• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Empty holster

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Moderator...it was a joke, I wasn't REALLY insulting Javelina AT ALL. Note the EMOTICON to indicate so.

Just a play on words...lighten up.

Now if I were talking about 2 OCDO members from NC, then that'd different, but certainly not Javelina in AZ.

Javelina: If it was you who complained and got my post (above) deleted, I apologize...no offense meant. In fact, if it WAS you, and you WERE offended, I'll back up my apology with a gift card at some local IHOP, Denny's or whatever...PM me your mailing address and I'll buy you lunch.

Last edited:

Javelina

I've actually had to make an unscheduled or inconvenient stop at school, for my kids, parked just off school property and secured my firearm in my vehicle. One time, I had to go to the emergency room (hospital policy).

The Serpa Black Hawk holster can be a pain to remove. Removing it with the firearm in it would be more likely to have an unintentional discharge. I always remove the firearm, then the holster.

Once I've removed the firearm, I've met the requirements of the law, no need to go further and certainly no need to fight with my holster. ;o)

Interesting, for me it is simply undoing my belt and sliding off the holster with the firearm in it.

@Cloudcroft and for Cloudcroft: I didn't even get to see what was posted so that's funny seeing how you may have supposedly "offended" me lol. I've been working in the Security field for 2 years, will be transferring to Corrections prior to a career in Law Enforcement, trust me in my 2 years of Security alone I've heard worse stuff then whatever Cloudcroft put up. No matter what is was though I just want it to be known I'm not offended. I enjoy all of my fellow OC'ers and talk S**t with the rest of em' like they're just one of the guys.:cool:

jackrockblc

Interesting, for me it is simply undoing my belt and sliding off the holster with the firearm in it.

FallonJeeper may have been referring to the paddle version. I, too, have the Serpa from Blackhawk with my PPQ. I use the paddle version because it rests on my hip far better than the belt loop version. Probably because my belt was definitely NOT designed for holster carry - an issue I'm already working on addressing.

I am thinking of using my Dremel to remove the lower (paddle-side) hook to make it easier to remove. That still leaves the exterior hooks to grab the belt, if needed.

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Some holsters are a real hassle to "slide off" (at least easily) so on those days where I need to remove the gun (and don't want to carry an empty holsters, to let someone know there is a gun SOMEWHERE in your vicinity, even if back in the car) I switch to a different (secondary) gun & holster.

In my specific case, my primary carry gun (a medium-sized semi-auto) is in a leather pancake-type holster (wide & horizontally oriented, with belt loops at each far end) on my belt immediately left of my belt buckle (cross-draw with butt of gun it pretty much in front of my navel so I can grip it right-handed). To put said pancake holster on & off, I have to take the belt -- a very thick & stiff gun belt that fits the holster loops very tightly -- completely off. That's a hassle, but okay when at home as no one sees me messing with ("manipulating") said belt & gun. But out in the public doing that (like standing next to my car with people watching or driving by) isn't a good idea. So on THOSE days when I go somewhere that doesn't allow guns (like to the VA Clinic or USPS facility), I wear a smaller gun (small semi-auto) in a simple one-loop black nylon holster immediately to the right of my belt buckle (strong-side carry) that can EASILY be slipped on & off from the free end of the belt, even when seated inside a car.

True, the secondary gun isn't as "serious" as my primary gun, but it's still a gun, and serious enough. It's the gun I carry when I want to have a gun (and that's always, of course) but can't carry my larger primary gun (for whatever reason).

I'm still "well & completely dressed."

Fortunately, the days I have to go to the VA Clinic or USPS are very rare, so most times the primary gun holster stays on the belt.

Javelina: Thanks for your comments. If I am ever in AZ, will let you know! :)

Last edited:

Javelina

True

FallonJeeper may have been referring to the paddle version. I, too, have the Serpa from Blackhawk with my PPQ. I use the paddle version because it rests on my hip far better than the belt loop version. Probably because my belt was definitely NOT designed for holster carry - an issue I'm already working on addressing.

I am thinking of using my Dremel to remove the lower (paddle-side) hook to make it easier to remove. That still leaves the exterior hooks to grab the belt, if needed.

This is true, the paddle version skipped my mind for some reason, my apologies :eek:

FallonJeeper

Yes, paddle type with those darned hooks. It really is a secure rig, but I'm not fighting it, when, by law, I don't have to. I have no plans to alter the rig.

Nobody gets hurt or arrested. ;o)