Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this real? University to adjust grades based on race.

Is this real? University to adjust grades based on race.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/pr...anding-123680/

Writing in an op-ed for The John William Pope Center last Wednesday, Hansen called the language of the new policy, "education babble," and said both university staff and students have embraced it without question.

"Although much of the language is a thicket of clichés, no one dared challenge it. Moreover, there was no probing of the ramifications of the plan. Apparently, 'diversity' has become such a sacred cow that even tenured professors are afraid to question it in any way," wrote Lee.

Hansen later charged that the new policy urges race-based grading.

"Especially shocking is the language about 'equity' in the distribution of grades. Professors, instead of just awarding the grade that each student earns, would apparently have to adjust them so that academically weaker, 'historically underrepresented racial/ethnic' students perform at the same level and receive the same grades as academically stronger students," said Hansen.

Of the more than 42,000 students enrolled at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, minority students make up 13 percent of the student population, with Asians, at 5.3 percent, making up nearly half of that share, according to the school's website.

On Monday, professor Patrick Sims, chief diversity officer and interim vice provost for diversity and climate at UW-Madison, dismissed Hansen's claims in a statement posted on the UW-Madison website.

"The idea that UW-Madison will begin to base student grading or the make-up of programs or majors on race or ethnicity has circulated on the Internet in the wake of a recent opinion column by emeritus UW-Madison professor Lee Hansen. Allow me set the record straight: Nothing could be further from the truth," noted Sims.

"Regrettably, Hansen's assertion that the campus' most recent strategic diversity framework embraces a quota system for apportioning grades by race, is a gross misrepresentation of our current efforts," he added.
    There is more to the article.

If it is true then I believe it's a horrible thing.

If it is false then that professor should be charged with slander.

What are you thoughts?
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    "Race norming" has been going on for years in academia, the public service sector, and the military. It is not new at all. And it is VERY racist... as is affirmative action. In the end, the very people it tries to help are hurt the most because they are artificially propped up by their own failure to make the grade.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Affirmative REaction!

My underclass college experience was in a hippy-dippy experimental (Great Books) honors program inspired by Alexander Meiklejohn (UW-M Curriculum studies). At some point we were mandated to admit AA students, the first of which blew fingers off of his hand while building a device in our washroom

Meiklejohnian absolutism is the belief espoused by Alexander Meiklejohn, that the purpose of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution is to continue to keep the electorate informed, thereby creating self-governance.

Therefore, all speech, even criticizing the established government, is healthy to the life of democracy. In essence, this means that free speech must be protected not for those speaking, but for those who should hear what they are saying.

This term argues that the burden of proof is on the side of those opposing a liberal interpretation of the 1st Amendment, such as in the "clear and present danger" argument.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Meiklejohn
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-23-2014 at 07:49 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

My Asian girl friend is pissed at me for sharing that article and she is mad with me for believing it.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/race-norming
    race norming

noun
    The practice of adjusting scores on a standardized test by using separate curves for different racial groups.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    My Asian girl friend is pissed at me for sharing that article and she is mad with me for believing it. http://www.yourdictionary.com/race-norming
    It is older than race norming. See IQ as in The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life by Herrnstein and Murray 1994
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

my first experience with it was after the race riots in the air force and i had to deal with my fellow students of color receiving 'assistance' on their technical block test(s) while the white students didn't. both sat through the same boring course material yet ATC felt students of color required remedial instruction before the test? to this day i do not know if they were given the answers to the tests or not, but the perception still lingers 40 years later.

kinda jaded my young psyche a bit.

course here in the tarheel state the shake up is NCAA investigating numerous athletes of color taking courses and receiving grades, to maintain eligibility, in african american studies while the classes flat out didn't exist. they just judicially cleared the department chair in exchange for his 'cooperation' in the NCAA's on going investigation.

alive and well
    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

College administrations and faculty are overwhelmingly liberal, not much ya can do about it if it is occurring.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

which just proves the old adage..........

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    College administrations and faculty are overwhelmingly liberal, not much ya can do about it if it is occurring.
    "if you can, do it, if you can't, teach." The ivory tower is an unreal world.
    Last edited by RK3369; 07-23-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    It is older than race norming. See IQ as in The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life by Herrnstein and Murray 1994
    That's the first thing that came to mind.
    Unfriendly | Neutral | Friendly | OC Friendly

Rate the places you carry according to their 2A friendliness. Online or with free apps for iPhone and Android.

Proud sponsor of OpenCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    my first experience with it was after the race riots in the air force and i had to deal with my fellow students of color receiving 'assistance' on their technical block test(s) while the white students didn't. both sat through the same boring course material yet ATC felt students of color required remedial instruction before the test? to this day i do not know if they were given the answers to the tests or not, but the perception still lingers 40 years later.

kinda jaded my young psyche a bit.

course here in the tarheel state the shake up is NCAA investigating numerous athletes of color taking courses and receiving grades, to maintain eligibility, in african american studies while the classes flat out didn't exist. they just judicially cleared the department chair in exchange for his 'cooperation' in the NCAA's on going investigation.

alive and well
    ipse
    In my entire life as well as I can recall, I have only known three African-Americans... and one was white. The white one had a sister who had a little problem when she began college. Seems she marked her application as "African-American", which she was. When she presented herself in person, they wouldn't accept her application marked in this manner even though she was a real, a genuine African-American, not a pretend one.

So much for the open-minded claimants among us.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    This is part of the "dumbing down" process.

