Thread: Open carrying in different states question

Question Open carrying in different states question

Hello All,

New member here. I have a question about open carrying in different sates. I live in Michigan and I have a CPL. If I travel to other states that allow open carry, can I open carry there or do I have to be a resident of that state to do so? I know different states honor conceal carry from different states but, I don't know about open carry.

Thanks for the help in advanced!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    N. Chesterfield, Va.
    Welcome to OCDO.

One must research and confirm the laws of each state - would you risk your freedom on what someone said on the internet?

That said, we do have cliff note style maps that will get you started:
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    In general, the law prohibits rather than allows. There is no requirement in Wisconsin law for state citizenship/residence to legally open carry. There are limitations on open carrying in Wisconsin, but not this one...

Wisconsin Statutes 947.01 Disorderly conduct. [ ... ] (2) Unless other facts and circumstances that indicate a criminal or malicious intent on the part of the person apply, a person is not in violation of, and may not be charged with a violation of, this section for loading, carrying, or going armed with a firearm, without regard to whether the firearm is loaded or is concealed or openly carried.
    If TRUMP 2016 loses then I will shrug off my WHITE MAN'S BURDEN and leave the world to the Dindus and Done Nuffins. Read and understand Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged as a prescription for the future. TRUMP 2016

NE Ohio
    Welcome to OCDO from the great state of Ohio.

Ohio is an open carry state and you do not need to be a resident to exercise that right. Your CPL solves one of the issues in Ohio (carrying a loaded handgun in the car) but as with other states you do need to be cautious of the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Campaign Veteran
    Colorado Springs, CO

I am not aware of ANY state that has OC -- at least those where it's UNpermittted OC (as it SHOULD be), that is -- that require one to be a resident in order to OC.

Just BE there.

For one example: When I lived in No-OC TX, as soon as I crossed the state line into NM -- as I did often to visit -- I went into "OC mode." Coming back into TX I did the reverse.

Same for AZ and AK...TMK. And here in CO for sure: Just be there!

What a hassle though, trying to keep all the laws straight! As well, the OC situation in the 50 states is highly DISCRMINATORY: An American citizen of one sate that has unpermitted ("free") OC can step into another state right next door that does NOT have it -- even though BOTH states are supposed to be part of the so-called Union and therefore supposedly part of the same "America" -- so we ALL, as Americans, should have the same rights. Especially the same Bill of Rights, which includes the 2nd Amendment/RKBA.

But we don't. Our "rights" depend on what state we live in.

Yet for years now, the sorry SCOTUS finds none of that blatant DISCRIMINATION practiced by certain states and UNequal application of the law of the land (the US Constitution) UNconstitutional!

What a useless group of black-robe-wearing people!

The cowardly SCOTUS deserves the disgust & disrespect it has so well & truly earned...
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 07-25-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    By far, this website is the best and most accurate resource I've found on reciprocity maps. That's best for navigating the CC landmine. The website also sports a number of good articles related to OC.

As for OC, it's much simpler: Just check OCDO's Maps section.
    The 1st protects the 2nd, and the 2nd protects the 1st. GET THIS OR LOSE IT ALLl: 27-2=0. Our 2A is THE bellwether, and ain't none finer: Islamic Reality. Our Founding Fathers on Church and State. PC=ZERO.