• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Empty holster

TN-40

I was with my wife at a Walmart in West Tn and seen two differant men walking around with empty holsters out in plain view.Got me thinking why would you want to walk around with a empty holster.my wife even chuckled about it.Seen a couple more people walking around open carrying.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Maybe that WalMart doesn't allow OC?

So possibly the guys left their guns in their cars since sometimes it's a hassle ALSO to take off the holster (it is in my case due to how I OC and what holster I use).

Otherwise, I'm also not sure why one would carry just an empty holster (no protest goin' on, like if it were Texas) so if said WalMart DOES allow OC, then it may be like the other poster said -- they're just newbies and trying to get comfortable OC-ing.

Or, BOTH their guns fell out and they didn't notice?

"Clean up in Aisle 6...Code 911"

;-)

Last edited:

Primus

Its the newest glock model. Need secret eye glasses to see them. They are .797544789 caliber model with cutting laser beam sights.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

b0neZ

Its the newest glock model. Need secret eye glasses to see them. They are .797544789 caliber model with cutting laser beam sights.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, I heard about those!

IIRC, those are the ones that can go through a scanner undetected, and can use the HS (Heat Seeking) ammo without blowing up, right?

I so want one of those. Glad to hear they're finally on the market.

idodishez

I often have an empty holster. If it's a GFZ, I leave my gun in the car or even at home. But my holster is almost always on me as it's easier to upholster than it is to REMOVE the holster. Also, I "dress" for a holster. So if I take my (IWB) holster off, my pants don't fit the same.

Basically, my holster keeps my pants up[emoji16]

"I miss America"

since9

Campaign Veteran
Or, BOTH their guns fell out and they didn't notice?

I once got up to pay my meal tab and discovered my firearm was missing! I dashed back to the seat, but not firearm. Checked the bathroom, but no firearm.

No. It couldn't be.

I headed to my truck and discovered my firearm laying there in the drivers' seat. Yep, it'd fallen out during the drive over, probably because the seat belt hit the thumb break.

That was a first! Hopefully the last, as I check to ensure it's holstered and secured each and every time I step out of my truck or get up from a seat.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Well, I guess if one's gun falls out of the holster in public, and then it's found by someone, we'd get GWAM calls to 911 (Gun Without A Man), rather than the MWAG as usual (Man With A Gun). ;-)

My gun has never fallen out of my holster, but my magazine has fallen out of the gun. Twice. And in public. But no one noticed, and I was there to retrieve it immediately. After the second time, it was safely taped in position -- I just need to change the tape every so often when it becomes a bit raggedy.

Regardless, every time I get up from sitting (such as @ a table in a restuarant, or getting out of my car), I check 2 things:

-- Has my holster's retention strap become unsnapped?

-- Is the magazine still fully seated in the gun?

Only takes a second to do, and even when walking for any length of time, I do the check. No need to LOOK down there, it's just a quick check by feel.

It's much like walking around with your katana: You check occasionally to be sure it's still in its saya! Am I the only one with that particular concern? ;-)

Anyway, it's good to check occasionally to make sure you really ARE (and still) carrying WHATEVER it is you started out carrying.

"Prudence is as prudence does." -- Forrest Gump

Last edited:

cjohnson44546

in TN they may not have carry permits, but are carrying in their cars in a holster since its legal to do now without a permit... so if thats the case, they have to leave the gun in their cars...

They may also be protesting the failure of the Open Carry with no permit law that was killed by underhanded politics without ever really getting a vote.

Last edited:

hafnhaf

In VA if you reach down to check that your gun is secure and the mag is still there, you could get arrested for brandishing if someone saw you and was scared.

TN-40

The walmart allows open carry,I have seen several people carrying open on several occasions.Just the first time seening a empty holster like that.I have nothing against open carry,I just prefer cc.You guys had some funny post in this thread.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
hafnhaf,

Well, I've done that probably hundreds of times in the year I've lived here so far (moved from no-OC Texas in July 2013)...and MANY people have seen me do it (adults/kids/families in the assorted IHOPs, Denny's, Village Inns, Home Depots, Lowes, Wells Fargos, supermarkets and other stores I frequent here in COS), but no one (I guess) was "scared" or even frightened. I've even done it in these same places with cops present at the next table -- they don't react, either.

Maybe it's HOW I do it, or how I carry myself, or maybe everyone thinks I am a LEO (except REAL LEOs). Maybe I should clip my 100% genuine Hawaii Five-0 badge (yes, really, as it was Jack Lord approved!) to my belt to complete that misunderstanding. Should be fun, yes? No?

But "brandishing?"

Seriously?

No way would that stand up in court whatsoever...even if it DID come to trial. Maybe in VA, but not here.

Welcome to the Great State of Colorado...

;-)

P.S. Some personal trivia:

1. I used to live in Fairfax, VA.

2. I use Half & Half in my morning espresso everyday (using an Italian espresso machine & Italian bean grinder).

Ciao, baby! ;-)

P.P.S. I SOMETIMES wear an empty holster, but rarely. If I go to a store that I'm not sure of their rules (meaning small Mom & Pop stores, as the owner is usually present, so it's more "personal" if you will) -- chain or big-box stores are different), the FIRST time I go in I leave the gun in the car, but they DO see my holster. If nothing is said, no nervous/negative reactions/body-language, the NEXT time I go in my gun goes, too. For example, I used that process at my local tailor shop.

On the occasional/rare days I have a VA Clinic doctor's appointment, however, I dare NOT wear the empty holster into the VA building (Federal property), as they probably would freak out, let alone assume the missing gun is in my car in their parking lot (also Federal property) -- and that'd be trouble for me. Big-time. Same for the pansies @ the US Post Office.

So...I choose to employ the "what they don't know won't hurt ME" policy, as most certainly I am NOT about to go UNarmed ALL DAY LONG just because of ONE place I need to stop at.

So far, so good. ;-)

Just like plans to live forever: So far, so good...

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
TN-40,

I don't want to start anything here (and mean no offence or criticism) but DO feel I should mention that most OC-ers here in Colorado ALSO have CC permits...we just choose to OC most/all the time. I don't use my CO permit HERE though, or in NM when I visit there (as NM also has no-permit OC), but MUST use it in backwards TX when I visit there...so my CO CC permit DOES come in handy...just not HERE in CO! ;-)

There are perhaps 8 -9 reasons or so for OC-ing (8-9 off the top o' my head, that is), but two MAJOR ones (besides the MAIN ONE: having a gun ON you for your PERSONAL DEFENSE, of course) are "D & E" -- meaning:

1. Desensitizing.
-- The public needs to see lots more guns out there being carried by decent citizens, not just LEOs (would say "military" also but they're UNarmed, by order of their pansy "leadership" all the way to the top, meaning our Pansy President). This way, the public sees (really, SEES) that "lots of guns are out there on the streets" but nothing bad happens! So they get more used to it by more exposure. Kind of like curing people of mental disorders/phobias (yes, including hoplophobia) through exposure to the very same thing they are IRRATIONALLY afraid of...except we OC-ers don't have to be shirnks or even have a license to practice medicine! Cool...

2. Educating.
-- Most of the COPS in OC states are probably up-to-speed by now (after a number of lawsuits to "educate" them) about their specific state's laws re: OC-ing and leave us alone now, but most people (in any given OC state) STILL don't even KNOW they can OC a firearm. If they DO know, they think it's ONLY with a permit (not so here in CO, NM, AZ and others). I am often asked about this and so I take the opportunity to correct & educate them. And encourage THEM to carry, also, even if they only want to CC. I want them at least to CARRY!

My point is, these 2 major reasons (goals or "benefits" as I see them) of OC-ing -- D&E -- are IMPOSSIBLE to accomplish by CC-ers, because by definition, no one SEES CC-ers carrying, so no conversations about carrying -- or the 2nd Amendment/RKBA in general -- can EVER take place.

A missed opportunity...and missed MANY times each day with all the CC-ers out & about (unlike the very few OCers out there).

IMO, we as "carriers" can NOT miss ANY opportunity to get the word out and hopefully, increase our numbers. Not to mention maybe saving someone's life (or their family's) in the future if they DO become CARRIERS (either CC or OC)!

As I said, I am not here (now) to debate or argue OC -- I see BOTH OC and CC as equals, at least one is CARRYING -- so I won't post further here in this thread on it. I'm just saying -- for your info if you haven't thought much about OC-ing -- that there ARE good & valid reasons we OC. The 2 cited above are major ones.

...and please, if you know other CC-ers, pass this along to them, also. We do not need to divide ourselves -- CC vs. OC -- on this issue. We need to stand together against our REAL enemies, yes?

I hope CC-ers will try to understand OC-ers a bit more/in depth.

And we need your help re: D&E as we need more OC-ers out there. Presently, we (OC-ers) just don't have the numbers to make any large/obvious impact, even though we try.

Remember:

"We're ALL in this together." -- Red Green ;-)

Regards...

Last edited:

solus

couple of weeks ago managed to walk around town while shopping for a couple of hours and a friend finally asked me...'why are you carrying your firearm w/o a magazine?' i looked and sure enough it was missing...then the panic set in...where the devil did i loose the blasted thing. fortunately, had one in my vehicle, reloaded and continued shopping with my chuckling & chortling friend in tow...

found the missing mag at home on my desk hiding under paperwork i was working on...

ipse

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
I know what you mean about the "panic" setting in.

Well, at least if my gun falls out, no one would ever know it's mine: Using the incredibly brilliant foresight I possess -- in case that "missing gun" scenario ever happened -- I filed the SN off it real good!

Yep...that should work...

;-)

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I know what you mean about the "panic" setting in.

Well, at least if my gun falls out, no one would ever know it's mine. Using the incredibly brilliant foresight I possess -- in case that "missing gun" scenario ever happened -- I filed the SN off it real good!

Yep, that should work...

;-)

Easier to just buy free market guns.

Javelina

How to leave your firearm in a vehicle (If this MUST be done)

When going out to dinner with a buddy of mine out here in AZ (He is a LEO), we went to an establishment that served alcohol. Being 19 and not having my CCW I was forced to leave my firearm in the vehicle. I was going to pull my firearm from my Blackhawk Serpa holster and simple lock it up in the glove box however after speaking with my buddy realized this is not the best strategy.

1. Completely remove any ammunition in the weapon - don't forget the one in the chamber! - This is in case someone does happen to break in and steal your firearm, you would not be providing them the ammo to do anything with the weapon.

2. If you have a gun lock in your vehicle then ring it through where the magazine would be and where the casing is discharged after fire. (Don't know the fancy terms for how to do it but anyone with a Glock and some common sense understands what I mean.) Then lock it to either your seat or the passenger seat. This is just another way of slowing down the process for your firearm being stolen if somebody is trying to get it. Also pull the floor mat over the firearm to take it out of plain view.

3. If there is no gun lock in your vehicle simply follow step 1 then place your weapon back in the holster. This prevents the trigger from being exposed giving you 0% chance of possibly squeezing it when reaching for the weapon to re-arm yourself. Then place the weapon in your glove box and lock the glove box.

I know its a hassle doing all this but it would be better going through all the hassle up front then looking down the barrel of your own firearm or getting shot with your own ammo :eek:

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...
2. If you have a gun lock in your vehicle then ring it through where the magazine would be and where the casing is discharged after fire. (Don't know the fancy terms for how to do it but anyone with a Glock and some common sense understands what I mean.)

Through the magazine well and out the ejection port.;)

This whole "CCW required to carry in a liquor establishment" thing is the one and ONLY reason I've seriously considered getting a CCW after reading up on OC.

OT: maybe the person was just engaging in a personal Empty Holster Protest?:confused:

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
When going out to dinner with a buddy of mine out here in AZ (He is a LEO), we went to an establishment that served alcohol. Being 19 and not having my CCW I was forced to leave my firearm in the vehicle. I was going to pull my firearm from my Blackhawk Serpa holster and simple lock it up in the glove box however after speaking with my buddy realized this is not the best strategy.

1. Completely remove any ammunition in the weapon - don't forget the one in the chamber! - This is in case someone does happen to break in and steal your firearm, you would not be providing them the ammo to do anything with the weapon.

2. If you have a gun lock in your vehicle then ring it through where the magazine would be and where the casing is discharged after fire. (Don't know the fancy terms for how to do it but anyone with a Glock and some common sense understands what I mean.) Then lock it to either your seat or the passenger seat. This is just another way of slowing down the process for your firearm being stolen if somebody is trying to get it. Also pull the floor mat over the firearm to take it out of plain view.

3. If there is no gun lock in your vehicle simply follow step 1 then place your weapon back in the holster. This prevents the trigger from being exposed giving you 0% chance of possibly squeezing it when reaching for the weapon to re-arm yourself. Then place the weapon in your glove box and lock the glove box.

I know its a hassle doing all this but it would be better going through all the hassle up front then looking down the barrel of your own firearm or getting shot with your own ammo :eek:

Sadly, administrative handling of your handgun just increases the number of opportunities for a negligent discharge. If you inist on leaving your handgun behind, invest the few bucks in some sort of "vault" that you can then cable-lock to a structural member.

If you took a look at my vehicle you would understand my reluctance to hide a handgun under the floor mat - even encased in a gun "vault".

Question - what do you suggest someone do with all the cartridges that they have just removed? Carry them in their pocket? Dump them in the cup holder?

Seriously, how many times does someone have their vehicle broken into and their handgun removed if the handgun is in some manner locked? (Except for locking it in the glove box - probably place #2 that a smash&grab theif looks.) Your level of paranoia is charming and amusing but probably not reasonable.

stay safe.