• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

M&P9c magazine jamming

Seif5034

Firstly, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I didn't feel like it really fit any if the other areas. Mods feel free to move it if needed.

I have a S&W M&P9c. It is fairly new with (probably) less than 300 rds down the pipe. I have encountered a magazine issue with 2 of the 3 factory magazines so far. Once while firing at the range and once while OCing.

The issue is that the rounds about halfway down the magazine seem to jam themselves against the walls of the magazine. This makes it where I can fire 1 or 2 shots then I have a fail to feed. To clear the jam, I have been clearing the weapon, remove the magazine, remove the floor plate and then use a cleaning rod to dislodge the 2 rounds that are stuck.

I clean my weapons after every range trip. I stripped, cleaned and lubricated my pistol and magazines, but then it happened while holstered.

Any ideas?

I asked Smith and Wesson. They are sending me a return label

Firearms Iinstuctor

Are the mag springs installed properly

Look for burs on all the parts

Proper ammo

watch a guy stuffing 40 into is 9 mag and 9 into his 40 mag doesn't work well

Last edited:

Seif5034

Check to all of the above. The first time it happened at the range, I had never taken the magazines apart. The followers definitely aren't backwards, no grit in the mag, everything is lubricated, and no burrs. The ammo I am using is Federal JHP factory-loaded ammo. (I am prior Army, so I know my way around a weapon for the most part). When I took the magazines apart while clearing the malfunction, I could remove the spring and follower real easy, but there would be 2 rounds lodged between the magazine walls. Almost like the ammo was too small or the magazine walls too wide. I've never seen anything like it and I can't find anywhere on the Internet of this happening with a M&P. I just hope S&W will figure it out. I really like this pistol and have a lot of respect for S&W as a company. I hate having to send it back, but I guess it's just one of those things...

davidmcbeth

Banned
I modify mags alll the time .... cut springs down to a better size where a 20 ton press is not needed to load them ... Dremel out the feeds to widen them a little ...

Are the problem mags hard to load compared to non-problem mags?

What are the differences .. you know that there must be a difference .... right?

Examine the mags and report back ...

You say the rounds jam 1/2 way in mag? Why? Anything to stop them from there needed travel? And the rounds about that spot, they pop out with ease v. rounds before?

When I buy new mags, I make sure they work before they are needed.

OP has learned a most important lesson ...

Good luck ! I have found that most mag problems are solvable ...

I usually whack my full mags (primer side) to insure the best luck.

I hate mags that do not feed .. they are useless ! Fix 'em, figure 'em out, or toss 'em ! Rather toss a few mags than be buried !

Last edited:

Seif5034

^^ Too right! I take my weapons seriously. I was honestly really surprisedan that I had an issue with a S&W. I just had the mags apart again. No obvious damage or dents or things of that sort. I don't see any narrowing on the mag aside from at the top where it is supposed to. None of the magazines feel any tougher to load than the other. Maybe I just happened to find some lemon magazines? Or possibly a lemon pistol. I half expected S&W to tell me to try some new magazines (I mentioned to customer support that I had been planning to buy full size magazines), but they told me not to and that would probably not fix the problem. I take that to mean they either have no idea or they think it may be an issue with the pistol itself.

davidmcbeth

Banned
^^ Too right! I take my weapons seriously. I was honestly really surprisedan that I had an issue with a S&W. I just had the mags apart again. No obvious damage or dents or things of that sort. I don't see any narrowing on the mag aside from at the top where it is supposed to. None of the magazines feel any tougher to load than the other. Maybe I just happened to find some lemon magazines? Or possibly a lemon pistol. I half expected S&W to tell me to try some new magazines (I mentioned to customer support that I had been planning to buy full size magazines), but they told me not to and that would probably not fix the problem. I take that to mean they either have no idea or they think it may be an issue with the pistol itself.

Time to take out the calipers and start taking measurements ! And measure the spring constant (easily done). Measure all mags..good v. bad .... you may find the cause. There has to be some reason. Newton would cry if not.

If it was a gun issue, then all the mags would fail.

Its fun to find failure causes.