Thread: The lone soldier: Americans travel from afar to defend the Israeli ally in democracy.

The lone soldier: Americans travel from afar to defend the Israeli ally in democracy.

Earlier this week, an estimated 20,000 Israelis gathered in Haifa for the funeral of a 21-year-old from South Padre Island, Texas, who had come to Israel, joined the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF), and died in fierce fighting in Gaza.

Sean Carmeli was what the Israelis call a “lone soldier.” A lone soldier is defined by the Israeli government as a young man or woman without parents or family in Israel who joins the army to help defend the Israeli state. There are several thousand lone soldiers serving in the Israeli army at any given time, and about 35 percent of them are from the United States. Carmeli and another lone soldier, 24-year-old Max Steinberg of Los Angeles, were among the early casualties in the current conflict with Hamas fighters on the Gaza Strip.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-lone-soldier/

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    What do we call them here?

Expatriate
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    What do we call them here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Expatriate
    When I wore a younger mans clothes, I enlisted in an Army in Africa for the same reasons. They called us mercenaries. We called ourselves, Soldiers.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Banned
    Ultimate Propaganda victim.