• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bite of Seattle 2014

trevorthebusdriver

I went to BoS for the first time in many many years. No signs prohibiting firearms. I saw one OC and not a typical one. Skinny, African-American, kinda baggy clothes (don't want to sterotypically say "gangbanger"), but proper belt and holster. Only thing, he was holding his kids hand with his srtong hand/side. I would do the opposite. Also tons of LEO around and no one giving him a hard time or apparently even following him. I didn't get a chance to talk to him.

jsanchez

Right on! Good for him.

Where you driving the bus at the time, is that why you couldn't talk to him.

decklin

I routinely am asked about oc and ownership of firearms in general, as I'm sure most of us are. I have noticed lately that many of the people asking me questions are black. It seems that there is more interest in firearm ownership and carrying by black people.
I've always found it interesting that more black people don't carry so I see this as a very positive step. The more of us that carry the better.

jsanchez

I routinely am asked about oc and ownership of firearms in general, as I'm sure most of us are. I have noticed lately that many of the people asking me questions are black. It seems that there is more interest in firearm ownership and carrying by black people.
I've always found it interesting that more black people don't carry so I see this as a very positive step. The more of us that carry the better.

I agree with this whole heartedly. When I was an armed security guard working in the housing projects of San Francisco I had a lot of conversation with the black tenants about this, but federal policy prevents tenants in housing projects from possessing gun on property unless you were a criminal.

We need to do a lot of out reach to the minority communities in gun education.

I have been wanting to put forth a program called Victimproofing that would educate citizens about the victims of in there city and formal self defense training using the Seattle police/public range. I already am in the beginning stages of the facebook page.

Grim_Night

I agree with this whole heartedly. When I was an armed security guard working in the housing projects of San Francisco I had a lot of conversation with the black tenants about this, but federal policy prevents tenants in housing projects from possessing gun on property unless you were a criminal.

What federal "policy"? If you are thinking that because the housing authority that owned the properties are federally funded through the Department of Housing and Urban Development, then that is wrong. Since the 2008 Heller and 2010 McDonald USSC cases, housing authorities have been taken to court left and right and lost regarding any sort of firearms prohibition because it is a violation of our rights. It's all about the Unconstitutional Conditions Doctrine which states that the government cannot condition a person's receipt of a governmental benefit on the waiver of a constitutionally protected right. In this case, subsidized housing in return for giving up your 2A protected right. If somebody is lawfully permitted to keep and bear arms, the housing authority can't do jack about it and any "rule" that says otherwise is a lawsuit waiting to happen.