to the Springfield area as we speak... We have been fairly active in the rtkba community in Ohio, and intend to make hairy nuisances of ourselves in MO, should the need ever arise. (In other words, we intend to support the community.)

Just wanted to give an intro... we have not been hugely active on OCDO as of late, or even OFCC's forums, but we'll be around, lurking at the least!

Brian + Janae
Well, this blows!

My best wishes to you, your wife and kids. Please send your new contact info when you move.

The first thing you can do is to get preemption and unlicensed OC in MO. ;)

Missourians: you are getting a GREAT and knowledgeable activist, and all around good guy.

OC for ME

MO has unlicensed OC already, what we need is the regulation of OC by towns to be stricken from the books.

Patchwork of laws is a understatement. Research the city code of Springfield and the surrounding towns. The key search phrase is "unlawful use of weapon."

Welcome.

Brian D.

BriKuz, you came here to the Missouri section to say hello, all well and good. But you should also post up a "See ya later" thread in the Ohio section, shouldn't you?

Best of luck in your new locale.

OC for ME

Good luck with that. :uhoh:

What you need is preemption with teeth (see KY and FL).
You be the judge.

Firearms legislation preemption by general assembly, exceptions--limitation on civil recovery against firearms or ammunitions manufacturers, when, exception.

21.750. 1. The general assembly hereby occupies and preempts the entire field of legislation touching in any way firearms, components, ammunition and supplies to the complete exclusion of any order, ordinance or regulation by any political subdivision of this state. Any existing or future orders, ordinances or regulations in this field are hereby and shall be null and void except as provided in subsection 3 of this section.

2. No county, city, town, village, municipality, or other political subdivision of this state shall adopt any order, ordinance or regulation concerning in any way the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permit, registration, taxation other than sales and compensating use taxes or other controls on firearms, components, ammunition, and supplies except as provided in subsection 3 of this section.

3. Nothing contained in this section shall prohibit any ordinance of any political subdivision which conforms exactly with any of the provisions of sections 571.010 to 571.070, with appropriate penalty provisions, or which regulates the open carrying of firearms readily capable of lethal use or the discharge of firearms within a jurisdiction, provided such ordinance complies with the provisions of section 252.243.

4. The lawful design, marketing, manufacture, distribution, or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public is not an abnormally dangerous activity and does not constitute a public or private nuisance.
5. No county, city, town, village or any other political subdivision nor the state shall bring suit or have any right to recover against any firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer for damages, abatement or injunctive relief resulting from or relating to the lawful design, manufacture, marketing, distribution, or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public. This subsection shall apply to any suit pending as of October 12, 2003, as well as any suit which may be brought in the future. Provided, however, that nothing in this section shall restrict the rights of individual citizens to recover for injury or death caused by the negligent or defective design or manufacture of firearms or ammunition.

6. Nothing in this section shall prevent the state, a county, city, town, village or any other political subdivision from bringing an action against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer for breach of contract or warranty as to firearms or ammunition purchased by the state or such political subdivision.

MyWifeSaidYes

But what penalty would a city face when they refuse to repeal or amend a law invalidated by that bill?

That's the problem with Ohio's preemption law. The city would face paying our court costs and attorney fees IF we won the case. But if the city decides to change their law before the judge rules, the judge can rule the lawsuit moot, then we are out our attorney fees.

Redbaron007

Brian + Janae

CRAP!! There goes the freakin neighborhood!! Just when we started have things under control....we get these Buckeyes coming down here wanting to change the world!!! :cuss:

Well, if you must come to these neck of the woods.....come on...we'll allow to show up....may take 15-20 years for us to make a determination if we'll accept you....but we will be polite, well, most of the time!! :lol:

Welcome to God's country! :cool:

stevebowhunts

Welcome to Springfield. You'll find it extremely OC friendly. I OC everywhere I go with no problem and no funny looks. I think you'll like it here.

REALteach4u

Brian + Janae

Welcome Brian and Janae! As others have said, Springfield is pretty nice as it doesn't have big-city problems and we'd like to keep it that way, though the City Council seems to want to be big-city. You'll find there's quite a bit to do in and around us, so don't be shy about exploring.

One stop I'd truly suggest is the new museum in Bass Pro. Between the firearms museum and the archery museum there's a lot of historic eye candy to be had.

Redbaron007

Brian + Janae

Well? Ya here yet? :)