• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this real? University to adjust grades based on race.

Freedom1Man

http://www.christianpost.com/news/p...ut-school-says-its-a-misunderstanding-123680/

Writing in an op-ed for The John William Pope Center last Wednesday, Hansen called the language of the new policy, "education babble," and said both university staff and students have embraced it without question.

"Although much of the language is a thicket of clichés, no one dared challenge it. Moreover, there was no probing of the ramifications of the plan. Apparently, 'diversity' has become such a sacred cow that even tenured professors are afraid to question it in any way," wrote Lee.

Hansen later charged that the new policy urges race-based grading.

"Especially shocking is the language about 'equity' in the distribution of grades. Professors, instead of just awarding the grade that each student earns, would apparently have to adjust them so that academically weaker, 'historically underrepresented racial/ethnic' students perform at the same level and receive the same grades as academically stronger students," said Hansen.

Of the more than 42,000 students enrolled at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, minority students make up 13 percent of the student population, with Asians, at 5.3 percent, making up nearly half of that share, according to the school's website.

On Monday, professor Patrick Sims, chief diversity officer and interim vice provost for diversity and climate at UW-Madison, dismissed Hansen's claims in a statement posted on the UW-Madison website.

"The idea that UW-Madison will begin to base student grading or the make-up of programs or majors on race or ethnicity has circulated on the Internet in the wake of a recent opinion column by emeritus UW-Madison professor Lee Hansen. Allow me set the record straight: Nothing could be further from the truth," noted Sims.

"Regrettably, Hansen's assertion that the campus' most recent strategic diversity framework embraces a quota system for apportioning grades by race, is a gross misrepresentation of our current efforts," he added.

There is more to the article.

If it is true then I believe it's a horrible thing.

If it is false then that professor should be charged with slander.

What are you thoughts?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
"Race norming" has been going on for years in academia, the public service sector, and the military. It is not new at all. And it is VERY racist... as is affirmative action. In the end, the very people it tries to help are hurt the most because they are artificially propped up by their own failure to make the grade.

solus

my first experience with it was after the race riots in the air force and i had to deal with my fellow students of color receiving 'assistance' on their technical block test(s) while the white students didn't. both sat through the same boring course material yet ATC felt students of color required remedial instruction before the test? to this day i do not know if they were given the answers to the tests or not, but the perception still lingers 40 years later.

kinda jaded my young psyche a bit.

course here in the tarheel state the shake up is NCAA investigating numerous athletes of color taking courses and receiving grades, to maintain eligibility, in african american studies while the classes flat out didn't exist. they just judicially cleared the department chair in exchange for his 'cooperation' in the NCAA's on going investigation.

alive and well
ipse

RK3369

which just proves the old adage..........

College administrations and faculty are overwhelmingly liberal, not much ya can do about it if it is occurring.

"if you can, do it, if you can't, teach." The ivory tower is an unreal world.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

my first experience with it was after the race riots in the air force and i had to deal with my fellow students of color receiving 'assistance' on their technical block test(s) while the white students didn't. both sat through the same boring course material yet ATC felt students of color required remedial instruction before the test? to this day i do not know if they were given the answers to the tests or not, but the perception still lingers 40 years later.

kinda jaded my young psyche a bit.

course here in the tarheel state the shake up is NCAA investigating numerous athletes of color taking courses and receiving grades, to maintain eligibility, in african american studies while the classes flat out didn't exist. they just judicially cleared the department chair in exchange for his 'cooperation' in the NCAA's on going investigation.

alive and well
ipse

In my entire life as well as I can recall, I have only known three African-Americans... and one was white. The white one had a sister who had a little problem when she began college. Seems she marked her application as "African-American", which she was. When she presented herself in person, they wouldn't accept her application marked in this manner even though she was a real, a genuine African-American, not a pretend one.

So much for the open-minded claimants among us.

SouthernBoy

This is part of the "dumbing down" process.

These people are given grades they have not earned making them less capable of doing jobs for which they are hired. When the employers find out they are unable to DO those jobs, they will not trust any graduate from that education institution. This will reflect on the institution's ability to obtain funding in the future as alumni, organizations, and businesses will be more reluctant to contribute.

And this is how it should be. Punishment through the market when the government invents programs that are not only doomed to failure, but racist to the core.

sudden valley gunner

"Race norming" has been going on for years in academia, the public service sector, and the military. It is not new at all. And it is VERY racist... as is affirmative action. In the end, the very people it tries to help are hurt the most because they are artificially propped up by their own failure to make the grade.

+1

At one time Irish were considered low IQ, they now are higher than average (If I remember correctly). Did their genetics change? Nope, Nobody coddled them or lowered the standards in an anglo dominated society. You are exactly right, changing the standards to help some does way more damage than good. Thomas Sowell and Walter E. Williams have both written great pieces on this subject.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

+1

At one time Irish were considered low IQ, they now are higher than average (If I remember correctly). Did their genetics change? Nope, Nobody coddled them or lowered the standards in an anglo dominated society. You are exactly right, changing the standards to help some does way more damage than good. Thomas Sowell and Walter E. Williams have both written great pieces on this subject.

Two of my contemporary heroes and I had the pleasure of talking to Dr. Sowell back in the mid 90's. One of Thomas Sowell's best books was "The Vision of the Anointed". Two truly great men.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Determining a "grade" using anything other that a single standard equally applied to all students in a fair and UNBIASED action turns the resultant GPA to nothing more than a "PARTICIPATION AWARD"!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

sudden valley gunner

Determining a "grade" using anything other that a single standard equally applied to all students in a fair and UNBIASED action turns the resultant GPA to nothing more than a "PARTICIPATION AWARD"!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

+1
Like there is no loosers in the way some run their little league games.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Sounds just like Affirmative Action... whats wrong with that?

To answer what I HOPE is a rhetorical question ----

Special or Preferencial treatment of any individual, group, gender, race, or creed to the detriment of those NOT getting the "preferencial" treatment is WRONG on its face and patently UNFAIR. It is a violation of one of our core tenents of our form of government--- that of EQUAL PROTECTION UNDER THE LAW!

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. got it right in his "I have a dream speach" in August 1963. I share his dream of living in a land where a person is "judged by the content of his character and not the color of his skin", or gender, race, creed, religions, sexual preference, or even EMPLOYMENT (special treatment of LEO, MILITARY), and "undocumented" aliens.

cjohnson44546

Special or Preferencial treatment of any individual, group, gender, race, or creed to the detriment of those NOT getting the "preferencial" treatment is WRONG on its face and patently UNFAIR. It is a violation of one of our core tenents of our form of government--- that of EQUAL PROTECTION UNDER THE LAW!

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. got it right in his "I have a dream speach" in August 1963. I share his dream of living in a land where a person is "judged by the content of his character and not the color of his skin", or gender, race, creed, religions, sexual preference, or even EMPLOYMENT (special treatment of LEO, MILITARY), and "undocumented" aliens.
of course... the question had a bit of sarcasm associated with it... not just rhetorical :) I should have put a :rolleyes: by it.

Affirmative Action is trying to fix racism by using racism... flawed concept.

solus

speaking of rhetorical...did you just take horrible poetic license w/King's speech and attach inaccurate attributions since i do not remember the comments you stated: quote '...or gender, race, creed, religions, sexual preference, or even EMPLOYMENT (special treatment of LEO, MILITARY), and "undocumented" aliens.' unquote being part of his speech?

which brings me to the crux of my post, you feel military is given special treatment within the employment arena? could you elaborate on what special employment treatment is afforded the military as i am sure those who have served would enjoy reading about your perception(s)?

ipse