• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Militarization of Police

Aknazer

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014...-worry-about-militarization/?intcmp=obnetwork

I want the police to be better armed than the bad guys, but what exactly does that mean today?

Apparently it means the Pentagon and Department of Homeland Security equip even the tiniest rural police departments with massive military vehicles, body armor and grenade launchers. The equipment is surplus from the long wars we fought in Iraq and Afghanistan.

To a hammer, everything resembles a nail. SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactics) teams were once used only in emergencies such as riots or robberies where hostages were taken. But today there are more than 50,000 "no-knock raids" a year.

I found this to be an interesting article, especially since I just saw another thread that was talking the use of such things after Katrina, Boston Marathon Bombing, etc.

sudden valley gunner

They have become the standing army the "founders" warned us about.

Its a touchy subject but the 2A is an enumeration of our right to be just as armed and to resist them.

sudden valley gunner

It is unusual, and suspicious, that a lamestream media talking-head misses the opportunity to promote a neologism, particularly in this case a neologism so on-point as paramilitarization. A brief repair to a dictionary belies the militarization of the police.

Much has been written about the paramilitarization of the police.

Just read a book Junk English, you might enjoy. I didn't realize what a chronic abuser of English I am, hard habit to break, especially when I was never taught better.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
What's the big deal? As long as we are good little consumers we have nothing to fear from our benevolent overlords. Our purpose is to buy the products that increase a company's profit margin, without looking too closely at the amount that product has been marked up, or what those profits are spent on. And to provide the taxes that pay those that have been ordained to rule us.

If we do as we're told everything will be nice and cushy. Raise your voice, rattle the bars on the cage, or even look the police in the eye, and things might get very uncomfortable for you.

I found out today it's possible to get arrested for "civil disobedience." Disobeying our rulers is illegal.

A website you might find interesting is John Whitehead's The Rutherford Institute.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I was a captive audience recently while someone was watching Bill Maher. I'd never actually had to sit through a few minutes of him before.

I got lucky. He addressed the militarization of police and mostly nailed it. I found the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVywCqvmC0E

Aknazer

I had posted this exact article with the exact same thread title in the social lounge a few days ago.

OC Freedom

I had posted this exact article with the exact same thread title in the social lounge a few days ago.

I thought that might be the case, but I came across the article today and thought it was worth posting. I didn't see it or remember your post so here it is again.

OC for ME

...if there is any doubt in your mind, I respectfully refer you to that famous...err, infamous, photo from the Boston Constitution Suspension Event.

wimwag

...if there is any doubt in your mind, I respectfully refer you to that famous...err, infamous, photo from the Boston Constitution Suspension Event.

Don't forget the INS agent pointing his rifle at Elliot Gonzales' face while he and his mother cower in the closet. They were so proud of that one they just had to show the whole world. Oldie but goodie.

Maverick9

You know what's ironic? I think there's now a more compelling reason than ever to decriminalize substances, and that's to cut WAY back on the arming up of police and the way they use the war on drugs to run over rights and privacy, breaking down doors, shooting pets, killing innocents, shooting up the wrong household.

It's not really about the substances, it's about cutting back on the number of cops, the over-entitlement of cops, the rampages and drug use on the part of the cops as they strive to become super-cops and rambos and just plain crazy.