• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Massachusetts police chiefs rally for right to control long-gun permits

OC for ME

“Our position is really very, very simple,” said Wayne Sampson, executive director of the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association. “We, as an association, believe that it’s unconscionable that if we determine a person is unsuitable to carry a handgun, that they can then turn around and apply for a Firearms Identification Card, which allows them, by law, to purchase rifles and shotguns. And there’s no way we can impose any restrictions on that. It just doesn’t make sense.”

“Massachusetts police chiefs have had discretionary ability [to issue handgun permits] for decades here and the system has been pretty widely abused as far as suitability goes because it’s left up to the chief to decide,” said Jim Wallace, executive director of the Gun Owners’ Action League. “Some chiefs say they just don’t hand out those licenses, or some are granted for target and hunting purposes only.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...tes-at-odds-over-discretion-in-massachusetts/
Is MA shall issue or may issue? Seems to be may issue. Also, a FID? Are firearms registered?

The "birthplace of this nation" has long ceased to respect liberty.

Primus

Is MA shall issue or may issue? Seems to be may issue. Also, a FID? Are firearms registered?

The "birthplace of this nation" has long ceased to respect liberty.

FID card- non large capacity rifles an shotguns. Can't carry on public ways. Shall issue.

LTC class b- non large capacity pistols and large capacity rifle/shotgun. Can't carry CONCEALED.

LTC class A- can carry concealed handgun and buy large capacity handguns.

Registration is FA-10 or E FA-10 done by dealer or seller of firearms. There are ways around it.

Add: LTCs are may issue by licensing authority. And they can/do put restrictions such as target, hunting, sporting etc.
Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OC for ME

FID card- non large capacity rifles an shotguns. Can't carry on public ways. Shall issue.

LTC class b- non large capacity pistols and large capacity rifle/shotgun. Can't carry CONCEALED. May or shall issue? Is this OC is OK?

LTC class A- can carry concealed handgun and buy large capacity handguns. May or shall issue? OC OK?

Registration is FA-10 or E FA-10 done by dealer or seller of firearms. There are ways around it. Ways around it? Is this lawful?

Add: LTCs are may issue by licensing authority. And they can/do put restrictions such as target, hunting, sporting etc.
Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
I'm a little slow regarding your answers, please accept my apologies.

Primus

Timing problem. You edited while I was typing. Thanks for the update.

That was my mistake, after i posted it I realized I didn't clarify about the May issue portion of the LTCs. That is the crux of the legislation they were trying to pass. Currently the FID cards (for rifle and shotgun) are Shall issue. But he LTCs are may issue and some licensing authorities play games with them. With the new legislation they were trying to open up that can of worms with the FID cards. Luckily, it was kicked back due to the efforts of GOAL and others.

http://goal.org/alert-defeat-chapter-180-part2.html

I previously posted on here that this legislation was coming up. I luckily get the updates from GOAL since I'm a member. It seems the good work GOAL and others have done is paying off thus far.

Also, yes OC is legal in MA. It actually came up in inservice a few months ago. OC with a Class B or Class A is legal. Need a Class A to conceal though. Unless they put restrictions on your license (hunting, target, sporting, etc.) And MA is a show ID state upon demand. I brought this up in the same inservice and didn't really get an answer I was happy with. The response was basically that we can demand and they have to show us ID because the law says so. I've since inquired and am waiting for a better response.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, if a person can own then, why even bother with permits?

duh ...

The gov't officials only want themselves to have an easy job.

OC for ME

That was my mistake, after i posted it I realized I didn't clarify about the May issue portion of the LTCs. That is the crux of the legislation they were trying to pass. Currently the FID cards (for rifle and shotgun) are Shall issue. But he LTCs are may issue and some licensing authorities play games with them. With the new legislation they were trying to open up that can of worms with the FID cards. Luckily, it was kicked back due to the efforts of GOAL and others.

http://goal.org/alert-defeat-chapter-180-part2.html

I previously posted on here that this legislation was coming up. I luckily get the updates from GOAL since I'm a member. It seems the good work GOAL and others have done is paying off thus far.

Also, yes OC is legal in MA. It actually came up in inservice a few months ago. OC with a Class B or Class A is legal. Need a Class A to conceal though. Unless they put restrictions on your license (hunting, target, sporting, etc.) And MA is a show ID state upon demand. I brought this up in the same inservice and didn't really get an answer I was happy with. The response was basically that we can demand and they have to show us ID because the law says so. I've since inquired and am waiting for a better response.
+1 Thanks again. Good info. It seems that liberty is not dead in MA other than in the state house. Keep up the good fight.

Kopis

I think i just lost one of my good shooting friends over this article. He is from the boston area and knows the chief of police personally (his dad was an LEO there for a long time). Anyway, he sent me the article for discussion. i told him that chief sounds like a domestic terrorist to which he responded "he is a really good guy and cares about safety. oh and besides, he caught the second boston bomber." I replied oh, he is the guy that violated homes without warrants and marched entire families out of their homes at gunpoint in front of small armies of heavily armed police? Not to mention that a citizen who was disobeying orders to shelter in place actually located the bomber, not the police as they were too busy holding kids at gunpoint. I fail to see how holding everyday citizens at gunpoint is beneficial.

Anyway, he just said we need to part ways if that is how you see it. I said ok......