Thread: Help with location

Help with location

Howdy, folks.
    I just moved into a new place in Havelock. The place is nice and from what I've gathered we have a few members here in town. My concern is that I live about 3/10 mile driving distance from a school.
    I know I can carry on my property but what about like the street and whatnot?
    If I'm out walking my dog or walking down to the store, would I have to be disarmed until I get past that 1000' radius?
    Also, since you can't have a firearm in the 1000' distance from a school, what happens if I'm walking down the street and I walk past a church that happens to have a school as a part of it (being born and raised in ND, I was really surprised when I learned how many churches had small schools attached)?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Having a concealed permit will exempt you from that law.
    http://smartgunlaws.org/federal-law-on-guns-in-schools/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Having a concealed permit will exempt you from that law.
    http://smartgunlaws.org/federal-law-on-guns-in-schools/
    But without a permit you cannot carry during any of the activities you mention while you are inside the 1000-foot victim disarmament zone. No walking the dog or strolling down to the store. Not even going across the street to borrow a power tool from your neighbor.

Unless - you are driving through the zone on the public roads. Which means that if you are being pulled over you want to get outside the zone before stopping so as to avoid setting yourself up if the cop orders you out of the vehicle (which he will do if you slow way down, turn on your 4-way flashers, and wait till you are in 'safe' territory.

And yes, NC does seem to have quite a few 3-room (elementary, middle & secondary grades) schools affiliated with churches. I think it comes from the way they make sauce for their bbq, or maybe because they cho the bbq into tiny little pieces.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I have to wait for about a year before I can get my CCW. I just moved in from off base and since i'm out of the Marines, I have to be here for a year to establish residency.

That doesn't sound right.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaryq View Post
    I have to wait for about a year before I can get my CCW. I just moved in from off base and since i'm out of the Marines, I have to be here for a year to establish residency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    That doesn't sound right.
    My search including the NC preemptive statute does not seem to define/control what the requirements are for establishing residency. Appears that individual sheriffs set there own standards.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    My search including the NC preemptive statute does not seem to define/control what the requirements are for establishing residency. Appears that individual sheriffs set there own standards.
    It's a sheriff thing

Correction: Re-Checked the website. I have my DD-214 and separations orders. I just need a class. Any good suggestions for Craven County CC courses?

so op you discerned from the craven county sheriffs site their residency requirement is one (1) month not the year you initially thought? excellent.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Yes. I just need the course work now.

Try one of these sites. CONCEAL HANDGUN PERMITS

For good local info, here are two people to contact via NCgunowners.com. " Gunny G." and "Opsman". Opsman lives in Havelock.

Residency requirements vary for PPP, but is standard for CHP (30 days).
    PPP: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...GS_14-404.html The website says 12 months for PPP.

CHP: Website states 1 month residence
    14-415.12. Criteria to qualify for the issuance of a permit.
    (a) The sheriff shall issue a permit to an applicant if the applicant qualifies under the following criteria:
    (1) The applicant is a citizen of the United States and has been a resident of the State 30 days or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application.
    Last edited by bc.cruiser; 07-24-2014 at 06:59 PM.