These people are given grades they have not earned making them less capable of doing jobs for which they are hired. When the employers find out they are unable to DO those jobs, they will not trust any graduate from that education institution. This will reflect on the institution's ability to obtain funding in the future as alumni, organizations, and businesses will be more reluctant to contribute.
    And this is how it should be. Punishment through the market when the government invents programs that are not only doomed to failure, but racist to the core.

America First!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    "Race norming" has been going on for years in academia, the public service sector, and the military. It is not new at all. And it is VERY racist... as is affirmative action. In the end, the very people it tries to help are hurt the most because they are artificially propped up by their own failure to make the grade.
    +1

At one time Irish were considered low IQ, they now are higher than average (If I remember correctly). Did their genetics change? Nope, Nobody coddled them or lowered the standards in an anglo dominated society. You are exactly right, changing the standards to help some does way more damage than good. Thomas Sowell and Walter E. Williams have both written great pieces on this subject.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 07-23-2014 at 06:11 PM.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    +1

At one time Irish were considered low IQ, they now are higher than average (If I remember correctly). Did their genetics change? Nope, Nobody coddled them or lowered the standards in an anglo dominated society. You are exactly right, changing the standards to help some does way more damage than good. Thomas Sowell and Walter E. Williams have both written great pieces on this subject.
    Two of my contemporary heroes and I had the pleasure of talking to Dr. Sowell back in the mid 90's. One of Thomas Sowell's best books was "The Vision of the Anointed". Two truly great men.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 07-24-2014 at 08:08 AM.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Two of my contemporary heroes and I had the pleasure of talking to Dr. Sowell back in the mid 90's. One of Thomas Sowell's best books was "The Vision of the Anointed". Two truly great men.
    +1 That is awesome!

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    +1 That is awesome!
    Yes it was. I talked to him on the G. Gordon Liddy show in the spring of '95 and then about five months later, heard it replayed with my wife when Liddy was on vacation.

America First!

Centurion
    Determining a "grade" using anything other that a single standard equally applied to all students in a fair and UNBIASED action turns the resultant GPA to nothing more than a "PARTICIPATION AWARD"!!!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Determining a "grade" using anything other that a single standard equally applied to all students in a fair and UNBIASED action turns the resultant GPA to nothing more than a "PARTICIPATION AWARD"!!!
    It will also bias companies against the 'protected races'.

+1
    Like there is no loosers in the way some run their little league games.

Sounds just like Affirmative Action... whats wrong with that?

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    Sounds just like Affirmative Action... whats wrong with that?
    To answer what I HOPE is a rhetorical question ----

Special or Preferencial treatment of any individual, group, gender, race, or creed to the detriment of those NOT getting the "preferencial" treatment is WRONG on its face and patently UNFAIR. It is a violation of one of our core tenents of our form of government--- that of EQUAL PROTECTION UNDER THE LAW!

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. got it right in his "I have a dream speach" in August 1963. I share his dream of living in a land where a person is "judged by the content of his character and not the color of his skin", or gender, race, creed, religions, sexual preference, or even EMPLOYMENT (special treatment of LEO, MILITARY), and "undocumented" aliens.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Special or Preferencial treatment of any individual, group, gender, race, or creed to the detriment of those NOT getting the "preferencial" treatment is WRONG on its face and patently UNFAIR. It is a violation of one of our core tenents of our form of government--- that of EQUAL PROTECTION UNDER THE LAW!

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. got it right in his "I have a dream speach" in August 1963. I share his dream of living in a land where a person is "judged by the content of his character and not the color of his skin", or gender, race, creed, religions, sexual preference, or even EMPLOYMENT (special treatment of LEO, MILITARY), and "undocumented" aliens.
    of course... the question had a bit of sarcasm associated with it... not just rhetorical :-) I should have put a by it.

Affirmative Action is trying to fix racism by using racism... flawed concept.

speaking of rhetorical...did you just take horrible poetic license w/King's speech and attach inaccurate attributions since i do not remember the comments you stated: quote '...or gender, race, creed, religions, sexual preference, or even EMPLOYMENT (special treatment of LEO, MILITARY), and "undocumented" aliens.' unquote being part of his speech?

which brings me to the crux of my post, you feel military is given special treatment within the employment arena? could you elaborate on what special employment treatment is afforded the military as i am sure those who have served would enjoy reading about your perception(s)?

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    speaking of rhetorical...did you just take horrible poetic license w/King's speech and attach inaccurate attributions since i do not remember the comments you stated: quote '...or gender, race, creed, religions, sexual preference, or even EMPLOYMENT (special treatment of LEO, MILITARY), and "undocumented" aliens.' unquote being part of his speech?

which brings me to the crux of my post, you feel military is given special treatment within the employment arena? could you elaborate on what special employment treatment is afforded the military as i am sure those who have served would enjoy reading about your perception(s)?

ipse
    The way I see it he quoted King and then added the other things he would ad to it.

Yes they are. HVRP for example. I think his post was to condemn the special treatment military and cops receive in many areas not just employment, the wording does make it hard to tell though.

Centurion
    Svg is correct as to his interpretation of my remarks.
    And not limiting my condemnation to military or LEO ONLY. Any subtotal of the whole being granted special privileges not available to the whole is wrong and unfair! It is NOT equal protection under the Law!
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 07-28-2014 at 01:26 AM.

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA

Banned
    Q: can a test be such so that it favors a particular group?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast