• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Odd behavior

OC for ME

You mean this: "the law (18-3303 ID statue)"? ...
It is only a misdemeanor. No harm no foul?

A claim by the OP that he felt at the time that would be engaging in "necessary self defense," based on the totality of the circumstances (the facts he related in his op) as he knew them at the time would mitigate a conviction for violating the cited statute.

A jury would have to agree with him, or disagree with the state and their contention that he did not reasonably fear for his safety and the safety of his spouse.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Walking at night with out a cell phone or flash light, horrors and horrors how did we ever survive with out them.

Sure if you have them and want to carry them they are nice to have but I went on many night walks with out them.

What does one do when you don't have any cell service there still are large areas that don't.

One does the best he can.

OC for ME

Walking at night with out a cell phone or flash light, horrors and horrors how did we ever survive with out them.

Sure if you have them and want to carry them they are nice to have but I went on many night walks with out them.

What does one do when you don't have any cell service there still are large areas that don't.

+1

Yes, how did we ever survive.

Sunshyne

Wait what? You have no plans of doing something on a 'joy walk'? Certainly you don't want to receive a call, so you turn off the volume. With no phone, no camera, you have no information on these people. Did you remember the license number and write it on your hand?

Given the above why are you taking a 10mm on a Joy Walk. I think you're approaching 'dingbat' status, lol.

Explain.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You mean this: "the law (18-3303 ID statue)"?

Strange that in all the posting you have done you have either not noticed that most folks who provide a citation include a hyperlink as a courtesy, or at least actually quotes the relevant portion so that others can see the basis for the legal reasoning.

Normally, you are correct. On this occasion, I thought the OP could spend his time looking it up ... make an effort and its more likely to stick.

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...I was watching them pretty intently while my wife's head was stuck down in her nachos not paying attention to anything in the world(yes this is a source of irritation). Also at this time there was a walking gap between us because my wife was walking so slow while eating her nachos. Well after they got an eye full they drove off at normal speeds and I lost sight of them as they rounded a small corner.

SNIP...

Once the guys in the van spot me they stop and ask "Are you two together?", and yes he sounded like a fool asking it. My wife responds with a "yes", and we get followed up with and "Oh, you two are such and odd couple." Commenting on our height difference, they then put the van back into drive and we did not see them again.

I feel like I should have drawn my gun and kept it hidden behind my back(it never broke kydex), or at least had my hand on the grip. I am certain that my wife was targeted to be a victim of a crime. In the end nobody got hurt, so I guess all is well that ends well.

Thanks for taking the time to read, sorry for any grammar or spelling errors.

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona, Sunshyne!:)
Just my two cents:
Situational Awareness can not be stressed enough. I've got scores of family members who are oblivious to their surroundings; see if you can use this as an educational opportunity before the lesson is learned along with heavy regret.

It seems like just KNOWING the possible target (the lady) was with a strapping man was a deterrent in itself; if other means of deterrence are present/put into action, the sidearm doesn't need to leave the holster. In the end, I believe it worked out since they decided to ask (thereby alerting their target?:confused:) and didn't actually attack.

Others have mentioned it, it is constantly brought up, but I will reiterate: a simple voice recorder can be invaluable after a self-defense shooting. I never head out without having at least the voice recorder running ("Two is one, and one is none...").
I use mine to voice my thoughts/concerns ("approximately ___ pm, local Tempe time, just had an encounter at McDonalds with a middle-aged African-American man who became quite boisterous and began to draw attention to my firearm; about 6' 9", lean, athletic build, dreads, and a muscle shirt..."). Even if video doesn't come out well (it did), I have a description I can put on a police report. Devil is in the details.

Lastly, why not carry a cell phone? I carry an (admittedly) old flip phone; if I don't feel like being bothered, I simply turn it to vibrate or silent. A phone call to the police may not summon the magical beings in time to help, but maybe it will reflect better when the prosecution tries to make you seem like a trigger-happy thug (and tries to make the thugs seem like sainted newborn babies:rolleyes:).
Can carrying my phone be a bother? Sure it can. But so can my 1911.

In any case, glad you and yours are alright.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I can only imagine that a voice recorder would only hurt the OP in this situation.

If he would have brandished the gun and it gets on tape, then he would be doomed in court.

bchunter

You guys are lucky with your emergency phones down your highways. Here I can go hours driving with no cell coverage/other people.

SFCRetired

Only fault is the fact that your wife had her head down and was not aware of what was going on. I face that same problem with my lovely bride. She has, from being raised in another culture entirely, no concept of situational awareness or even an awareness of how many bad guys there really are walking our streets.

I'm working on it, though, and that, OP, is what you need to do. Do carry the cell phone, especially if it has a camera function. That can be useful for more than just calling 911.

You handled it very well and I am glad both of you came through without either being harmed or having to use deadly force.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
The OP's wife ALSO needs to be carrying, period.

Then, they've got an "A-Team" thang goin' on! Catch the POSs out there messing with them in a cross-fire!

;-)

"I love it when a plan comes together." -- John "Hannibal" Smith

Last edited:

Sunshyne

The OP's wife ALSO needs to be carrying, period.

