Thread: Completely fractured en banc 7th Circuit opinion on due process, $30 arrest fee

Completely fractured en banc 7th Circuit opinion on due process, $30 arrest fee

By Will Baude July 22 at 3:34 PM: For the past several months Iíve been kind of perplexed by a due process case pending in the 7th Circuit. The case was argued en banc last month, and it presents a question posing a tricky mix of substantive and procedural due process ó is it constitutional for a city to impose a $30 fee on everybody who is arrested and booked at the police station, at the time of booking?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v...gin_redirect=0

One may beat the rap but you will not beat the ride. Indeed, here no 'rap' is required.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    I like the ride !

But charging $$ for being arrested?

Its an act of war IMO.

Much ado about nothing, the city code was repealed....besides it was a $30 fee to be bailed/bonded out, not for being merely arrested, apparently. ILL-inois does not, according to the decision, permit private bail bondsmen.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare