Thread: Despite rhetoric, gun prosecutions plummet under Obama Policy shift drives decline

Despite rhetoric, gun prosecutions plummet under Obama Policy shift drives decline

“We have this irony. The Obama administration, which is asking for more in the way of gun regulations — in terms of increased background checks for private sales and at gun shows — is actually prosecuting less of the gun laws already on the books,” said Robert Cottrol, a gun control historian at George Washington University. “For a lot of people, there’s more ideological cache harassing Bubba at the gun show than getting a handle on gun crime.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...mmet-under-ob/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-23-2014 at 09:24 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Question Questions, questions, questions....

I just finished looking at that graph (in a Washington Times email I received this morning), and - at least in my mind - it tells us nothing about the possible reason(s) for the decline, which raises several questions. My initial reaction was, "This doesn't make any sense... Obama is a rabid anti-gun believer." And then the questions began...
    1. What were the statistics based upon, and why did they drop so noticeably?
    1a. The stats were taken from information available from the "Executive Office of U.S. Attorneys", which is a function of the DOJ.
    2. Why would the DOJ make public any information of a type that would seem to imply that one of their bureaus is not doing it's job properly? As Alice said, "Curiouser and curiouser!" (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English).
    2a. Could it be because illegal gun purchases and gun transfers of other kinds have declined? It may be that those who are legally restricted from buying/possessing firearms have discovered new and creative ways to fool the ATF. I find it possible, but doubtful, that 'black marketeers' have reduced their sales of firearms. I say "doubtful" because those involved in the black market have enjoyed a lucrative return on investment for centuries. Money is THE great motivator for those who deal in the shadows, and they maintain a relatively 'exclusive clientele' in order to insulate themselves (and their illegal activities) from LE intervention. I find it more likely that, after a slight spike in 2012 during Operation F&F, the reduction came as the result of the chilling effect created by the public disclosure of the debacle the DOJ called 'Operation Fast & Furious'.
    3. Could it be that by reducing the prosecutions, the Obama administration is hoping for a spike in gun violence, which would justify his push for more Draconian gun laws? In my mind, knowing a bit about the unusual and oblique thought processes of politicians, this is a distinct possibility.

I'm certain there are many more possibilities, but right now I can't come up with them. I submit this as food for thought, not as the ONLY possible reasoning behind the decline. I'm certain somebody in our group can provide other possibilities, and I hope you will do so. Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Not for nothing.... But its been declining steadily since before he came into office and continues to. Showing maybe a larger trend that has nothing to do with him or his "policies".

Also isn't this a GOOD thing? Why are we looking for conspiracies?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Not for nothing.... But its been declining steadily since before he came into office and continues to. Showing maybe a larger trend that has nothing to do with him or his "policies".

Also isn't this a GOOD thing? Why are we looking for conspiracies?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    And what "trend" might that be? The graph does not portray a reduction in crime, just in prosecution of those making false statements in order to access firearms.

Is it a "good thing"? That depends on the WHY behind the decline. It IS a good thing - at least administratively - if there has been a concurrent reduction in false applications, or other valid legal reasons for ATF to prosecute. It is NOT a good thing if the ATF is simply not doing what our tax dollars are paying them to do.

Any "conspiracy" search does not exist on my part. I noted inconsistencies which raised a couple of questions in my mind. When inconsistencies raise questions, one generally looks for answers. In the political arena, the rationale behind actions are (more often than not) intentionally obscured, making it quite difficult to get to the truth behind those actions. Questions do not equate to "conspiracies" - many questions are asked only to provoke thought and garner the input of others. Not all who question the actions of the Usurper-In-Chief, subscribe to a "conspiracy theory". Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Banned
    But really, what does that mean to our gun rights (crime up or down?)...nothing.

Sshhh... Let the Dems believe he's actually doing something...
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    But really, what does that mean to our gun rights (crime up or down?)...nothing.
    Surely you've seen the stats that indicate as more hanguns are sold to individuals, there is an "equal and opposite reaction" in crime? Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!