Then, they've got an "A-Team" thang goin' on! Catch the POSs out there messing with them in a cross-fire!

;-)

"I love it when a plan comes together." -- John "Hannibal" Smith

She does have one. I bought her a gun showed her how to shoot, bought her ammo, loaded her mags, made her a holster, and bought her a belt. She won't carry. The irony is she has scum bags trying crap all the time when she is by herself. People don't even say hi to me when I am alone, and I have only forgotten my gun 1 time in the last 10 years of carrying.

Last edited:

wimwag

Given the above why are you taking a 10mm on a Joy Walk. I think you're approaching 'dingbat' status, lol.

Probably the same reason you put your gun on the outside of your clothing instead of inside.

Are you going to ask me why I take a .40 on a joy walk? It's...gasp...only 2mm shorter than the 10mm auto! I must be a dingbat!

wimwag

Indeed. Where I now live, a cellphone is less useful than a stick. I can't call, can't burn it for heat, can't jab poke or stab anyone with it and I can't roast marshmallows with it. Any pictures I take are unable to be sent anywhere until the wind blows 2G service my way.

Modern phones are useless as weapons because they're too lightweight to hurt anyone. 12 years ago when I graduated from high school, I got a Nokia 5165 for the low low price of $399 and paid $59.99 a month for 90 minutes and in town service was about the same as I have now. It had no camera, no internet and no music, but it did have Snake. It was used as a weapon more than once and was more useful in those instances than it ever was as a communication device, even with the email option. It was also dangerous as hell to me. Once the battery exploded and burned me pretty bad and I had to walk 3 miles to the hospital. First time I ever used it as a weapon was when I got attacked by a dog and I used it to bludgeon him into submission. Another time the local wannabe "gang" led by Justin Fick the hick that hung out at Wendys mistook me for a rival redneck and attacked me and my Nokia 5165 (with 4 .5" antenna extension, $39.99) suddenly flew out of my hand and bounced off the neck of the closest hick and sent them all running for cover. I still have what's left of that phone. The last time, I got caught between two Hmong gangs at FYE (a music store) and it became both a projectile and damage multiplier until the faceplate cracked and cut me. It probably still works pretty good as a weapon even without the 2 lb vibrating battery, which was a technical marvel in 2001. Coincidentally, I still have the rumble pak for my Nintendo 64 too. Either one is a good weapon. Maybe the OP should find a Nokia 5165 (a 5150 works well too) to stick in his pocket.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
What a shame the Hmong don't stick to their cultural traditions, like learning/preserving/performing Mor Lam (similar to Thai Issan Luktung) songs/dances and their traditional martial arts as well (so they don't become like sissified, lazy Americans).

Instead, they come to America and pick up sorry American crap such as becoming no-account street-trash gangster punks/bullies. Doubt that'd happen back in Laos.

I guess the same happens to Vietnamese & Cambodians who come here: Maybe the refugees from the Vietnam War era (and from Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge later on) were doing fine here, but their kids grow up to "rebel" against their parents -- and their own ethnic heritage/tradition -- and end up acting like too many stupid no-account (and so-called) "American" kids.

What a shame...

Last edited:

Sunshyne

Probably the same reason you put your gun on the outside of your clothing instead of inside.

Are you going to ask me why I take a .40 on a joy walk? It's...gasp...only 2mm shorter than the 10mm auto! I must be a dingbat!

You still haven't explained yourself, simply used personal attacks.

Maverick9

She does have one. I bought her a gun showed her how to shoot, bought her ammo, loaded her mags, made her a holster, and bought her a belt. She won't carry. The irony is she has scum bags trying crap all the time when she is by herself. People don't even say hi to me when I am alone, and I have only forgotten my gun 1 time in the last 10 years of carrying.

So I have to ask, why are you here asking about this when the failure is clearly with your wife and her inability to get with the program. You've answered your own question.

sudden valley gunner

What a shame the Hmong don't stick to their cultural traditions, like learning/preserving/performing Mor Lam (similar to Thai Issan Luktung) songs/dances and their traditional martial arts as well (so they don't become like sissified, lazy Americans).

Instead, they come to America and pick up sorry American crap such as becoming no-account street-trash gangster punks/bullies. Doubt that'd happen back in Laos.

I guess the same happens to Vietnamese & Cambodians who come here: Maybe the refugees from the Vietnam War era (and from Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge later on) were doing fine here, but their kids grow up to "rebel" against their parents -- and their own ethnic heritage/tradition -- and end up acting like too many stupid no-account (and so-called) "American" kids.

What a shame...

Maybe they are American kids? The color of their skin or the country of origin for their parents don't matter.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO
Situational Awareness can not be stressed enough. ...............
("Two is one, and one is none...").

In any case, glad you and yours are alright.

I treat my Sweet Baboo as my "principal" when we go out together. I am her bodyguard. This does not mean she is oblivious to the world around her, she is not. We work in tandem in an emergency and have discussed what each of us should do in an emergency. We still stay Semper Gumby because every situation is different.
In our case the "plan" is for me to deploy the weapon and she deploys the comms for 911. If she expects you to defend her, she needs to participate.
Still, you got away breathing, with no visible damage. A win, and a learning point.