• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Militarization of Police

solus

LOL....yes they do.

I just find it humorous and sad how those who take an oath to the US constitution then work very hard against it. Our local county Oathkeepers have some great examples of that type.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/ByChapter/Chapter_11.pdf:

Sheriff
I, A. B., do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will execute the office of sheriff of __ county
to the best of my knowledge and ability, agreeably to law; and that I will not take, accept or
receive, directly or indirectly, any fee, gift, bribe, gratuity or reward whatsoever, for returning
any man to serve as a juror or for making any false return on any process to me directed; so
help me, God.

Law Enforcement Officer
I, A. B., do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will be alert and vigilant to enforce the
criminal laws of this State; that I will not be influenced in any matter on account of personal
bias or prejudice; that I will faithfully and impartially execute the duties of my office as a law
enforcement officer according to the best of my skill, abilities, and judgment; so help me, God.

these individuals do not have an oath to uphold to the US or state constitution. i personally just find it sad.

ipse

Last edited:

OC for ME

Pentagon fueled Ferguson confrontation: Column

The Pentagon might not have boots on the ground in Ferguson, Mo., where 18-year-old Michael Brown was shot by police on Saturday, but it does have wheels on the street.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...michael-brown-militarization-column/14006383/

Militarized cops on display in Ferguson riots

The developing violence in Ferguson, Missouri, where throngs have been rioting for several days over the shooting death by a police officer of an 18-year-old high school graduate, has put on display the country’s increasingly militarized local police force, according to the author of “Police State USA: How Orwell’s Nightmare is Becoming Our Reality.”

http://www.wnd.com/2014/08/militarized-cops-on-display-in-ferguson-riots/
More evidence on display.

sudden valley gunner

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/ByChapter/Chapter_11.pdf:

Sheriff
I, A. B., do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will execute the office of sheriff of __ county
to the best of my knowledge and ability, agreeably to law; and that I will not take, accept or
receive, directly or indirectly, any fee, gift, bribe, gratuity or reward whatsoever, for returning
any man to serve as a juror or for making any false return on any process to me directed; so
help me, God.

Law Enforcement Officer
I, A. B., do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will be alert and vigilant to enforce the
criminal laws of this State; that I will not be influenced in any matter on account of personal
bias or prejudice; that I will faithfully and impartially execute the duties of my office as a law
enforcement officer according to the best of my skill, abilities, and judgment; so help me, God.

these individuals do not have an oath to uphold to the US or state constitution. i personally just find it sad.

ipse

There's a group of ex military and cops who are called OathKeepers, there are many who are not even in this group who claim to support and have taken an oath to the constitution, their actions prove their words false.

OC for ME

Rand Paul: We Must Demilitarize the Police

If I had been told to get out of the street as a teenager, there would have been a distinct possibility that I might have smarted off. But, I wouldn’t have expected to be shot.

The outrage in Ferguson is understandable—though there is never an excuse for rioting or looting. There is a legitimate role for the police to keep the peace, but there should be a difference between a police response and a military response.
Then towards the bottom of the article.
Americans must never sacrifice their liberty for an illusive and dangerous, or false, security. This has been a cause I have championed for years, and one that is at a near-crisis point in our country.

http://time.com/3111474/rand-paul-ferguson-police/
It is unfortunate that cops are being portrayed as warriors vs. peace officers. It is also unfortunate that cops enable and perpetuate this portrayal.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I have been following this case for a while. This is part of the police officer's testimony from an evidentiary hearing.

Prosecution's direct examination of police officer:
A. I --we --we began discussing a sign that was posted on the outside of Kroger, it had a firearm with a circle and a line through it, saying no firearm in the business. Mr. XXXXX wanted to see that sign, at which point, he began walking to the front of the store. We walked out to where he could see the
sign, Mr. XXXXX continued to argue over whether or not he was allowed to be in there and basically saying that, you know, he was allowed in the store. After a brief discussion with security, they wanted to prosecute, so Mr. XXXXX was arrested for criminal trespass.

Q. Thank you. So not only had the security guard told him that he was no longer allowed in the store, but there was a sign posted that he was not allowed in the store if he was going to be carrying a weapon; is that correct?

A. Correct.

Q. okay. And you placed him under arrest towards the front of the store then?

A. Yes.

Q. Near that sign?

A. Yes, still on Kroger property.
Defendant's attorney's cross examination of police officer:
Q. In that discussion did you discuss a sign?

A. Discuss a sign?

Q. A sign?

A. I'm not sure what you're talking about, a sign.

Q. In your testimony earlier you said that there was --there was a question about a sign in the store. Did you discuss that sign?

A. The sign at the front of the store?

Q. Yes.

A. The firearm with the circle and the line through it?

Q. Yes.

Q. Could you look at these two pictures? Is that the picture of the sign that was in the store that we were discussing?

A. It's possible, I believe the sign that I'm recalling I think had the picture of a gun with a circle with a line through it. I mean, that's my recollection of it, it could be this sign.
The picture did not show “a sign with a firearm with a circle and a line through it”. The pictures showed the proverbial liquor warning sign – wine tasting.

So, the officer emphatically testified that there was “a sign with a firearm with a circle and a line through it” to “I mean, that's my recollection of it,”.

This was just one of the inconsistencies the officer made.

This case is still pending.

It's amazing how cops remember in great detail all the facts of the case until cross examined, then they are not so sure of their facts.

A cop taking any oath is just a formality. It carries no force and effect of law.

Last edited: