• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who Needs a Gun in a Hospital

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Who Needs a Gun in a Hospital?
http://entertainment.verizon.com/ne...ng_at_hospital_near_philadelphia_injures_3-ap

Doctor fired back at gunman in hospital attack

DARBY, Pa. (AP) — A doctor who was grazed by gunfire from a patient in his office at a suburban hospital on Thursday helped stop him by apparently returning fire with his own weapon and severely injuring him,

While not VA specific Since we were discussing posted Virginia hospitals in another thread I thought this would be of interest here.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Virginia hospitals are classic victim rich zones. Without a doubt that could happen here, but w/o anyone on the scene to stop the BG.

In the event mentioned, I hope the good doctor does not lose his privileges in that hospital or otherwise receive any administrative punishment.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks but I was referring this to the Virginia forum due to a discussion here about local hospitals being posted. And some of us don't follow PA forum.

I spent all morning and from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm with my Doctor. No signs at the medical center and since I can't wear real guns, I had two NAA Mini Derringers on. One Magnum and one Short. I don't think anyone saw them but they didn't say anything if they did.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I spent all morning and from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm with my Doctor. No signs at the medical center and since I can't wear real guns, I had two NAA Mini Derringers on. One Magnum and one Short. I don't think anyone saw them but they didn't say anything if they did.
My cardiologist, Dr. Kaminsky with Bon Secours Richmond Cardiology Associates at 8243 Meadowbridge Rd. doesn't object to my 1911. When they weigh me, I tell them to take 3 lb. off for my friends.

Neither does LabCor object - right around the corner of the building next door for blood work.

Heal first Peter (no that is not the same as when Jane says it :p) then work your way back up slooowly.

thedevilrobyjohn

real

My cardiologist, Dr. Kaminsky with Bon Secours Richmond Cardiology Associates at 8243 Meadowbridge Rd. doesn't object to my 1911. When they weigh me, I tell them to take 3 lb. off for my friends.

Neither does LabCor object - right around the corner of the building next door for blood work.

Heal first Peter (no that is not the same as when Jane says it :p) then work your way back up slooowly.

The smith looked real to me in greentop. Was nice talking to peter. must have jinxed me cause I spent 7 am til 10 pm at mcv the next day. Sounds like me with the naas, love those sneaky ones.

Lyndsy Simon

You OCd two NAA mini derringers? Please tell me you have pictures. :lol:

I've OCd a KelTec P-32 a time or two, but nothing smaller.

Repeater

Policy versus Common Sense

Virginia hospitals are classic victim rich zones. Without a doubt that could happen here, but w/o anyone on the scene to stop the BG.

In the event mentioned, I hope the good doctor does not lose his privileges in that hospital or otherwise receive any administrative punishment.

I wonder if the 'Grapeshot Doctrine' might prevail here .....

Office staff 'acted bravely'; doctor, patient had 'some issues'
The psychiatrist, Dr. Lee Silverman, was grazed in the temple during the gunfight in his office Thursday afternoon with patient Richard Plotts, Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan said.

A spokeswoman for the Mercy Health System said the hospital has a policy barring anyone except on-duty law enforcement officers from carrying weapons on its campus.

But Yeadon Police Chief Donald Molineux said that "without a doubt, I believe the doctor saved lives."

"Without that firearm, this guy (the patient) could have went out in the hallway and just walked down the offices until he ran out of ammunition," the chief said.

Verdict?

P.S. Oh look:
Code of Conduct
PURPOSE

In line with our Core Values of Integrity, Reverence for Each Person and Stewardship, we conduct our affairs with an emphasis on compliance and ethics. ...

Core Values

Reverence for Each Person
We believe that each person is a manifestation of the sacredness of life.

Community
We demonstrate our connectedness to each other through inclusive and compassionate relationships.

Justice
We advocate for a society in which all can realize their full potential and achieve the common good.

Commitment To Those Who Are Poor
We give priority to those whom society ignores.

Stewardship
We care for and strengthen the ministry and all resources entrusted to us.

Courage
We dare to take the risks our faith demands of us.

9. Health and Safety

Employees are prohibited from bringing firearms or explosives of any kind into the workplace.

While you're at it, be sure and look at the reader comments from the first link. Someone actually suggests the shrink coulda just 'winged him' ...

Last edited:

POPS VA

I have taken the wife to the Bon Secours medical building on Bremo Road every 6 weeks for the last 3 1/2 years and I always carry. At some point early on I was told that the complex was a gun free zone. After our first visit, seeing no signage to that effect, I have carried ever since and not a word from anyone. Glad to know I'm not alone.

TFred

You know... many of the liberal persuasion would argue that health care is a "right," which means that being present in a hospital or other health care facility is also a "right." This diminishes their argument that it is permissible to make such areas "gun free" zones. How can you be required to give up one right in order to exercise another?

TFred

JoeSparky

Centurion
You know... many of the liberal persuasion would argue that health care is a "right," which means that being present in a hospital or other health care facility is also a "right." This diminishes their argument that it is permissible to make such areas "gun free" zones. How can you be required to give up one right in order to exercise another?

TFred

Not to drag this thread too far afield but...

Seeking Healthcare IS a RIGHT (think Pursuit of Happiness)---- receiving said healthcare IS NOT A RIGHT!!!!! The receipt of what one has paid for under a contract (insurance or self pay) is an expectation that if not realized may be a legal tort or criminal fraud--- but IT SURE AIN'T A RIGHT! Now, one does have a right to seek redress of wrongs---- again no guarantee on receiving said "redress"!

davidmcbeth

Banned
who had last seen him six weeks ago. Silverman called Hunt to say their patient had arrived. from link above this

Nice how the system was able to ID the shooter six weeks prior; just shows the goofiness of even trying to.

sane-sane-sane- CRAZY !

I talked to several legislators in my state and they want to introduce legislation to insure that crazy folks don't shoot anyone...I informed them of the craziness of their lofty goals. Not only is it futile but likely just result in more shootings (crazy people will not obey any court order to turn over their guns, and tend to get real pissed off easily).

Last edited: