Thread: Who Needs a Gun in a Hospital

Thumbs up Who Needs a Gun in a Hospital

Who Needs a Gun in a Hospital?
    http://entertainment.verizon.com/new...a_injures_3-ap

Doctor fired back at gunman in hospital attack

DARBY, Pa. (AP) A doctor who was grazed by gunfire from a patient in his office at a suburban hospital on Thursday helped stop him by apparently returning fire with his own weapon and severely injuring him,
    While not VA specific Since we were discussing posted Virginia hospitals in another thread I thought this would be of interest here.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Quote Originally Posted by jackrockblc View Post
    Thanks but I was referring this to the Virginia forum due to a discussion here about local hospitals being posted. And some of us don't follow PA forum.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Virginia hospitals are classic victim rich zones. Without a doubt that could happen here, but w/o anyone on the scene to stop the BG.

In the event mentioned, I hope the good doctor does not lose his privileges in that hospital or otherwise receive any administrative punishment.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Thanks but I was referring this to the Virginia forum due to a discussion here about local hospitals being posted. And some of us don't follow PA forum.
    I spent all morning and from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm with my Doctor. No signs at the medical center and since I can't wear real guns, I had two NAA Mini Derringers on. One Magnum and one Short. I don't think anyone saw them but they didn't say anything if they did.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I spent all morning and from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm with my Doctor. No signs at the medical center and since I can't wear real guns, I had two NAA Mini Derringers on. One Magnum and one Short. I don't think anyone saw them but they didn't say anything if they did.
    My cardiologist, Dr. Kaminsky with Bon Secours Richmond Cardiology Associates at 8243 Meadowbridge Rd. doesn't object to my 1911. When they weigh me, I tell them to take 3 lb. off for my friends.

Neither does LabCor object - right around the corner of the building next door for blood work.

Heal first Peter (no that is not the same as when Jane says it ) then work your way back up slooowly.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

real

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    My cardiologist, Dr. Kaminsky with Bon Secours Richmond Cardiology Associates at 8243 Meadowbridge Rd. doesn't object to my 1911. When they weigh me, I tell them to take 3 lb. off for my friends.

Neither does LabCor object - right around the corner of the building next door for blood work.

Heal first Peter (no that is not the same as when Jane says it ) then work your way back up slooowly.
    The smith looked real to me in greentop. Was nice talking to peter. must have jinxed me cause I spent 7 am til 10 pm at mcv the next day. Sounds like me with the naas, love those sneaky ones.
    If you can not move at 1100 fps, then pass me by.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    You OCd two NAA mini derringers? Please tell me you have pictures.

I've OCd a KelTec P-32 a time or two, but nothing smaller.

Policy versus Common Sense

Virginia hospitals are classic victim rich zones. Without a doubt that could happen here, but w/o anyone on the scene to stop the BG.

In the event mentioned, I hope the good doctor does not lose his privileges in that hospital or otherwise receive any administrative punishment.
    I wonder if the 'Grapeshot Doctrine' might prevail here .....

Office staff 'acted bravely'; doctor, patient had 'some issues'
    The psychiatrist, Dr. Lee Silverman, was grazed in the temple during the gunfight in his office Thursday afternoon with patient Richard Plotts, Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan said.

A spokeswoman for the Mercy Health System said the hospital has a policy barring anyone except on-duty law enforcement officers from carrying weapons on its campus.

But Yeadon Police Chief Donald Molineux said that "without a doubt, I believe the doctor saved lives."

"Without that firearm, this guy (the patient) could have went out in the hallway and just walked down the offices until he ran out of ammunition," the chief said.
    Verdict?

P.S. Oh look:
    Code of Conduct
    PURPOSE

In line with our Core Values of Integrity, Reverence for Each Person and Stewardship, we conduct our affairs with an emphasis on compliance and ethics. ...

Core Values

Reverence for Each Person
    We believe that each person is a manifestation of the sacredness of life.

Community
    We demonstrate our connectedness to each other through inclusive and compassionate relationships.

Justice
    We advocate for a society in which all can realize their full potential and achieve the common good.

Commitment To Those Who Are Poor
    We give priority to those whom society ignores.

Stewardship
    We care for and strengthen the ministry and all resources entrusted to us.

Courage
    We dare to take the risks our faith demands of us.

9. Health and Safety

Employees are prohibited from bringing firearms or explosives of any kind into the workplace.
    While you're at it, be sure and look at the reader comments from the first link. Someone actually suggests the shrink coulda just 'winged him' ...
    Last edited by Repeater; 07-25-2014 at 01:52 PM.

I have taken the wife to the Bon Secours medical building on Bremo Road every 6 weeks for the last 3 1/2 years and I always carry. At some point early on I was told that the complex was a gun free zone. After our first visit, seeing no signage to that effect, I have carried ever since and not a word from anyone. Glad to know I'm not alone.
    "The greatest calamity which can befall us would be submission to a government of unlimited powers" Thomas Jefferson

You know... many of the liberal persuasion would argue that health care is a "right," which means that being present in a hospital or other health care facility is also a "right." This diminishes their argument that it is permissible to make such areas "gun free" zones. How can you be required to give up one right in order to exercise another?

TFred

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    You know... many of the liberal persuasion would argue that health care is a "right," which means that being present in a hospital or other health care facility is also a "right." This diminishes their argument that it is permissible to make such areas "gun free" zones. How can you be required to give up one right in order to exercise another?

TFred
    Not to drag this thread too far afield but...

Seeking Healthcare IS a RIGHT (think Pursuit of Happiness)---- receiving said healthcare IS NOT A RIGHT!!!!! The receipt of what one has paid for under a contract (insurance or self pay) is an expectation that if not realized may be a legal tort or criminal fraud--- but IT SURE AIN'T A RIGHT! Now, one does have a right to seek redress of wrongs---- again no guarantee on receiving said "redress"!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

UPDATE!! Dr. Silverman, the Pennsylvania psychiatrist retained and complimented.

I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    who had last seen him six weeks ago. Silverman called Hunt to say their patient had arrived. from link above this

Nice how the system was able to ID the shooter six weeks prior; just shows the goofiness of even trying to.

sane-sane-sane- CRAZY !

I talked to several legislators in my state and they want to introduce legislation to insure that crazy folks don't shoot anyone...I informed them of the craziness of their lofty goals. Not only is it futile but likely just result in more shootings (crazy people will not obey any court order to turn over their guns, and tend to get real pissed off easily).
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 07-29-2014 at 08:32 AM.