• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Practice 9mm Lugar FMJ

GHF

I want to practice more with my PX4 Compact.

I have been looking at ammoseek.com, and two low-price manufacturers are being shown.

Does anybody have any thoughts - pro or con - regarding ammo manufactured by:

• Tula
  • Freedom Munitions
I am looking to get 500 rounds at a crack.

JustaShooter

Tula is imported typically steel cased ammo that runs very dirty. Freedom Munitions appears to be made in the US and brass cased, but I don't know how cleanly it tends to be as I've not personally used any. I'd be inclined to give it a try before buying any more Tula myself.

Gil223

I have been looking at ammoseek.com, and two low-price manufacturers are being shown.

• Tula
  • Freedom Munitions
If these are the only two you're considering, I'd go with the Freedom Munitions. Although they are reloads, it is implied that they are reloaded in the USA, and probably use better quality components than Tula. (Note that I said probably, which means I have no proof that they DO use better quality components - I'm just guessing.) Freedom claims to thoroughly inspect and pressure test their cases, and that their ammo duplicates OEM performance. Tula has a reputation for being unusually dirty, and not all pistols work well with steel-cased ammo. Pax...

P.S. "Lugar" (Richard) is a politician, Luger is the pistol/ammo designation. I'd hate to have to lug a box of politicians to the range, but I wouldn't mind shooting them once I got there! ;)

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
For just plinking I shoot almost all steel case Tula/Herters/yada yada. I don't skimp on price for actual carry stuff (Critical Defense), but for shooting paper I get whatever I can get for cheap. If I get a "bad" round I consider that a win since I get to have a realistic opportunity for clearing a problem.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
For just plinking I shoot almost all steel case Tula/Herters/yada yada. I don't skimp on price for actual carry stuff (Critical Defense), but for shooting paper I get whatever I can get for cheap. If I get a "bad" round I consider that a win since I get to have a realistic opportunity for clearing a problem.

Absolutely Truth! I do the same. I expect "combat ammo" to function well. I want to train to that surprise "bad round" on the range, not the street. Cheap, also known as inexpensive, ammunition will give you more range time at a smaller investment.

WalkingWolf

There really is no such thing as low cost ammo anymore. Less expensive ammo yea. 22 LR seems to be about the least expensive ammo, but would require a second gun. OTH at 15 dollars a box times 20 boxes of FMJ would be 300 dollars almost the price of second gun, while 22 LR is about 17 dollars for 300, last price at Wally world. 1000 rounds would be less than 100 dollars.

I myself shoot limited, just enough to keep my skills. I actually use airsoft for just plinking to be plinking. And it still hones skills just minus the recoil and noise. You really should look into reloading if you are going to shoot many thousands of rounds. I taught my wife to point shoot using a Crossman C11 pretty much the same as a PX4 in profile. It really made a difference when she switched to live ammo. Pellets and gun are under 50 dollars at Wally world.

mikeyb

• Tula
  • Freedom Munitions

I've shot Tula steel-case 9mm with very few issues. One thing to consider is if you shoot outdoors or at an indoor range. The range I frequent prohibits steel-cased ammo. I got some inexpensive reloads that I did have issues with.