Thread: Practice 9mm Lugar FMJ

Practice 9mm Lugar FMJ

I want to practice more with my PX4 Compact.

I have been looking at ammoseek.com, and two low-price manufacturers are being shown.

Does anybody have any thoughts - pro or con - regarding ammo manufactured by:

• Tula
    • Freedom Munitions

I am looking to get 500 rounds at a crack.

Tula is imported typically steel cased ammo that runs very dirty. Freedom Munitions appears to be made in the US and brass cased, but I don't know how cleanly it tends to be as I've not personally used any. I'd be inclined to give it a try before buying any more Tula myself.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by GHF View Post

I have been looking at ammoseek.com, and two low-price manufacturers are being shown.

• Tula
    • Freedom Munitions

If these are the only two you're considering, I'd go with the Freedom Munitions. Although they are reloads, it is implied that they are reloaded in the USA, and probably use better quality components than Tula. (Note that I said probably, which means I have no proof that they DO use better quality components - I'm just guessing.) Freedom claims to thoroughly inspect and pressure test their cases, and that their ammo duplicates OEM performance. Tula has a reputation for being unusually dirty, and not all pistols work well with steel-cased ammo. Pax...

P.S. "Lugar" (Richard) is a politician, Luger is the pistol/ammo designation. I'd hate to have to lug a box of politicians to the range, but I wouldn't mind shooting them once I got there!
    Last edited by Gil223; 07-21-2014 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Typo... and add P.S.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

For just plinking I shoot almost all steel case Tula/Herters/yada yada. I don't skimp on price for actual carry stuff (Critical Defense), but for shooting paper I get whatever I can get for cheap. If I get a "bad" round I consider that a win since I get to have a realistic opportunity for clearing a problem.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    For just plinking I shoot almost all steel case Tula/Herters/yada yada. I don't skimp on price for actual carry stuff (Critical Defense), but for shooting paper I get whatever I can get for cheap. If I get a "bad" round I consider that a win since I get to have a realistic opportunity for clearing a problem.
    Absolutely Truth! I do the same. I expect "combat ammo" to function well. I want to train to that surprise "bad round" on the range, not the street. Cheap, also known as inexpensive, ammunition will give you more range time at a smaller investment.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

There really is no such thing as low cost ammo anymore. Less expensive ammo yea. 22 LR seems to be about the least expensive ammo, but would require a second gun. OTH at 15 dollars a box times 20 boxes of FMJ would be 300 dollars almost the price of second gun, while 22 LR is about 17 dollars for 300, last price at Wally world. 1000 rounds would be less than 100 dollars.

I myself shoot limited, just enough to keep my skills. I actually use airsoft for just plinking to be plinking. And it still hones skills just minus the recoil and noise. You really should look into reloading if you are going to shoot many thousands of rounds. I taught my wife to point shoot using a Crossman C11 pretty much the same as a PX4 in profile. It really made a difference when she switched to live ammo. Pellets and gun are under 50 dollars at Wally world.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by GHF View Post

• Tula
    • Freedom Munitions

I've shot Tula steel-case 9mm with very few issues. One thing to consider is if you shoot outdoors or at an indoor range. The range I frequent prohibits steel-cased ammo. I got some inexpensive reloads that I did have issues with.