Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Militarization of Police

Militarization of Police

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/...tcmp=obnetwork

I want the police to be better armed than the bad guys, but what exactly does that mean today?

Apparently it means the Pentagon and Department of Homeland Security equip even the tiniest rural police departments with massive military vehicles, body armor and grenade launchers. The equipment is surplus from the long wars we fought in Iraq and Afghanistan.

To a hammer, everything resembles a nail. SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactics) teams were once used only in emergencies such as riots or robberies where hostages were taken. But today there are more than 50,000 "no-knock raids" a year.
    I found this to be an interesting article, especially since I just saw another thread that was talking the use of such things after Katrina, Boston Marathon Bombing, etc.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    They have become the standing army the "founders" warned us about.

Its a touchy subject but the 2A is an enumeration of our right to be just as armed and to resist them.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    They have become the standing army the "founders" warned us about.

Its a touchy subject but the 2A is an enumeration of our right to be just as armed and to resist them.
    Agreed.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

It is unusual, and suspicious, that a lamestream media talking-head misses the opportunity to promote a neologism, particularly in this case a neologism so on-point as paramilitarization. A brief repair to a dictionary belies the militarization of the police.

Much has been written about the paramilitarization of the police.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    It is unusual, and suspicious, that a lamestream media talking-head misses the opportunity to promote a neologism, particularly in this case a neologism so on-point as paramilitarization. A brief repair to a dictionary belies the militarization of the police.

Much has been written about the paramilitarization of the police.
    Just read a book Junk English, you might enjoy. I didn't realize what a chronic abuser of English I am, hard habit to break, especially when I was never taught better.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Militarization of police

John Stossel hits the mark again. I hope this wasn't posted already, I didn't find it and thought it was worth a read.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/...ilitarization/

What's the big deal? As long as we are good little consumers we have nothing to fear from our benevolent overlords. Our purpose is to buy the products that increase a company's profit margin, without looking too closely at the amount that product has been marked up, or what those profits are spent on. And to provide the taxes that pay those that have been ordained to rule us.

If we do as we're told everything will be nice and cushy. Raise your voice, rattle the bars on the cage, or even look the police in the eye, and things might get very uncomfortable for you.

I found out today it's possible to get arrested for "civil disobedience." Disobeying our rulers is illegal.

A website you might find interesting is John Whitehead's The Rutherford Institute.
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

I was a captive audience recently while someone was watching Bill Maher. I'd never actually had to sit through a few minutes of him before.

I got lucky. He addressed the militarization of police and mostly nailed it. I found the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVywCqvmC0E
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I had posted this exact article with the exact same thread title in the social lounge a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    I had posted this exact article with the exact same thread title in the social lounge a few days ago.
    I thought that might be the case, but I came across the article today and thought it was worth posting. I didn't see it or remember your post so here it is again.

OCDO has its own internal search script/function http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/search.php

And external site searches work
    Code:
    keyword site: forum.opencarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    OCDO has its own internal search script/function http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/search.php

And external site searches work
    Code:
    keyword site: forum.opencarry.org
    I searched for Stossel on this site and didn't see it. I admit that I was being lazy and didn't put much effort forth.

This might be the URL of a page of stossel threads going back to at least 2008, the oldest that I noticed. Stossel isn't a very determinative search, juust a little better than "open carry."

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/se...archid=2097801

I love stossel.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    I love stossel.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Me too. Only thing on Fox I purposely watch any more.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

...if there is any doubt in your mind, I respectfully refer you to that famous...err, infamous, photo from the Boston Constitution Suspension Event.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    ...if there is any doubt in your mind, I respectfully refer you to that famous...err, infamous, photo from the Boston Constitution Suspension Event.

Don't forget the INS agent pointing his rifle at Elliot Gonzales' face while he and his mother cower in the closet. They were so proud of that one they just had to show the whole world. Oldie but goodie.

Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    Don't forget the INS agent pointing his rifle at Elliot Gonzales' face while he and his mother cower in the closet. They were so proud of that one they just had to show the whole world. Oldie but goodie.
    Elián González.
    Synopsis:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...onzález_affair
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/12/fa...ce-helicopter/

These dudes do not look like cops.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I am sure they took oaths to the constitution too........

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I am sure they took oaths to the constitution too........
    North Korea has a constitution too.

Indeed, a living breathing constitution that is regularly revised. Proposed in 1972, amended in 1992, 2009 and 2012.

Here is the Original 1972 https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Const...ES_OF_CITIZENS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consti...of_North_Korea

You know what's ironic? I think there's now a more compelling reason than ever to decriminalize substances, and that's to cut WAY back on the arming up of police and the way they use the war on drugs to run over rights and privacy, breaking down doors, shooting pets, killing innocents, shooting up the wrong household.

It's not really about the substances, it's about cutting back on the number of cops, the over-entitlement of cops, the rampages and drug use on the part of the cops as they strive to become super-cops and rambos and just plain crazy.

If the armed FedGov troops were all incorporated under Department of Homeland Severity so that we could see an accurate census of their numbers and capabilities, the American public and the world would be appalled. On information and belief, there are over one million armed internal federal police agents.

LOL....yes they do.

I just find it humorous and sad how those who take an oath to the US constitution then work very hard against it. Our local county Oathkeepers have some great examples of that type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast